Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I'm sitting up tonight with our little 14 year old Jack Russell named Scrumpy, when we got up Sunday morning I stroked her as usual and she yelped, the side of her face had swelled up overnight.
I phoned the vets and they opened up for an Emergency and I took her up there, he said that the swelling could be a blocked saliva gland or problem with Nymph glands.
The vet gave her a pain killing injection and antibiotic injection and told me to bring Scrumpy back today (Monday) to aneathnatise and take some of the swelling and send it off for analysis.
I took her this morning at 8am and left her with the vets and 1 hour later they rang to say that whilst Scrumpy was a sleep they found a rear molar that needed extracting so I gave the go ahead for this to be done.
Anyway I picked her up at 6 pm and she's was very drowsy, it's now 2am and she's not drank any water for nearly 30 hours so as I said I'm sitting up with her for the rest of the night to keep an eye on her.
John.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Hope Scrumpy is on the mend. These terriers are made of stern stuff ( I have a JR x) so hopefully will be back on track very soon.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hope she gets well soon, if she doesn't drink this morning give the vet a call.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
When one of my boys wouldn't drink after an op, he would at first let me rub water around his lips & gums. After a while he's lick the water off my finger, & gradually moved on from there.
I'd call the vet about it too.
I hope she's feeling better this morning - if she had a bad tooth that's now gone I'm sure she will be - she looks a real poppet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Awww poor thing. You feel so bad for them don't you? Hope she gets better soon!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Get well soon Scrumpy . Hopefully after the sedatives have worn me she might feel better today

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Hope Scrumpy is feeling much better this morning. Our Jack Terrorist Tia recovers so quickly from any trauma I really hope yours does too-they are a very resilient strong illness resistant breed

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Know how you feel, my cairn terrier Tilly wasn't well on Saturday so took her to the vets. He gave her an injection and thinks she's got a trapped nerve in her back. Been up all night with her laying beside me on the sofa as still not good. Baiting for vets to open at 8.30 to take her again :unsure:

Glad your scrumpy is on the mend x

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Bless her and we wish her well, Jack Russells are made of steel and very tough little critters.
We`ve had two in the last 16yrs, current Lucy is as tough as old boots.
Have been really lucky re visits to the vets, only once with a claw torn off.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hope she gets well soon, if she doesn't drink this morning give the vet a call.

She had her first drink of water at 6-45am this morning, just got to get her to eat something now so that I can give her medication.

When one of my boys wouldn't drink after an op, he would at first let me rub water around his lips & gums. After a while he's lick the water off my finger, & gradually moved on from there.
I'd call the vet about it too.
I hope she's feeling better this morning - if she had a bad tooth that's now gone I'm sure she will be - she looks a real poppet.

I did the same through the night rubbing water on her lips and gums.

Know how you feel, my cairn terrier Tilly wasn't well on Saturday so took her to the vets. He gave her an injection and thinks she's got a trapped nerve in her back. Been up all night with her laying beside me on the sofa as still not good. Baiting for vets to open at 8.30 to take her again :unsure:

Glad your scrumpy is on the mend x

Hi Allen & Loren I hope that your Tilly is feeling much better today it's very hard when our pets are poorly and they can't tell us what the matter is, and yet they always seem to know when we aren't very well.
I've also been up all night with Scrumpy beside me, and she's still with me now as I wright this she couldn't get any closer to me.
Please keep us posted how Tilly gets on.

John.

Ps thanks to all who've posted concerning our Scrumpy.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Hope Scrumpy feeling much better now, probably had sore throat after op.

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
The swelling that came up over Sat-Sun was exactly the same problem she had about 8 weeks ago the vet did all the tests blood etc and said it was a blocked saliva gland, fingers crossed it's the same problem and not her Lymph glands.
The vet has charged us £1000 so far, but she's worth every penny.

John.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
We sat up one night with one of our yorkies screaming in pain with his back out,laid on the floor with him all night not wanting to move him after getting him comfortable until we could get to the vets . The next morning raced to the vets with the wife holding him ,on her lap .I got out of the car rushed round to the passenger side lifted him up under his front legs ,and as i stood up his back end dropped ,he gave a yelp and whatever was out of place popped back in.The vet checked him out and apart from being a bit stiff after a couple of days was fine ,never had a problem since ,but i still break into a sweat just thinking about it .Hope Scrumpy is feeling better and gets well soon.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Scrumpy .... look what aiunty Joy got for you if you stand up, run around and wag your tail ... :)

images

OP
OP
Neckender

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hope Scrumpy is feeling much better today!(y)

and Tilly as well @allan & Loren

She's really picked up today, I hand fed her chicken & rice which Pat had cooked for her, gave her some pain killer meds and anti biotic tablet this was dinner time. This afternoon the window cleaner came and she gave him a good barking and tail wagging session, I took her on a short walk and now she's unconscious at the side of me.
Thanks all.

John.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Great news . Good to hear shes well on the recovery road. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks so much for the update @Neckender . It's such great news. Hugs for Scrumpy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back