Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Not me, I already live here, but on our more local travels around Kent I've remarked to Mrs Simon that if we didn't live here in Thanet it would probably be one of our favourite places to come for a day trip!
Loads of easy parking for motorhomes, long coastal walks, plenty of good pubs and restaurants...
I sometimes wish we hadn't already explored every square inch of it :)
I'm nothing to do with the tourist board, by the way.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I like Ramsgate & surrounding areas.I was at bro-in-laws last September for a couple of weeks & thoroughly enjoyed it .(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
classic, nobody really appreciates what is on their own back door step

plus for me I was born in Margate, but moved away when I was only 5, but grand parents were in Broadstairs so know the area quite well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not me, I already live here, but on our more local travels around Kent I've remarked to Mrs Simon that if we didn't live here in Thanet it would probably be one of our favourite places to come for a day trip!
Loads of easy parking for motorhomes, long coastal walks, plenty of good pubs and restaurants...
I sometimes wish we hadn't already explored every square inch of it :)
I'm nothing to do with the tourist board, by the way.
Bit near London though........:(:(

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Ramsgate harbour is lovely, Broadstairs is lovely and hopefully Margate will improve - it's looking better around the Turner centre already and if they make a nice job of Dreamland hopefully that end will improve as well. I love living down here, I really like Sandwich and enjoy mooching around the coast. We went to Herne Bay on Sunday for a walk along the prom and even though it was raining there were plenty of people walking along the front. We rally locally which gets us to places we may not have gone.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never even heard of the place.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My first visit to Kent was way back in 1968, I came by coach with my cousin for a holiday in Herne Bay. Met a nice Irish girl.. happy days.

A couple of years later, I drove down with a girlfriend to Broadstairs.. remember seeing Ted Heath walking along the prom..

More recently have stayed on a CL near Broadstairs several times.. Margate is sadly run down.
Ramsgate is lovely .. when there I saw a boat in the harbour called the Girl Charlotte.,... I said to Jan, what a lovely name.. if we have a girl .. let's call her Charlotte... as so we did, she was born in 2000 .. I recently told her she was named after a boat.. not impressed :ROFLMAO:

My youngest son Paul, now married, lives in Chatham .. so we visit Kent regularly

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There is a saying about 'Kentish Man' or 'Man of Kent', I seem to recall it depended whether you were from the Isle of Thanet, one meant you were the other from the rest of Kent

Or its something else I have half heard years ago and got it completely wrong now :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Got to agree about Ramsgate harbour, especially on a sunny day.
I was lucky to be there when the Shtandart was visiting last year.
Broken Link Removed

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
There is a saying about 'Kentish Man' or 'Man of Kent', I seem to recall it depended whether you were from the Isle of Thanet, one meant you were the other from the rest of Kent

Or its something else I have half heard years ago and got it completely wrong now :)
The men of Kent /Kentish man is all to do with which side of the Medway you live/born.
As I live in a Essex I have no idea or care which is which.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Parents and Sister live in Ramsgate and we are a few miles away in Deal.
I worked in Thanet for 6 years around all the villages. Love it, till they start cutting the cabbages on a warm day.......

Allan

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Parents and Sister live in Ramsgate and we are a few miles away in Deal.
I worked in Thanet for 6 years around all the villages. Love it, till they start cutting the cabbages on a warm day.......

Allan

Small world, innit? People should come here just to sniff the rotting cabbage leaves, them and the seaweed in the late summer at Westgate

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Broadstairs is lovely out of season.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Every time we go for the tunnel, I say to Val that we need to have a look around Kent, but we're usually too time constrained. Val and her sister have been invited to a wedding in Preston ? down in Kent and are taking the van, I'm hoping her sister changes her mind so I can go instead (y) Mind you I've heard you don't get a head on your pint down that way :(

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Every time we go for the tunnel, I say to Val that we need to have a look around Kent, but we're usually too time constrained. Val and her sister have been invited to a wedding in Preston ? down in Kent and are taking the van, I'm hoping her sister changes her mind so I can go instead (y) Mind you I've heard you don't get a head on your pint down that way :(

Preston is near Canterbury and the pub in the village is very nice - good food too.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp

If you get the chance you could always take the long route to Preston. Just carry on along the A28 from Canterbury to Birchington, head for the coast then follow it right round the island.
Birchington, Westgate, Westbrook, Margate, Cliftonville, Kingsgate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, down to Sandwich past the viking longboat and Pegwell nature reserve, onto the A257 Ash bypass, past (or in to) Wingham wildlife park, through lovely Wingham itself, turn right and straight up to Preston.

Keep the wet stuff on your left and you can't go wrong.

As for the beer... there's one or two (hundred) pubs here ;)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would give the Turner gallery a miss, went last year when down there thought it was the biggest waste of time walking around it nothing I would call art in there

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
I would give the Turner gallery a miss, went last year when down there thought it was the biggest waste of time walking around it nothing I would call art in there

It does change often. It's not my thing but I dare say there are plenty who do like it.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It does change often. It's not my thing but I dare say there are plenty who do like it.
Probably, but wasn't a painting in there last year and they were excited that Tracey Emmin's art was to be displayed soon so I knew they were lying about being an art gallery:giggle::giggle::giggle:

joe

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
DON'T. The islanders are all mad, go to Sheppey instead and find out about real life and beautiful mountainous scenery.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
(y) Mind you I've heard you don't get a head on your pint down that way :(
Your right, they chuck the froth away and top it up with beer!
Faversham is nice in the sun, you can book a tour round the oldest brewery in the country, Shepherd Neame.

Whitstable is nice, some good restaurants, unfortunately, hoards of DFL's at the weekends, so we moved away...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back