How many miles to gallon on Hymer 544K? (1 Viewer)

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Am setting off next week for first trip abroad, have only had camper a few weeks and only pottered around the local area so far so dont really have any idea of what mileage to expect. Its a 2002 Hymer Camp Swing 1.9 td. 3200gross weight.
Am I likely to acheive above 26mpg? Thanks for any replies I may get!

S

stagman

Deleted User
Am setting off next week for first trip abroad, have only had camper a few weeks and only pottered around the local area so far so dont really have any idea of what mileage to expect. Its a 2002 Hymer Camp Swing 1.9 td. 3200gross weight.

Yes I think you should be ok on 26mpg if not more.To make things cheaper only buy your fuel at the supermarkets,have a good one :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I would think more like 20 /22 if you pump up the tyres and drive slow :ROFLMAO: anything with a big bump on it's head is going to struggle to beat this figure from a hard worked 1.9 :Eeek: You may achive your optomistic figure on the m/way at arourd 45/50 mph ::bigsmile: (with the wind up it's back)if the wind is in your face it may drop as low as 17/18 mpg
be interesting if you keep brim to brim milage figures
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

solitaire woman

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Funster No
Of the two replies I think I prefer Stagmans! Bit like the weather forecast on line really, BBC predicts rain, Met office say sun!! I always hope the latter is right!
Will be keeping a record of the fuel, so will let you know on my return.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: sorry to be so negative :thumb: but if it helps we have just returned from a 2 week break in Devon & Cornwall -700 m/w mls / 250 non m/w mls and purposely keept speed down to 56 / 60 mph and returned 28.5 mpg :thumb: normaly get about 27 mpg but also travel at 65 / 70 mph :thumb: but before fitting a roofbox it returned 31 mpg from a 2.8 iveco td -4.2 ton - without the big head bump :ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: sorry to be so negative :thumb: but if it helps we have just returned from a 2 week break in Devon & Cornwall -700 m/w mls / 250 non m/w mls and purposely keept speed down to 56 / 60 mph and returned 28.5 mpg :thumb: normaly get about 27 mpg but also travel at 65 / 70 mph :thumb: but before fitting a roofbox it returned 31 mpg from a 2.8 iveco td -4.2 ton - without the big head bump :ROFLMAO:
terry

You never gave me a shout:cry::cry::cry:
Hope you had a great time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:Smile: Did'nt know Rodger :ROFLMAO: but we did have a good break with good weather only raining in the night :Cool: Stayed on a couple of nice sites one of which is worth a mention on here was TOLLGATE HILL FARM close to the Haven hols perran sands (as to why anyone would want to stay at perran sands beats me )Padstow was lovly unlike Rick Stiens chippy -cod and chips £7 - what a rip off ! would not live with a couple of yorkshire chip shops :ROFLMAO: The only downside was seagulls dancing on the roof a couple of mornings at about 5 am,:ROFLMAO: You were not throwing bread on the roof were you?:ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
M

mani01

Deleted User
mpg figures

ive averaged 35mpg and peaked at 39.9 in a 2litre turbo diesel hobby on a transit chassis (when checking tank full to tank full figures).

its possible to extend you mpg by a) being careful with the right foot b) coasting down hills (dangerous in some places, and i'm told illegal in the uk anyway) c) taking a powered run at a long downhill slope if you can see there's a long uphill slope the other side (i go from my average of 48 to 65 on the downhill so i build speed with the aid of gravity and use that to slingshot me up the other side, but be aware of following vehicles as it would be very aggravating to the driver following you to see you hare off down a hill only to "crawl" at 48mph up the final part of the uphill slope the other side (48? read on). i generally only use this technique when i'm safe to *and* on a 2 or 3 lane carriageway, giving others easy opportunities to pass me.

doubling your SPEED increases the drag on the vehicle by a squared factor, i.e. 2-squared, that's 4 times the DRAG, so going faster really takes it toll on fuel economy when considering drag coefficients.

the best ploy is to reduce speed to whatver the engine is doing its best cruise at, but sometimes a little slower may help overall mpg figures, remember the drag?

48mph is where the "balance" between engine mpg and drag seems about right for my particular vehicle.

my vehicle fuel bills can be 30% down on someone that guns it and has an aggressive driving style - i hate the idea of spending more money and fogging up the atmosphere faster, but i like to use the mh when i need to, so i'm careful with fuel use to help reduce pollution etc. cheers al

p.s. driving at night also helps mpg figures due to less congestion :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its a 2002 Hymer Camp Swing 1.9 td. 3200gross weight.

No.

Says a 2003 Burstner 1.9jtd owner. Very similar vehicle. And that involves sitting with the HGVs. I got it below 20 on one trip on my own cruising at 70.

