South of France - Recommenations (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
At the beginning of May I'm heading to Pau for the Classic & Historic Grand Prix. After the racing is over I'd like to tour the area for a few (4 or 5) weeks initially heading east towards Perpignan. Carcassonne is a definite. Do any of the well travelled funsters have any recommendations of must see places on the mediterranean coast, the Pyrenees and anywhere in this area of France (excluding the atlantic coast)? Recommendations for safe aires would be helpful too. I have the vicarious aires book(s) but recommendations are always preferred.

:cartoon: in advance:)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
don't know if this is anywhere near where you want to go but it's well worth a visit - we stayed on several Aires in the area , it's really lovely there.
Broken Link Removed

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Errrrr...I can't say I am a "must see place" but If you need a stopover en route or a rest in a SAFE place ...you know what a PM is don't you;)(y)

Frankie:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
At the beginning of May I'm heading to Pau for the Classic & Historic Grand Prix. After the racing is over I'd like to tour the area for a few (4 or 5) weeks initially heading east towards Perpignan. Carcassonne is a definite. Do any of the well travelled funsters have any recommendations of must see places on the mediterranean coast, the Pyrenees and anywhere in this area of France (excluding the atlantic coast)? Recommendations for safe aires would be helpful too. I have the vicarious aires book(s) but recommendations are always preferred.

That area is beautiful.
Tons of places that way.
Nice costal cities in Beziers and Narbonne but I rather prefer the foothills of the mountains.
Mirepoix is a beautiful historic town, it isn't big but It's lovely.
The smaller towns are just lovely and I spend time in a town called Charlabre, which is very very nice.
Lake Montbel has an aire there which is lovely as are the small villages around it.
Some beautiful restaurants around the area.
The area is vast, you won't see 3 or 4 weeks and I guess there is beauty in each individual place.
Enjoy your stay, I know you will.
I'm back that way mid May.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Chalabre...is the right name;), just in case you look for it, and yes Mirepoix is a brilliant little town, and so is Camon, a very small and old village, with a castle you can visit.

At Montbel you have a very nice campsite too, right by the lake.
I love this area too , and as I don't live very far, I often take friends there!

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Chalabre...is the right name;), just in case you look for it, and yes Mirepoix is a brilliant little town, and so is Camon, a very small and old village, with a castle you can visit.

At Montbel you have a very nice campsite too, right by the lake.
I love this area too , and as I don't live very far, I often take friends there!

Where are you Frankie?
I've a place in Chalabre, up by the hospital.
Love Le-Rendezvous restaurant in Learn.... Owned by a British couple.
Also down by Rivel town a lovely place called Le Moulin de L'Eveque.
its a great area, my daughter out there at the moment for the Easter holidays.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I live in Balma , North Est of Toulouse. And my best friends live in Camon, so I have done the area a few times.
I don't know all the places of course but the atmosphere is very special. Lots of historic places and old architecture. I took Marie and Rex (PenelopePitStop) there once , they loved it too.
Foix is not far away either with a brilliant show in summer (July only I think, but to be checked ...if still on!) about the life there in the old time!

Ariège department is very dear to me. I love the mountains , and have done a lot of trekking there too.
My parents used to take us (my sister and I)there for Sunday picnic lunch, most of the time next to a river. We loved it, and I 've done the same with my children . My son Yannick is addicted to mountains too and became a climbing guide.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
another vote from me for Gorge de Verdon, presuming you like scenery and big drops :)

but it is a long way over, virtually in the alps, drive up through Grasse from Nice then head north

other than that we have not done enough ourselves down there since we tugged

let us know where you find (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Near Carcassonne, try Lagrasse. On the med coast a bit further down you've got Collioure. Both have aires - at Collioure you get a shuttle bus service to the seafront thrown in.

I can't say I was overly impressed by the look of the coast between Perpignan in the West and Aigues-Mortes further East but others may think differently. I'm a bit biased against the Med coast truth be told, as I like to see proper waves. That said, Aigues-Mortes has a some character to it, and Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer is worth a bit of your time, if just to walk or cycle into the Camargue landscape. It has various places for MHs to stop.

You also have Arles (no aires), Nimes, and Avignon to explore. Of the three we preferred Avignon, and stopped at Camping Bagatelle in the city, as the aire looked dire.

If you get the chance, try the Pont du Gard (campsite close by, best explored on bikes), and Ouzes.

While you're down at Pau I think it'd be well worth a visit to Biarritz-Anglet-Bayonne, but maybe that's for another time.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for the Chalabre area,the first time we went to the area we stayed at a site between Chalabre and Puivert,Eden 2,
sadly closed now.Mirepoix is a must,especialy market day if you can park!
It is also 'Cathare country',old castles to visit if your into that sort of thing

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Port Grimaud was really pretty when we went, but is was 15 years ago (y)

I feel I am talking myself into following you Phil :)

edit, but not parking too close :D

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I live in Balma , North Est of Toulouse. And my best friends live in Camon, so I have done the area a few times.
I don't know all the places of course but the atmosphere is very special. Lots of historic places and old architecture. I took Marie and Rex (PenelopePitStop) there once , they loved it too.
Foix is not far away either with a brilliant show in summer (July only I think, but to be checked ...if still on!) about the life there in the old time!

Ariège department is very dear to me. I love the mountains , and have done a lot of trekking there too.
My parents used to take us (my sister and I)there for Sunday picnic lunch, most of the time next to a river. We loved it, and I 've done the same with my children . My son Yannick is addicted to mountains too and became a climbing guide.

Know the area you are Frankie, but vaguely.
Yes, the area is outstanding.
Excellent cycling around the place, all the old railway tracks are now cycle routes.
I fell in love with it when I first visited about 5 years ago.... Be back about 3 times a year now.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Port Grimaud was really pretty when we went, but is was 15 years ago (y)

I feel I am talking myself into following you Phil :)

edit, but not parking too close :D

I will be passing you on my way down. I believe you will be at the twin lakes rally. If you park near me anytime, just make sure your van is well earthed :D

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Are you calling in at Twin Lakes?

Also just remembered Gan, the wine processing place (never did find out what they call a place that turns grapes into wine) south of Pau, free aire in car park of the 'cave'?? pizzeria and bakery next door, what more do you need :D, just not sure if they were only open for the tourist bit with tours etc

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I don't really have sufficient time to call in. I have 3 days to travel from Calais to Pau, get settled in then find my seat in the grandstand before the racing starts the following day. But I'll toot my horn as I pass;)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You've got to be near Nice at some time, treat yourself, go a few miles into Italy to Diano Marina ( as recommended by Staging Lady ). There is a nice cheap campsite/aire within walking distance of a typical Italy seaside town. Order one of these......

I1.jpg
I2.jpg
I3.jpg
I4.jpg
I5.jpg

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all of the suggestions which have been duly noted. Some of which I would never have thought of. Now to embark on the investigation and planning. Yippee(y):)

:thanks5:

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Have you invested in one of those copper pole things that stick up off your roof , you know the ones with the wire that run down to the ground ! Also DO NOT PARK WITHIN 30FEET signs in all windows, lol

Have a great trip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back