Parking a (heavy) van on a grass pitch.... (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
....when rain is highly likely.
I'm guessing this is very unwise?
Are there any relatively bombproof ways to avoid getting stuck?

At the risk of boring everyone again, I think I'll probably have to strike the Luss C&CC off our list. Their hardstanding pitches are only for 8m outfits and we're 8.5m, so we only have the choice of a jumbo grass pitch. Husband's not keen. :cry:
Checked out the east side road to the Cashel forest site. :eek: Wouldn't want to meet another 9m van coming the other way.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

Grass is fine as long as it is well drained and solid just check first the warden will know if there is a problem, access roads can also be a problem.
We recently had a nightmare and got stuck on a recently badly laid blackash/hardcore road, had not been rolled properly so we sank and had to dig ourselves out. note to self NEVER follow site owner to pitch without walking the route first. Most rallies/exhibitions will be parked on grass without problem

You need to check the hard standing pitches out, they may be 8m long, this does not mean that they are not suitable for MoHo over 8m. Measure your MoHo from front bumper to the back wheels ,and also you overhang, back wheels to back of MoHo. Your MoHo may be 8.5m long but could still fit on an 8m pitch if your wheelbase is short enough and you can hover your overhang behind the pitch over the grass, we are 10m but fit onto most hard standing pitches

worth a try

Adrian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sites vary. Devizes C&CC is water retaining, hence they are mostly hardStanding. watched a few people miss the hard standing and plough into the grass.
Others have rock hard ground most of the year, Moreton C&CC seems to be like that.
It's always a risk, and the heavier you are it seems the deeper you can sink.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've only bogged down once, in the early days, when we arrived on a grassy pitch in Interlaken just after a freak hailstorm that was denting cars in the street. We drove out eventually, after spraying a lot of mud around. The rest of the time we've been fine on grass. Watch out for patches of sand on coastal sites - that can be a bugger.

Three words - Walk The Pitch before you pull in.

I also carry a pair of Fiamma grip/traction mats. They can be used on their own under the tyres, or under the levelling chocks, or just in front of the levelling chocks to provide additional support on soft ground.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I recently took the MH when running a trader's table at a weekend antique fair in a county showground. The organisers were directing MHs onto a damp grassy area beside the tarmac car park. I tested the ground on foot, thought 'Bugger that' and stopped overnight in the car park. A MH smaller than mine drove into the grassy bit and sank right up to his axles. He ended up paying someone with a 4WD to tow him out.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
In my experience if the van drives on the grass with very little resistance it will be OK. If you can feel the van being held back the ground is soft.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
....when rain is highly likely.
I'm guessing this is very unwise?
Are there any relatively bombproof ways to avoid getting stuck?

At the risk of boring everyone again, I think I'll probably have to strike the Luss C&CC off our list. Their hardstanding pitches are only for 8m outfits and we're 8.5m, so we only have the choice of a jumbo grass pitch. Husband's not keen. :cry:
Checked out the east side road to the Cashel forest site. :eek: Wouldn't want to meet another 9m van coming the other way.

A simple situation answer don`t park on grass, we rarely use grass pitch only camp sites, at 8.5m you will might well fit on the 8m pitch is there is sufficient overhang.

Caravan club and C&C club won`t tow you off if you get stuck since someone sued them after being pulled out of the mud claiming the warden had twisted their chassis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Annoying thing about the C&CC website is that they ask you how big your unit is BEFORE you can choose and book a pitch. So I only have the option of the grass one. Still, I guess I shouldn't be judgemental - I've never been to the site, so perhaps the electricity box is immediately behind the van pitch. :)
Bit of a pain that Luss isn't open yet to ask, but we could book and see how the weather holds.
Will purchase one of the suggested traction solutions (weight isn't a problem for us, except maybe if it rains ;)).
If the weather's been terrible and the pitch is poor, does anyone know if the club would reimberse you/release you from the booking, to try a different (dryer) site? There's a couple more on the west side of the loch that we could try, if necessary.
Thanks again, everyone!

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Take some bread crates with you and if your worried park your front wheels on them so at least you should get moving, as for the East Coast of the Loch you'll get along there no problem as busses use it and they have to get the static caravans in and out of the site at Rowardennan so your van should fit no probs just take it slow and easy there is only one real bad bend the rest is fine.

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We have a couple of bread crates (cut up) and I read that using a winter tyre can help, with regards to the use of hard standing at campsites maybe just say that the van is only 7.5m ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Every time this type of question comes up you can guarantee bread crates will be tossed into the mix. I feel sorry for the bakers!

Personally I would reverse on a grass pitch from a gravel or asphalt road - there's less distance to push if you need to!

