Trip to Alicante, any info on area's that are unfriendly to motorhomes (1 Viewer)

johnny K

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Home in Reading
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
Many years
Hi, we are traverling down through Spain to Alicante in three weeks time. I have heard that some towns in Spain that are very unwellcoming and even fine you if you go there. If any one has info I would be gratefull. also can anyone recomend places to visit. We like to wild camp, is it generaly safe, has anyone had any problems.
Many thanks, Johnn K :Smile::Smile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi, we are traverling down through Spain to Alicante in three weeks time. I have heard that some towns in Spain that are very unwellcoming and even fine you if you go there. If any one has info I would be gratefull. also can anyone recomend places to visit. We like to wild camp, is it generaly safe, has anyone had any problems.
Many thanks, Johnn K :Smile::Smile:

Not had personal experience myself, but, my folks overwintered in thier van near Benidom for 6 years and now live in Calpe, not far from Benidorm. They've looked all up and down that coast, first for campsites and then for a house. The reason the camped and then bought a house in the Calpe area is that it's generally considered to be MUCH safer than the Alicante area. When we visit, they're always telling us of muggings etc down near Alicante and are always saying how glad they are that they're not down there.
It's not the spanish that are the problem. Apparantly there is a big problem with Albanians etc down in that area and the crime rate is pretty rife. Personally, I think I'd find somewhere quieter if poss' but to be fair, I'm pretty biased cos I can't stand big cities.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

An informative thread on Spain

Link Removed

I have visited Spain many times and over wintered in Almeria.. but it's now off my travel list .. crime, police checks, few safe stopping places, lack of decent reasonably priced sites, hard to find LPG ..

Last year during the summer, the south west of France was flooded with Spanish plated vans .. you have to ask yourself why .. they certainly don't come for the good weather.. :RollEyes:

I would concur with Zaskar's opinion..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

katirene

Free Member
Feb 21, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
POp tOp
Exp
7 years
maybe useful info

:Smile:hi Johny K. i didnt use my van in this area but there is a great mountain area about 30k inland from Denia, its called Valle de Lugar. i stayed in a village called Benimaurell. the people are friendly and the area has the great advantage of having lots of fresh water springs that can be used as a water source. there is also excellent walking in the mountains and lots to explore. i was there off season so im not sure how busy it gets in summer months . i didnt hear of any problems with thieves and we slept at night with our hut doors open so that we could enjoy the fabby sunsets.

C7KEN

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
To the original poster. You mentioned Alicante. There are two wild camping places one just north (Al Campello) and one just south (Santa Pola)of alicante and both safe. Its Denia and Torrevieja that I would not recommend. See my previous posting on places to stay . There are thousands of Dutch, Belgian and German MH's down here at the moment along with a few Brits all wild camping and all quite safe. The Brits are the ones who fill the campsites. I dont normally use campsites but do use the spanish aires sometimes. Katerine has mentioned La Val De laguer I have also stayed there overnight and felt very safe. Inland places generally are safe

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
.................... Inland places generally are safe

Is that the case Ken? Dont get me wrong, I'm not arguing, simply asking your advise. Reason I ask is that the plan for ffiona and I is to finish early and get down there ASAP for the winters, just finding work back in the UK for our so called, "summers".
Problem is, everytime I visit my folks in Calpe, although I LOVE the area, being so close to the spectacular mountains, I have a real problem with the Spanish in that area (can't comment about the rest cos I've never been). They all seem so rude and abrupt! We were wondering if it's a general feeling on the coast that they simply dont like tourists (possibly because of the influx of headbangers in the summer?). We like the idea of being on the coast (our FAVOURITE place was Camping Sertorium-Villa Joyosa - RIP unfortunately:cry:)cos I love sea swimming but from what we've seen, the sites are PACKED, EXSPENSIVE and the locals not particulary welcoming? Kind of, "give us yer money and sod off!"
Are we wrong? Have we got them wrong, based on our limited weekend visits and are the sites / people better inland?

