Swapping rear fog and reversing lights (1 Viewer)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The rear fog and reversing lights on my A-class 1992 Tabbert FFB 660 (Fiat Ducato) are on the wrong sides, being LHD, and I need to swap them. Swapping the lights themselves isn't a problem, but I'm wondering where the best place is to intercept the wiring? Cut into the wires just as they go into the light fittings, or is there somewhere else - towards the front, perhaps - where it would be easier?

Steve

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
:)Why swap them just add new on the o/s (UK spec) if its for mot I don't think the reversing light needs to be changed for this .I tapped into the wiring as mine has a m/c mount with accessory plug

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I did consider that, and it would be easier, but do the two fog lights not have to be symmetrical?

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
So long as they work properly and you can be seen if used in fogy conditions ,they can be whatever you like :)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Is it possible the wires are already in place just not conected?
Might be the same loom RHD/LHD

Mel

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The rear fog and reversing lights ... are on the wrong sides, being LHD, and I need to swap them.
Please excuse my total ignorance :( but... I'm not sure I understand this question.
If you need to swap them, wouldn't you have to re-do this every time you crossed the channel?
Wouldn't every car (with single fog/ reversing lights) that crosses the channel for holidays, business etc need to do this also?
I'm not trying to be smart, I really don't know. It's not something I'd thought about before.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The fog light(s) have to be in the correct position for the country where the vehicle is registered.

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The fog light(s) have to be in the correct position for the country where the vehicle is registered.
Thank you Steve @klaatu - now I understand

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
For safety's sake it surely would be best to have two High Density reds and two reversing lights though, that way you'd be legal and safe in any country.

Also if all manufacturers fitted vertical dip Bi-Xenons headlamps they would benefit from economies of scale
and no need for building another headlamp for all the right or LHD countries around the world, not to mention the fact that they are brighter then Halogen anyway.

Reactions: CWH
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it's like my 570 Classic the wiring is in the rear side locker. You should be able to do the swap by tracing wires in there. I can't quite remember but I think there is a junction box either under the rear or inside the said locker.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I did consider that, and it would be easier, but do the two fog lights not have to be symmetrical?

Steve
Motor vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980 and trailers manufactured on or after 1 April 1980 must have rear fog lamps.
One rear fog lamp must be fitted (not more than two may be fitted):
  • at or near the rear of the vehicle;
  • on the vehicle centre line or on the offside if one lamp only is fitted;
  • not less than 250 millimetres or more than 1,000mm from the ground (2,100 millimetres for agricultural vehicles, engineering plant and motor tractors);
  • at least 100 millimetres from any stop lamp.
Rear fog lamps must:
  • be equipped with a tell tale to indicate to the driver that they are lit;
  • be wired so that they are not lit by any braking system:
  • have an approval mark;
  • be red.
Fog lamps fitted voluntarily to motor vehicles first used before 1 April 1980 and trailers manufactured before 1 October 1979 must only meet the following requirements:
  • be fitted at least 100 millimetres from any stop lamps; and
  • not be lit by applying the brakes.

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I think this what I must have remembered reading, at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made

"Where two rear fog lamps are fitted to a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or to a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 they shall form a matched pair."

It's not clear whether "matched pair" includes their position, but even if not, it would seem to preclude adding an additional one on the offside unless it matched the standard one on the nearside.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The rear fog and reversing lights on my A-class 1992 Tabbert FFB 660 (Fiat Ducato) are on the wrong sides, being LHD, and I need to swap them. Swapping the lights themselves isn't a problem, but I'm wondering where the best place is to intercept the wiring? Cut into the wires just as they go into the light fittings, or is there somewhere else - towards the front, perhaps - where it would be easier?

Steve

I did exactly that on an imported Karmann .. it failed an MOT as the fog was on the near side and the reverse on the offside..

I simply swapped the lens clusters and rewired..
all you need to is remove the wire from each lamp holder, join a piece of wire to each and run to the other side and re-connect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back