Question- Twin rear view camera (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Question, I have a factory fitted Waeco camera on my Hobby van. Would it be possible to change this to a twin camera?

colyboy

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Yes it would, however you will need to run a second cable the length of your van for the second image or have some sort of switch arrangement in the existing cable..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Almost certainly won't just be a one off one on swap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I removed my Waeco single camera and replaced it with a twin lens system from . Picture quality was much improved (Waco 5 years old) and it's great to have one camera dedicated to reversing and the other for rear view whilst driving.

The system has a cable from each camera which join a single cable running to the monitor . The single cable hole for the Waeco was a little too small for the new cables but I found by elongating the hole a little, like a keyhole, I could put one cable through first and the second could then be pushed through. Fairly easy to remove the Waeco cable from my Hymer and replace it with the new one.

Mike

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Other thing to think about is what you are using to view the picture from the camera. If it's a dedicated Waeco monitor you should be OK but it you view it through something else, for example your cab radio unit screen or any other type of shared screen, you need to make sure that whatever it is will support inputs from more than one camera.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I removed my Waeco single camera and replaced it with a twin lens system from . Picture quality was much improved (Waco 5 years old) and it's great to have one camera dedicated to reversing and the other for rear view whilst driving.

The system has a cable from each camera which join a single cable running to the monitor . The single cable hole for the Waeco was a little too small for the new cables but I found by elongating the hole a little, like a keyhole, I could put one cable through first and the second could then be pushed through. Fairly easy to remove the Waeco cable from my Hymer and replace it with the new one.

Mike

Done exactly as Mike ,even using parking cameras, the Sony twin camera is a vast improvement on my old waeco unit and because it's cable and not wireless no more interference, well worth the effort to replace IMO

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
My Waeco has a motorised shutter, which moves up/down if you select reverse. There are two lenses behind the shutter, but I'm fairly certain there is only one cable coming from the unit (it must be a fairly recent unit as the van was registered in 2012)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have a Waeco reversing camera on my Hobby which is connected to the satnav and the picture is not that good.
I just had another camera fitted alongside it for a rear view which is connected to another screen, the picture is much better.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Yes you can use the same cable so long as it is the Six pin mini DIN

You will also need the 2 in one out switching box.

What is the model number of your monitor?

I have the latest Waeco twin lense camera on my RV in conjunction with a Pioneer DAB radio camper navigation set up.

I often tow a boT or car behind the RV and find switching between cameras idea for both hitching up, manovering and reversing.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Eddie Vanbitz.

Many thanks for your reply. I think I made a mistake by saying I wanted a twin camera. What I meant to say is I want a camera which can stay on all the time, which will act as a rear view mirror. The Waeco camera on my Hobby is five years old and I think has had it!. What would you suggest I look at? Can I swop a new camera in the place of this, but I take it I will have to have some sort of switch so as to have it on/off.

colyboy

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Why change anything then? Their is a wire (Green) I think that is connected to your reversing feed. Change that to an ignition supply and the system will work when the ignition is on. If you don't want it on, the ON/OFF switch can be used.

Saves money, time and hassle

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Other thing to think about is what you are using to view the picture from the camera. If it's a dedicated Waeco monitor you should be OK but it you view it through something else, for example your cab radio unit screen or any other type of shared screen, you need to make sure that whatever it is will support inputs from more than one camera.
I fitted a change over switch inline with the camera input to my stereo unit, if you connect the second camera into one of the Aux inputs it mutes the radio/sound when the input is selected.

P1090540.jpg

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
BRILLIANT! It's nice to see a trader on here giving sensible advice and not trying to sell something.
Many thanks Eddie

colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back