Phoenix

Free Member
Aug 24, 2007
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
The Department for Transport is planning two modifications to the MoT test and to increase fees from April subject to a consultation process which ran until February 27. The modifications are intended to help to prevent the display of illegal registration-plates; the other is intended to help reduce the number of accidents caused by 'light trailers' becoming detached from towing vehicles.
The MoT fee increase is due to inflation and the increased costs faced by VOSA in administering the scheme. The cost of a car MoT is therefore expected to rise from £53.10 to £54.00.

Extract from the magazine 'Good Motoring' Spring 2009 edition.

(Geo, any idea what they mean by a 'light trailer ' and could this affect our toads and A-Frames?)

Chris

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The Department for Transport is planning two modifications to the MoT test and to increase fees from April subject to a consultation process which ran until February 27. The modifications are intended to help to prevent the display of illegal registration-plates......
Increase in fee....no surprise there!

As for the illegal number plates, countless tens of thousands of these things are up and down the roads every day, which usually reflect the low mentality of the dummies that drive around with these things stuck on their cars thinking it looks impressive. It doesn't. Most look quite daft. The Police have the power to stop and give them a warning but never bother as it would take an entire force patrolling 24/7 to do the job.

When a car fitted with one of these potty plates goes in for MOT, all the owner does is swap them over for legal ones, then put the illegals back on once it's MOT'd.

Be interesting to see just how the DoT are going to wage war on the potty plates!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Be interesting to see just how the DoT are going to wage war on the potty plates!

be even more interesting to see how they are going to stop trailers falling off their hook.
only thing i can think they may do is.....
if a towbar is fitted it MUST HAVE a seperate attachment ring for a breakaway cable.....
either braked or unbraked.
A secondary cable/chain is already compulsory on <750kg trailers but not the method of fixing to towbar.
most just slip over the ball.....not good:Eeek: saying that.....mine does.:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The Department for Transport is planning two modifications to the MoT test and to increase fees from April subject to a consultation process which ran until February 27. The modifications are intended to help to prevent the display of illegal registration-plates; the other is intended to help reduce the number of accidents caused by 'light trailers' becoming detached from towing vehicles.
The MoT fee increase is due to inflation and the increased costs faced by VOSA in administering the scheme. The cost of a car MoT is therefore expected to rise from £53.10 to £54.00.

Extract from the magazine 'Good Motoring' Spring 2009 edition.

(Geo, any idea what they mean by a 'light trailer ' and could this affect our toads and A-Frames?)

Chris
Hi Chris
I would suggest that the editor of this article has picked up on a white paper being looked at by the Department of transport and governing bodies Vosa is a separate entity from the DT

Taking one at a time
Fees-- they go up every year around October time by a small % as is indicated by this proposed extra 90p
Registration plates. we have had the new rules on our system for almost a year now and were just about to implement them when someone pointed out it would be illegal to do so without a change in the law,so the plan was scrapped until further notice.
The new regs when they do come into being will impress an awful lot of people out there it's about 7 pages long on what a number plate should look like for the MoT Test even to the point of measuring the black line around the edge, too thick or thin and it will mean a new set of plate to pass:Eeek:
Trailers, to date I personally have heard of no plans to test tow bars or trailers, but why should I I'm only the bloke that has to make the rules work, so I'm bound to be the last to know,
I can tell you that the new 2 year mot suggested by the Eurocats has been dropped for the for the foreseeable future, so Vosa can concentrate on more pressing matters,TRAILERS maybe:Doh:
Geo

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The new regs when they do come into being will impress an awful lot of people out there it's about 7 pages long on what a number plate should look like for the MoT Test even to the point of measuring the black line around the edge, too thick or thin and it will mean a new set of plate to pass:Eeek:
:Doh::Doh:

So now Plod will have to carry around a bloody micrometre to measure how many nanometres an edging line is around a 'offenders' number plate?

Oh brother!! :Doh:

What on earth will they dream up next?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back