Hairy Hanging Down Things....... (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I keep seeing Motorhomes trailing these hairy tooth brush things behind the rear wheels. I suspect its an attempt to cut down on emitted spray in wet weather?? Question is, do they really work?? Or are just a pair of wide rear mud flaps more efficient, both in a technical way, and also a visual one?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Question is, do they really work??

"YES"........... Keep the Trailer/Toad cleaner and stop`s a lot of crud going up the back of the MoHo.. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
"YES"........... Keep the Trailer/Toad cleaner and stop`s a lot of crud going up the back of the MoHo.. (y)
Thanks MO! Sense at last..........(says the senseless one).

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a hairy grass skirt thingy on the back as well as mud flaps, it helps a bit , but toad still gets covered .:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've got a hairy grass skirt thingy on the back as well as mud flaps, it helps a bit , but toad still gets covered .:rolleyes:
And so, not worth the time, trouble and money?? I do think they look terrible, but if they do the job..........

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs

You must have the skirt too short, Bro...

Mine is about an inch or two off the road and works a treat.. (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do wish they could raise the damned things though.
Surely they should not be dragging along in the dirt but a couple of inches above ?
I have had the misfortune of following ( at some distance ) vans fitted with that road sweeping crap.. Our van always ends up covered in dust and or mud and stones depending on the weather.. Might keep a toad clean but every other road user suffers !!!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I fitted one and found it absolutely perfect ...........

.......... I'm sure the M11, M25 and M20 have never been cleaner than when we traveled to Kent with the brush fitted.:rolleyes:

As an added benefit I found all the road cr@p nicely compacted onto the toad.:mad:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I do wish they could raise the damned things though.
Surely they should not be dragging along in the dirt but a couple of inches above ?
I have had the misfortune of following ( at some distance ) vans fitted with that road sweeping crap.. Our van always ends up covered in dust and or mud and stones depending on the weather.. Might keep a toad clean but every other road user suffers !!!
They call them scissors, the things that make things too short,

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Me ? I will call you, and see this thing you have an "Inch or two ,off the road". You are not THE Bungalow Graham,are you.
Tea Bag. (Well off hte road now.............. Retired..LOL!!)

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well, thanks peeps. Still no wiser.........:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have one on my hymer (ex Portland) already fitted when purchased. Now I sweep the road where ever I go in it. I had to chuckle as my dad used to tell me when I was at school i'd end up sweeping the roads, how right he was!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They are called spray suppression systems and they do work. Lorries over 7500KG have to have them fitted correctly and clean by law.

Page 161 of this document covers them. They make a massive difference in heavy rain. I can't remember the exact % but I recall it is well over 50% suppression.
Broken Link Removed

I wouldn't have known about this had it not been for taking a course with Rick @motor roamin at data academy. It was brought up on the CPC course and some funny stories were told.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I'd like all the spray, snot and grit to go anywhere rather than hoard it up underneath my van with a mystic veil round her nether parts.
Like a Kilt, a lot of delicate WORKING parts underneath !! ;) Fresh air is good for them !! (y)

Last edited:

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
They are called spray suppression systems and they do work. Lorries over 7500KG have to have them fitted correctly and clean by law.

Page 161 of this document covers them. They make a massive difference in heavy rain. I can't remember the exact % but I recall it is well over 50% suppression.
Broken Link Removed

I wouldn't have known about this had it not been for taking a course with Rick @motor roamin at data academy. It was brought up on the CPC course and some funny stories were told.

Thanks for that Gromett,:nerd: This thread had the makings(y) and was just starting to slide into the usual dark depths, and now you've gone an spoilt it :crying1:
:D:imoutahere::smoke:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back