Bit early yet for us, but any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers::bigsmile:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes they do seem surly and miserable this is just the way they are.
Try a little Spanish with them and you will find that most (not all) are very helpfull.
They do not talk to each other they just shout this is normal.
I think the best thing you can do is buy my villa:Smile: (plenty of room to park the camper) get to know the locals all all will be sweet. See my web site.
And its only 30 mins from Calpe.:Smile:

C7KEN

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Zaskar
I think the spanish suffer from poor education even now. The better off Spanish send their kids to private because the state schools are generally poor. They do have some strange ways and dont seem able to see a good idea and copy it like french aires. Hogan is correct if you try a little of their language you can usually get a smile. They have recently built some aires though but they are not on the beach so not being used as much as they should be. They are about to have a big drive to promote tourism but at the same time allowing the garda to persecute some motorhomers. I have had no problems and in fact have had the garda stop and help when we had a puncture. To the best of my knowledge we are legal in every way and also spanish reg so if we are pulled in I would expect to have no problem. I have recently spent a lot of time with wild campers who are here from most of europe and have only spoke to one who had an attempted robbery . My friend from the UK was attacked twice in france with one occasion being on a campsite so its not only spain that there can be a problem. I always sleep with the alarm on which covers doors and glass breakage hopefully this gives me time to wake up and take aim :Smile:

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Expensive-Spain

Hi J,
We have just returned from a non motorhome holiday in the Alicante area. Visited several friends out there who are wintering in motorhomes. A lot are returning early due to the massive rise in site fees and everything else. We checked at two campsites and they are charging over £35 for a night but this goes down to £25 for a month. The usual wild camp areas are full of Dutch and as work is very scarce the immigrants are robbing anything that they can get a hold of. Fuel was dearer than the UK with food very expensive compared with here. Even the Police are swooping on the AFrame brigade with heavy fines and in some cases confiscation. The weather was very cold at night, down to 2 degrees at times, but during the day it was around 20.
Good luck.
Wilf

C7KEN

Free Member
Jan 5, 2008
Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Wiljoy
Your friends obviously are doing it all wrong. I am always wild camping, have no problems whatsoever, fuel is 80cents /litre at Eroski ie 72p uk rates. food has gone up because of exchange rates but if you know where to shop its still less than UK. If your friends are paying e35 per night for a campsite then why dont they move 12e inclusive of elec and wifi at the camperpark at alfaz. I have already given two good wild camp sites near Alicante and repeat again they are perfectly safe.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Camping in Spain

We have just got back on Friday from 2 months wild camping at La Nucia (evacuated from the fire but that is another story)
Although we were at my sons Villa we wild camped in the Street as we love sleeping in the Motorhome.
The Spanish neighbours were just great (as already mentioned if you speak Spanish they respect you more) I hope I put the Si's in the right place:Blush:
One of them was the Chairman of the area and he never stopped us from sleeping in the Motorhome.
We have wild camped on all the beaches to Alacante for a night at a time and we have not been moved on.
Even Alraco charges 30 euro,s per night (it does go to 14 euros if you stay 2 months or more)
So we have wild camped in Service stations all the way through France and Spain to Benidorm and back, and a Town Square (when we had to visit Patrick the vet and he gave us an appointment at 9am) with complete safety, so whether we were lucky.:Blush:
The Gaurdia stopped my son, when we went out in his car, as he did go through a red light (beware it is sometimes hard to see the lights) and they just let him go without a fine so they are not that bad either.:whatthe:
It was our first time abroad in the Motorhome and my husband is 71, and it has been the biggest adventure of our lives we have had such fun and havent spent a penny on camping.
Tolls and Diesel, food yes
We have really enjoyed the trip.:thumb:

T

tust

Deleted User
We had our 1st trip this new years to Spain, stayed at Marjal in Guardamar
.Link Removed
No problems, the Spanish area lovely and great with Children.

A little "Hola" Hello, and gracias "Thank You" goes a long way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back