May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Hi

Hoping to get the benefit of some experienced advice here. Damaged my awning in a rain storm last year, so hoping to get it right this year

We have a Thule Omnistor 4900, 3.5 metre awning that needs some hold down straps. Thule offer a side strap kit that clips into the top of the support poles, but our poles are different and do not have the clips on

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...old-down-side-strap-kit-_-productgroup_197094

The Thule alternative seems to be a strap that threads over the telescopic support arms, but it looks a bit crude

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...ies/thule-hold-down-kit-_-productgroup_197095

I was wondering about these from Parrotsol, which are claimed to fit into the front groove of the awning, and look neat with a ratchet tightener

http://www.parrotsol.co.uk/index_files/Page586.htm

Any advice, good or bad about these methods would be appreciated

TIA

Pat

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Faimma also do some, mine slide in the front of sunshade there is a groove there. We do use them when a small breeze but any strong winds allways take the shade in, it's too much money to replace and can damage van. I have seen some flapping like demented bird and then flip right over the van peaple still sat in the van. :eek:Only takes a couple of minutes to take in so why risk it. (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Never heard of parrotsol but i have the same thing made by lillipad leisure.

Definately the best option but a heavy spring at one end will allow a little movement and prevent overtightening and damage to the legs.
you will also need long heavy duty stakes.....i have seen some anchored with tent pegs, might as well put the strap under a house brick for what good tent pegs do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are you sure your poles are different?

We bought the Omnisor straps and at first thought I had been done, couldn't see where to attach them, the little z shaped clips fit into barely obvious openings on the top of the legs

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 129

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
This is what I use in my omnistore awning and it has springs fitted so that they take the tension up in any high winds.

John.

Broken Link Removed

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We have the straps, spring and large pegs, it will stop the awning flipping onto the van but I'm sure it does the canopy fabric no good (stretches it).

Anything other than light breeze, we now wind it in and always before bed. Can't stand the flapping !

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have the Fiamma kit.. Works well and is an extra handy place to fix solar lights

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Once you witness one over the roof of a van and the damage it can do to both awning and bodywork, you will never again contemplate leaving it out when it gets windy..

If it needs tie down straps, it's time to get it in..

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Some tie down straps clip (slide) into the front edge of the awning and some clip into the top of the pole.
Like many others, if there looks like wind coming, I take the awning down or wind it in, Damage could exceed reasonable costs.
I see several people throw a strap over the awning and peg it down either side or feed it through the top of the inner support bars. I would worry about the damage to the fabric but I guess that is their decision.

Alan

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
The strap we have clips into the outside of the pole so I cant see from that photo

Just packing for Chester right now so cant easily get you a photo but will try while away (y)

Thanks for that, I would like to use Side Straps if possible, they look neater, no hurry. Have a good w/end

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back