will there be a change of attitude (1 Viewer)

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
James Brownsett is petitioning a letter to David Cameron for the provision of motorhome France "Aires"or German "Stellplatz" equivalent facilities for overnight stays, either free of charge or a nominal rate, with grey water and elsan disposal and fresh drinking water where possible.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
me neither, no links on google

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
He's the Prime Minister (for a few more months!) :D:D

Sorry to hijack thread.. Sounds like a great idea to me. Employment, parking income for local authorities, some for local shops and an advert for outdoorsy life. Win-win (apart from the nimbys)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
it will never happen until the local councils have genuine teeth on their use------they will be taken over by 'travellers' and everyone knows it----------sorry for the reality check--------but we would love to see them in the UK----bring us inline with the rest of Europe.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Thats great but can we imprison the people who put the fresh water hoses into their toilet cassettes.

IF they are designed sensibly that is very difficult to do------unless you want to fill your tank from the dump point rinse hose.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
with the government cutting council budgets and essential services being slashed.. aires are the last thing a council will even think about..

besides.. as has been shown by several other e-petitions , there is not a big enough demand..

this one has 2,384 supporters, and it ends this month ...

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It wont happen, and to be honest looking at the state of some of the abuse in the French ones, I wonder how long the French ones will continue in their current format

Sadly

Eddie

we have used quite a few and can't say we remember seeing an 'abused' one

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
People out staying there time, more vans crammed in that the allotted number, people arriving late and leaving early to avoid paying, rubbish being dumped and loo's being emptied are regularly reported unfortunately.

My favourite on on the beach at Narbonne nowadays looks like a third world gypsy camp! Very sad

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
we have used quite a few and can't say we remember seeing an 'abused' one

We have just worked our way up from Spain as far as Limoges and we have not seen an abused one either

I agree it will never happen in England as there is too much pressure and value put on land

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
besides.. as has been shown by several other e-petitions , there is not a big enough demand..

this one has 2,384 supporters, and it ends this month ...

That's about the size of it. The change.org one is a complete waste of time, it doesn't matter how many signatures it gets it can and will be ignored. The one on the government ePetition site can be recognised and even debated in Parliament but not unless it gets at least 100,000 signatures.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Never happen be full of Itinerants and destroyed in days just had a massive problem with them here and its cost the council thousands to sort the mess out.
Agree with EVB seen quite a few in France in the last couple of years that have got really shabby and untidy that will eventually need to be shut. Saw 2 last year with broken barriers and long term travellers caravans on them with the usual Transit pick ups and rubbish strewn all over needless to say we moved on, but must be costing the town serious money.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As posted when this petition was flagged up before, it is a waste of time because it is misdirected, inaccurate in its assertions and the measures it asks for already exist.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Total waste of time because local councils will neither have the surplus cash or wish to spend it even if they did on such a venture .
They will simply say use the local caravan / camping sites

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Total waste of time because local councils will neither have the surplus cash or wish to spend it even if they did on such a venture .
They will simply say use the local caravan / camping sites
The way to obtain a different reaction is to provide evidence to the authority concerned that a stopover would benefit the local community. People did it with Fylde Council at St Annes so it could be done again if somebody would put the effort in.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
It will never happen in this country to any extent as much as I would love to see it. The Caravan Club hold far too much sway and dictate where/what/price

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thats great but can we imprison the people who put the fresh water hoses into their toilet cassettes.

Obviously this type of behaviour must have been reported to local authorities as I have seen quite recently on an aire , a new type of hose. You can't put the hose in the toilet cassettes as it is in a little strong plastic cage. This way you have no other alternative than to have about 5 to 7 cms between your cassettes and the fresh water coming out of the hose. No way for the hose to be in contact with a cassette!
A great idea indeed!
I always have a little hose of my own for fresh water and remove the one which is fitted on the tap, then once I have filled up with fresh water, I put theirs back on. If hose can't be remove I just forget about fresh water....

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It wont happen, and to be honest looking at the state of some of the abuse in the French ones, I wonder how long the French ones will continue in their current format

Sadly

Eddie
As a site owner, you may not want them, but the principle is great. The concept works and could be encouraged if we stick together.

Your post is the first and only negative i have ever read regarding aires and stellaplatz except for gassing, i know you travel abroad in your van and must have used them ......but now negatives......?

For all that say it will never happen .....wrong......St Annes has one and there is one in the Scottish borders....i'm sure there will be more...so if get behind it and it could get more popular.

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Some just out of town filling stations that have been closing in recent years are ideal spots for aires.......they have all the facilities needed and could turn rundown areas into productive sites again....just one idea.....where theres a will theres a way.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
As a site owner, you may not want them, but the principle is great. The concept works and could be encouraged if we stick together.

Your post is the first and only negative i have ever read regarding aires and stellaplatz except for gassing, i know you travel abroad in your van and must have used them ......but now negatives......?

I would happily sign the petition if I thought that this one would make any difference. Time and time again people get all excited about getting onto their local authority and it always goes to nothing.

I do use them when I travel and frankly owning a campsite has nothing to do with it. We charge about £15 a night so if there was a free air down the road for say five vans it wouldn't make any difference. However I have seen such discussions for since I bought my first motorhome at the tender age of 28. I am now 54 and still see the same arguments.

I have seen more and more decline and abuse of the aires abroad.

Overcrowding and anti social behaviour is the main problem, emptying tanks and leaving rubbish.

The only negative? Well this one makes two in a very short thread

Agree with EVB seen quite a few in France in the last couple of years that have got really shabby and untidy that will eventually need to be shut. Saw 2 last year with broken barriers and long term travellers caravans on them with the usual Transit pick ups and rubbish strewn all over needless to say we moved on, but must be costing the town serious money.

There are lots of posts about the abuse, often as part of bigger discussion about free camping.

I wrote a long post last year about touring around France, debunking the myth that aires are dangerous.

Would I like to see Aires in the UK? Yes, do I think that it will ever happen? No.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Folks.. he ( James Brownsett ) is a mere G6 Only one step up from a G8 !!
No one will listen to him !!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well nobody will listen to him unless he gets enough signatures. All those naysayers out there - nothing happens unless people get off their arses and make it happen. It only takes a few seconds to click on and sign it. I did it as soon as I read this thread. What have you got to lose? Other than the ability to moan for the next 20 years about it "never happening".

Rant over ........ and breath.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Some just out of town filling stations that have been closing in recent years are ideal spots for aires.......they have all the facilities needed and could turn rundown areas into productive sites again....just one idea.....where theres a will theres a way.
And who would pay for the sites?

Toby Carvery offer Motorhome parking at all of the sites

BritStops are as close as we'll get I believe

I am happy to pay Steve for his work compiling the Brit Stops, even though I own a campsite :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back