free antivirus help (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, AVG is coming up with wanting a payment , for some reason. Any one know how to get rid or better free av software. TIA

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I worked for McAfee for 8 years and can categorically say "Do not use Microsoft's own AV stuff"

I personally use Avast and have been happy with AVG in the past :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
MSE for me too since I dropped Norton ages ago. No known problems? How do we know there's no known problems with anything we use until they go wrong? 5 years is good enough for me backed up with Malwarebytes, CC and Spybot.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I personally use Avast

However, do note that Avast requires a free registration to function after 30 days, and the default installation installs the Chrome browser unless you uncheck it. Also, note that the OpenCandy advertising component is integrated into the Software Updater tool in Avast. More information about OpenCandy can be read Link Removed. Thus, if a user selects this option during the install they will end up with OpenCandy on their computer. My advice would be that if you want to install Avast you should not use the Software Updater tool.

Link Removed

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I used to test our product against all the competitors' against a huge array of viruses so am well aware of the good ones and bad ones.They all do these tests.

But Windows is full of holes and vulnerabilities which hackers attack. So it's not good sense to put your faith in a safety product written by the same people:laughing:

If MS's own AV product worked OK, they would just make Windows 100% safe. It doesn't so they can't.

It's all very well saying nothing's gone wrong yet, but it's a bit like saying riding a motorbike without a helmet hasn't killed me yet.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@Yorick Thanks for the advice.. and noted ..

just find it annoying that an anti-virus program has a default to add Chrome and OpenCandy .. this will catch out the less wary ..

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
@Yorick Thanks for the advice.. and noted ..

just find it annoying that an anti-virus program has a default to add Chrome and OpenCandy .. this will catch out the less wary ..
I know. When I updated Adobe the other day, there was a default option to install some McAfee software. Very naughty

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It's easy

Open the link and study the page.

Your free versions licence is coming up for renewal and the page includes a download option for free avg again.

You don't have to pay anything.

Reactions: JJ

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Often caught out by Adobe and McAfee when I forget but doesn't take long to uninstall.

I've had things gone wrong with my motorhome, something happens you deal with it. Peugeot/Bailey made the thing, they deal with the ongoing maintenance. If my pc was breached every day of the week I might look elsewhere but I'm happy with my protection. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi, AVG is coming up with wanting a payment , for some reason. Any one know how to get rid or better free av software. TIA
Sounds like on one of the program updates you accidentally downloaded the trial version of the paid version.
Uninstall AVG, download and install the Free version.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Default options pay their wages so of course they will add a pre ticked link to other products.

No different to Jim putting a forum link to his books except he would have to pay himself for allowing it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
anti-virus programs are probably the hardest programs to uninstall and successful get rid of all the registry entries, files and other bits and pieces.. the files are protected.. even with admin privileges, they can't be deleted..

try unistalling Norton, McAfee,Avast etc etc etc ... and see how hard it is.. most require a specific removal tool .. and even after using it you may still find traces . Even using Revo-unistaller doesn't get rid of them 100% ..

a list of tools .. http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN146

I'll stick with MSE and Malwarebytes..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back