Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
We are going home to York. We have always taken the caravan and then driven from the site. We have a 20 ft van , not to big. Do we park as normal or buy a small car and tow? My wife is disabled.

OP
OP
G

gavel

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
Not a very well structured question. We have a 20 ft m/h and I wonder where folk park in big cities when sight seeing?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you go down the 'a' frame route check your van has the towing capacity.

a small car will have a weight of maybe 1200>1500kg.
nothing to do with payload, its the train weight you need to watch for.

then theres the expense of an 'A' frame.....maybe £500+ fitted.

if the vans up to towing then id go for an 'A' frame for the convenience of having a car with you, especially as your wife is disabled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
20ft isnt too bad.

if you're stuck then supermarket carparks are a good bet.(few and far between in york center though :Doh:)
normally 2 or 3 hours free parking.

york railway station carpark should be ok but it will cost.

theres always the park + ride but i dont know if there are height barriers as iv never used them in york.

if the onstreet parking is in unmarked (lengthwise)bays just find a space big enough and stick your blue badge in the window.:thumb:

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
York Council tell you to use the Park and Ride, there is a parking area on a side street I dont remember though but its always clogged with cars We went two years ago and parked in the bus park and they gave us a £30. ticket and we paid the £8.00 parking fee
Wrote to the council explaining that we took disabled/elderley mother with us
so park and ride not suitable and they let us off.
the other problem with York is that all their car parks have height barriers so anything over 2 metres is a no no check their web site for car parks but I think you will only have the park and ride option. Hope that helps Rob

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not a very well structured question. We have a 20 ft m/h and I wonder where folk park in big cities when sight seeing?
Hi Gavel,

With a disabled badge, you'll have a wider choice than most of us. At 20ft, it'll be like parking a LWB Sprinter, or similar. I'd give it a try in several towns/cities before shelling out for a toad and associated towing kit. Just my opinion mind!

Jock.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi gavel it is my understanding that max towing weight on a car licence if test passed before 1997 is 750kg which excludes most small cars excepting qpod or aixam quadracycles or similar. If I am wrong someone shout please.
York Cclub site is a good stop just 15 mins walk from centre.
good luck

larry

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi gavel it is my understanding that max towing weight on a car licence if test passed before 1997 is 750kg which excludes most small cars excepting qpod or aixam quadracycles or similar. If I am wrong someone shout please.
good luck

larry
Hi Larry,

The 750Kg maximum applies to those passing the car test after Jan 1st 1997, unless they take another test for towing.
Passing prior to 97, usually resulted in gaining a B+E category.

Jock.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
good luck

thats after '97 Larry

if passed before '97 you will have C1+E (upto 3500kg trailer) train weight of 8250kg

if you passed after '97 you have to take a seperate trailer test to gain C1+E entitlement. train weight of 12000kg

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Jock

I passed my test 100s of years ago and thought the 750kg limit applied to me, thats good news I can look for something bigger to tow.

Ta Larry

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Jock

I passed my test 100s of years ago and thought the 750kg limit applied to me, thats good news I can look for something bigger to tow.

Ta Larry

have a look at your licence....check for C1+E...it will be there along with B and B+E

grandfather rights.

Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
York is a major parking headache, even for those with Blue Badges. We parked in a city centre car park in our Smart, displayed the badge very clearly, and arrived back at the car to find the jobswerth, rude parking attendant writing out a ticket. When challenged, he said his supervisors had told him to write out fines on all "non-local" badges as "most of them were illegal / bought off the Internet". He said we should appeal and the fine would be cancelled.

I wrote to the Council and got a response from an arrogant harridan who changed the story somewhat, called me a liar, and stated that the badge "was not clearly displayed" . Luckily we had taken a photo of it in the window of the car and there was a time stamp on the photo. So ended up with the fine cancelled, but said harridan screeching from on high about how traumatised the poor ickle jobswerth attendant had been by my daring to challenge him while he was "just doing his job". Yes, indeed.....NOT!

The experience tainted an otherwise great visit to a wonderful city and area. :Eeek:

The two CC sites are excellent - we stayed just outside town, near the A64 - but the CC site in the city is excellent if you do not want to take a car with you. Personally, I like to have the Smart as it gives one just that bit more freedom to venture further, especially when one of us has impaired mobility. We have a trailer and an A frame, the A frame wins every time for ease of use, although they both tow well. :thumb:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hello Gavel,

As Jock says, having a disabled badge, may give you a wider choice. Most councils have contact details on the parking pages on their web sites - York certainly do - so it may well be worth contacting them and explaining the circumstances as they might be able to give you extra help to meet your extra needs.

Graham

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back