Upvote 0

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Mpg

Hi I purchased a Dethleffs A class last year with a 2.3l and so far over 4000 miles we have averaged 31.4mpg.
No bumps on my head or the vans.
Have a nice one,
Regards, Wee John:winky:

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We manage to get above 30 mpg with our 2.8 Hdi Peugeot, which is fitted with a Van Aaken Smart Box, if we stick to a max of 55 mph. The mpg drops quite a lot when we get up to 60 mph.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Well I really don't know how you do it,

Our last van was a 2-0jtd, coachbuilt chipped and if I drove like an old man out doing his weekly shop I could maybe just scrape 25mpg. Long runs round towns, was not a lot of difference. Normal MPG was around 22mpg. If I was in a hurry then 20 was about the norm. This was always based on fill brim to brim.

New van 2.8jtd, little heavier :Sad: but bigger engine. This far I aint managed anything more than 25mpg. On the way back from Luxembourg to Calais I managed to dump a complete tank of diesel in only 250 miles (ish) :Eeek:

This worked out that I was getting about 18mpg:Blush:
Im not trying to justify owning an RV but at that MPG and some RVers stating they can get as many as 14mpg then I might as well have one next:thumb:

Nikki sadly is not convinced by my argument.:shout:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well I really don't know how you do it,

Some figures seem wildly optimistic, shades of folk glancing down at the computer and "OH I'm getting 35mpg".

It's the van conversions that sensibly claim high mileage. Luton is The Problem. You could not design a more effective air brake, big flat(ish) area that directs air downwards to create a high pressure on the windscreen which will then spread sideways creating turbulence all down the sides.

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Don't want to sound too iffy but some mileage figures for overcab coachbuilts amaze me. I drive about 80,000 MILES a year burning other peoples diesel so I do know how to drive economically when it suits the particular job I am on, but I struggle to better 25 mpg when cruising in my low profile i.e. 55-60 mph. Giving it a bit can easily see the teens.Perhaps some of these figures are from optimistic computers with equally optimistic speedos.

p.s. I measure brim to brim and allow 2% speedo error which you can check with sat nav or use mileage markers on the motorway to compare with your odometer. :Blush:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
p.s. I measure brim to brim and allow 2% speedo error which you can check with sat nav or use mileage markers on the motorway to compare with your odometer. :Blush:

Oooooeer. I do brim to brim but haven't had the courage to factor in speedo error.

I know from GPS that most vehicles are more like 8% high on speed but I've never checked the odometer. It's possible that is much more accurate. Which is of course just what you said.

You can be sure that whoever programmed the trip computer made sure it did not under read.

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Oooooeer. I do brim to brim but haven't had the courage to factor in speedo error.

I know from GPS that most vehicles are more like 8% high on speed but I've never checked the odometer. It's possible that is much more accurate. Which is of course just what you said.

You can be sure that whoever programmed the trip computer made sure it did not under read.

Quite amazing how much less you do get per gallon if you do the sums properly. Sorry for the depressing truth but they do say the truth hurts! :cry::cry::cry:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Quite amazing how much less you do get per gallon if you do the sums properly. Sorry for the depressing truth but they do say the truth hurts! :cry::cry::cry:

No the truth doesn't hurt me in this case. Someone said to me that if you need fuel you need it. All we did was factor it in to the running costs to ensure we could afford the van.

Like buying a roller and then asking how many miles to the gallon it does.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Roller

Hi
::bigsmile:Drove a Rolls Royce Silver Shadow ( one of my Classic Car Ccollection) for five years. Toured on holidays a few times around Scotland and received just over 22 mpg ! brim to brim. Accelerate hard and average mpg on shortish trips could dip to 12 miles per gallon.:cry:
I think folks make too much about mpg on motorhomes. although we get well over 30mpg on our a class 2.3l , you're only doing smallish miles compared to normal day to day driving.
Regards, Wee John

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have to agree with earlier posters that some claims about fuel consumption seem so good that I wonder what is wrong with our Hymer? I think it is very easy to look at short-term results which can be misleading.
I know ours is not the most frugal, having a 2.7 litre Mercedes engine coupled to a 5-speed automatic (torque converter) gearbox, but I tend to cruise around 50 mph and don't 'cane it' on motorways - perhaps 60 mph. And the van is not a real heavyweight - 3,800 kg.

I have kept a cumulative spreadsheet record of fuel used and distance travelled over the two years that we have had the van. To date, we have run 12,817 miles and used 536 gallons of diesel. That gives a long-term consumption figure of 23.9 mpg. From time to time, I record figures in the high 26s / low 27s but that is just variations between fill-ups and short-term driving conditions.

Philip

Upvote 0

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Fuel consumption

Every drop of diesel I have put in my van has been recorded and averages 25mpg, But it must be said you must control the right foot and your speed, in my case I aim for 58/9 mph ( a fraction faster than the lorries that are governed to 56mph)
I also do most of my milage in hot places, France & Spain, where the hot air is lighter and doesn't have the same resistance as one would find in the UK. So I would say 25mpg on the continent and 21/2 mpg in the UK.

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
No the truth doesn't hurt me in this case. Someone said to me that if you need fuel you need it. All we did was factor it in to the running costs to ensure we could afford the van.

Like buying a roller and then asking how many miles to the gallon it does.::bigsmile:[/QUOTE

You appear to have done the sums properly and know the truth. The truth is only painful to those who delude themselves. :winky:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back