Visit to Northern Ireland and the Republic (1 Viewer)

Bosley1950

Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Folks. Planning a three week tour by Motorhome in June, any suggestions of routes or sites would be very helpful

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Parked up at Jordanstown Loughshore. Nice n handy for trips into Belfast.
Small site with padlocked gate. Nice little site and reasonably priced, last time I was there was 2010 though.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Knock shrine has a site next door,very nice,Irish Motor Home "Shindig" was meeting there at the time 4/6 ?years ago wandered across as the music was....Lively.. and was invited in,even though i was in a c/van. Site at Glenbeigh ?. Go to the pub down the road 100 yds,dance/music night. Black Pepper chicken,gallon of the black stuff,dance ?....YES ! But make sure you hang on to Bridy tight,if you let go,she spins you so fast you will exit via a WINDOW if your lucky not to hit a wall.
Inch beach... a must visit,you can drive on,on the wall reads.." Dear Inch i must leave you,for i have many miles to go" etc. Once you ahve been you will go back,me ?, i cannot go back,for they have burnt my............ BED !! LOL!!!
Tea Bag (An only twin)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi. You won't need me to tell you 3 wks will not be long enough to do both,so with that in mind for NI do a costal route taking in the Antrim glens ,giants causeway and the north west coast round to derry.. beautiful scenery. No shortage of sites all the way round...
For the south again I'd stay costal for a first trip . into donegal when you reach derry, then down the west coast ,Cliffs of morher ,,kerry etc and across the South coast .
By the time you get to Wexford your time will be up lol.
Never mentioned the east side and Dublin. .. you will have to return next year :) and do the inland bits...
P1000171_zpsc50010cd.JPG

Just remembered if you decide to visit the cliffs of moher stay at the site in doolin and take a day out to visit the aran islands .. the ferry runs from doolin harbour... when I was there they pulled this rather interesting object out of the sea, one of the ferries spotted it. its a jet ski that is reckoned to have crossed the atlantic from America ..
whatever you do I hope you enjoy and if weather is good you definitely will
ta andy

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We went to Eire last year and going again in May, last year we stayed on the aire at hoath just north of Dublin, nice town with a direct train in to town, also stayed at the greystone aire in Wicklow again a lovely town and well worth a visit,
Also well worth a visit to glendalough in the Wicklow mountains,
Very pretty place, if the weather is good you will really enjoy your visit,

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
We went to Eire last year and going again in May, last year we stayed on the aire at hoath just north of Dublin, nice town with a direct train in to town, also stayed at the greystone aire in Wicklow again a lovely town and well worth a visit,
Also well worth a visit to glendalough in the Wicklow mountains,
Very pretty place, if the weather is good you will really enjoy your visit,
Yes, Wicklow is a lovely county,....it's named " The Garden County ".......Glendalough is not far from me here in Wicklow town.....Beautiful place to visit. A couple of nice camp grounds near Wicklow Town also....

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Ok and now for a question, we said we would like to visit Ireland but have been told that the roads are a nightmare in MH- small narrow and drops either side.?
Is this true? Would love to go and all the above looks very interesting.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Ok and now for a question, we said we would like to visit Ireland but have been told that the roads are a nightmare in MH- small narrow and drops either side.?
Is this true? Would love to go and all the above looks very interesting.
Roads so bad that you best tow a tractor on an a-frame !
No, roads are OK in the main.
The main routes are 100% good, the small regional roads can be narrow but fine if you take care.
The small country lanes can be narrow and the surface can be poor but in the main you won't be using those.
Roads won't be a concern.... driving after a tight skinful of Guinness could be problematic though !!
Come on over, you'll enjoy it.... If coming to Donegal (North-west) there is a free pitch here if you require it.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
oooo Donegal here we come! Thanks, your country looks amazing, looks like a trip later in the year for us. Will ask more detailed advice when we decide route etc.Thanks for the reply
LC
I love this forum.

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
if you go to northern ireland its a must to do the coast road from Larne to Bushmills, taking in fantastic views a few yards from the road and incorporating Carrick-a-Rede bridge , Giants Causeway and Bushmills distillery, but the coast road encompasses the nine Glens of Antrim, it is beautiful, enjoy, we travelled this route and meandered through the centre of Ireland to Wexford for the crossing to Fishguard, brill

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We intend to finish our tour of Ireland this summer. We ran out of time, we started in Dublin and travelled as far as the Cliffs of Moher and then had to cut across country to get the ferry. This time we intend to go t'other way keeping mainly to the coast and will ask for sites and places before we start. Some of the roads are very narrow and made worse by the many coach's so be careful.(y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back