If you can't pick your pitch or how you position your motorhome you may have strayed onto a CC or CC&C club site and as a MOTORHOME owner you have no right being there!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think I must be in some sort of minority but I must be the only person on this site that has never had a problem with a FWD van on grass. Even at music festivals where the number of vehicles make the ground a mess and even when it's been wet we've always just been able to drive straight off. Nothing under the wheels, no tricks or clever kit.

And now I've just jinxed myself and the next time I drive on grass I'm going to sink up to the axles o_O

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
We have a couple of bread crates (cut up) and I read that using a winter tyre can help, with regards to the use of hard standing at campsites maybe just say that the van is only 7.5m ;)
It did cross my mind to 'accidently' type 8.0m. Bound to get sat on the naughty step on my first day at school! ;)
Where do the Scots source all these bread crates? :) My dad was born and raised in Largs, but never told me how handy they are in a fix. :LOL:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well we are 8.5 metres and 6 tonne, but rear wheel drive and twin wheels and a diff lock certainly helps when it is really wet. If I think it is going to be really soft I have two sheets of 8 foot x 4 foot 18mm ply that I put in the garage, if I was stuck I could lift the back wheels with the jacks and pads to spread the load and slip the bits of ply under the drive wheels.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
It did cross my mind to 'accidently' type 8.0m. Bound to get sat on the naughty step on my first day at school!
We did this at a campsite in Germany, parked in front of reception, girl behind the counter looks at the van and says "Is it bigger than 7 metres?", "Nope" I reply, and off we went (we are actually 7.3m but what's 30cm between friends).
Checked out 2 days later, and we were charged at the less than 7m rate - nice! I am sure we more than made up for the difference in the amount of beer we purchased from the site shop :D

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
We have a couple of pieces of chequer plate which just happened to be left over from a project, and just happened to be the right size. Although "oi, apprentice boi" had to do a little cutting and filing in order to get it the right size and fit ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think I must be in some sort of minority but I must be the only person on this site that has never had a problem with a FWD van on grass. Even at music festivals where the number of vehicles make the ground a mess and even when it's been wet we've always just been able to drive straight off. Nothing under the wheels, no tricks or clever kit.

And now I've just jinxed myself and the next time I drive on grass I'm going to sink up to the axles o_O
I've never understood the FWD/RWD thing. Both A class MHs I've had have had more weight on the front axle than the rear. More important is the amount of rear overhang - on some vans it's enough to take weight off the front.

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The bread crate trick works, even at 7.3tonne of rear twin wheel Diesel pusher.!! ALL the mass is at the rear!!. I`ve used it on many rallies and Warner's Exhibitions, Festival`s etc; once you get it moving keep it moving VERY slowly, don`t rush it, that`s the mistake most make. They get going and then make a blind rush for the "Hard stuff".

Mind, once nearly lost it on a French site, the gateway was muddy and she started to slide sideways as I went through. SWMBO said it was a VERY close call!!

Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Good to know, Pete!
We have a big rear garage, which will have quite a bit of weight in it. Currently tripping over everything bought to fill it, in my hallway. :rolleyes:
BUT, we get to pick our girl up tomorrow! :party2:

Upvote 0

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Don`t forget to take it to the Weigh Bridge Before venturing out with it once it`s loaded!! "Up" here in East Yorks. Our local Constabulary have regular "Purges" and have been known to pull Motorhomes and weigh them AND dip the tank to see if your running RED diesel!!!

BTW ref grass etc; The other thing is to plan your escape route, hardest ground, hopefully with no puddles, and look for a down hill run even if it`s not the shortest distance to the Hard, always good to walk it first too.

Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
OK Pete, thanks for the tips. :)
Red diesel haha!
Cheekily avoided the grass pitch dilemma by booking a slightly (50cm) shorter hard standing pitch. :giggle: As far as I can gather, Luss seems to have a permanent rain issue, so it's likely that our grass pitch would have been cancelled anyway.
Nay bother - rain's good for ducks, boats and pisceans like myself. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
OK Pete, thanks for the tips. :)
Red diesel haha!
Cheekily avoided the grass pitch dilemma by booking a slightly (50cm) shorter hard standing pitch. :giggle: As far as I can gather, Luss seems to have a permanent rain issue, so it's likely that our grass pitch would have been cancelled anyway.
Nay bother - rain's good for ducks, boats and pisceans like myself. :ROFLMAO:

Yes it's definitely piecean country up there , it rains so much at Luss it causes a permanent puddle called Loch lomond,;) if you use the boat on the loch, check your depth , I've hit the propellor on the bottom a few times there, there's a place close to Luss called duck bay marina , it used to be great about 30 years ago don't know what it's like now:D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back