skinflints bible how tight are you? (1 Viewer)

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sompe people are so tight
My brother inlaw brings the solar lights from outside into the house in the evening then when the children walk from room to room he makes them carry a solar garden light with them.
This is the man who climbed onto his roof then dropped a live chicken down the chimney so that in its panic it would loosen all the soot on the way down.
Then in thanks the following day he ate the chicken
Mr Skinflint.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Yea yea!! Don't think it's tight, good use of green energy if you ask me! Ideal for use in the bathroom when having a shower, just not sure where you stick it when using your hands. As for the chicken, a cookeral works better...>:)

OP
OP
R

redjohn151

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer b534
Exp
I'm a newbie
Brother inlaw is French

Enough said

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I found a pair of crutches and went home and broke the wife's legs.
Dropped a £1 coin recently, bent down to pick it up and it hit me on the back of the head.
Stand ketchup bottle in bowl of warm water to get the last bit to run out!

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
As you will see from my name, my father is Scottish, however my Mother was Yorkshire. I was born in Hull and raised in York.
I reckon there is no help for me!! :D:D

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I absolutely refuse to use teabags only once.
The house bricks in my back garden have had more re-incarnations than Buddha.
Flatpack furniture never gets thrown away - it is dismantled and the bits are re-used, including the tacks.
I use Araldite to repair sandal straps when they give way because the soles have completely worn through.
I water down the last dregs of washing up liquid to get a few more washes out of it. Likewise shampoo.

I think of it as being environmentally conscious in a throwaway society. Others would call me a tight git.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
My grandmother would carefully unfold the paper sugar bag after emptying in order to get the last few grains. Did the same with the tea (didn't use teabags). Nothing was ever wasted!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I freewheel down hill and put it back in gear when it slows to 40 going up the other side.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I worked with this bloke : one day we were having our morning break when he opened the messroom fridge and complained theres no butter ! so he put 2 rounds of bread under the grill for his toast and then rang his wife she came down with a tub of butter he spread his toast and she drove off with the butter they lived about 1 mile away ,on the other side of the wall of the depot was a small kiosk that sold everything I could tell you more tales but you probably would not believe me .

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I freewheel down hill and put it back in gear when it slows to 40 going up the other side.
That actually costs more money. If you are in gear, with no throttle, you use no fuel.

But when freewheeling, the engine needs to use fuel to keep the engine running :)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
That actually costs more money. If you are in gear, with no throttle, you use no fuel.

But when freewheeling, the engine needs to use fuel to keep the engine running :)

If that's true why does my rev counter show less revs when coasting in neutral than when going downhill in gear? ::bigsmile:

Attachments

• clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 18
  • clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 10
  • clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 8
  • clear[1].png
    clear[1].png
    137 bytes · Views: 8
Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I saved a lot of money by not buying a motorhome. I just read all about your adventures on this site.:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Pat has always been "careful", but the best I heard was that when she took her small son to the supermarket each Saturday she would put him into one of those kiddy's rids outside as a treat, but she never put any money in it. Of course the child was happy as he knew no better, until one day her aunt came out of the supermarket and seeing the child in the ride put some money in. I dont think she ever forgave the aunt for putting money in that ride.
I dont think I am tight, just because I turn the gas off when turning my bacon over.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If that's true why does my rev counter show less revs when coasting in neutral than when going downhill in gear? ::bigsmile:
The engine will be running faster but the engine management system will have shut off the fuel supply completely. On tick over, which is what it does when in neutral, it is burning fuel. Sounds odd, but 'tis true, free-wheeling down hills uses more fuel than if you leave it in gear.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
When you are running downhill with no throttle, you are using NO fuel. Revs not important.

But you use fuel to make the engine just tickover :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My grandmother would carefully unfold the paper sugar bag after emptying in order to get the last few grains. Did the same with the tea (didn't use teabags). Nothing was ever wasted!
She went through the war then we had rationing and that 1/2 teaspoon was important.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The engine will be running faster but the engine management system will have shut off the fuel supply completely. On tick over, which is what it does when in neutral, it is burning fuel. Sounds odd, but 'tis true, free-wheeling down hills uses more fuel than if you leave it in gear.
Yeah but it goes up to 80 FREE only goes 40 with the drag of the engine so the time burning at tickover is shorter so using advanced mathematics i gain 0.00128 mpg average over that distance. However the 0.000015 extra brake lining used over the 100 miles does negate the saving by 0.0009%

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back