GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
:Sad: We had a lucky escape at the weekend when we had an electrical fire in the engine compartment.

We had travelled about 30 miles to a local motocross meeting, which was held in a field on the outskirts of West Kennet in Wiltshire. We had just parked up, my wife and son had gone off to walk the dogs while I put the kettle on. After filling the kettle and and putting it on the stove I noticed smoke coming out of the bonnet.

I quickley grabbed the fire extinquisher, ran round to the drivers door and popped open the bonnet. The flames were coming from the right hand front wing, just behind the vehicle battery. Thankfully the fire extinquisher did the job it was designed to do.

The fire was caused by what I think is the battery isolator/emergency starter relay over heating. What caused it to overheat, I do not know. The house battery was melted at the negative terminal. I disconnected the vehicle battery postive supply to the relay and the positve cable from the relay to the house battery, however the rv would not start.

The RAC were fantastic, they tasked the recovery firm Greenmeadow Commercials, based in Swindon. The low loader was unable to get to us due to small hump backed bridge. So they towed the RV out of the field with a 4x4 and then winched it onto the low loader with no damge.

The most frightening thing is that normally when we arrive at a race meeting, my son and I take the dogs for a walk while my wife makes the coffee, thankfully due to a hip injury I was tasked to make the coffee. She admitted to me that she would not have known what to do. With 200 litres of LPG and 70 litres of petrol on board I dread to think what the outcome would have been.

I now await the estimate for the cost of the repairs and I would advise anyone to check the condition of their fire extinquisher and make sure your partner knows how to operate it.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thank goodness you are all ok and as you say a lucky escape

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you're very lucky you spotted it.:Eeek:

folks that DONT carry, at least, a smallish dry powder/foam fire extinquisher should be shot.:winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Well done Geoff: it was no luck that you were carrying the extinguisher, you knew where it was, it was serviceable and you knew how to operate it. Well done, a disaster averted. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back