Wales this year - looking for site recommendations (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
For our annual extended holiday this year we're planning on Wales, an area of the UK neither of us has had any occasion to visit previously, so very much unknown territory. We're assuming that the tales we've heard of "unfriendy natives" are indeed just tales, but would welcome any advice on areas we should maybe avoid if the stories of anti-English sentiment are indeed true. Also any recommendations for sites to visit - must be dog friendly and preferably with a pub/eating house within walking distance.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
North Wales is stunning. We went last year but didn't have the MH then. We're going back in June. Also checking out sites ....

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Two sites close to lake Bala both great...just love north Wales, there are so many really good sites that you cannot go wrong.and such a beautiful country ,and that sentiment includes south Wales.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Anglesey is beautiful. There are a lot of temporary sites, look for signs at field entrances.
Bedgellert for a woodland damp site. Steam train stops at the site ( discount with C£CC membership)
Cwmcuttan is a really pretty small site with little lakes where you can feed the fish. You can catch the train nearby ( hold out your hand to stop it!)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Just off the top of my head...

Over the bridge to cardiff. Sofia Gardens site. Lots to do and see in our capital City..St Fagans, cardiff bay, Gavin and Stacy tour, comedy club, good restaurants shops and market etc.

Then onto the Gower, beautiful beaches, nice pubs good dog walks.

Up into Pembrokeshire...Tenby is a must see but needs careful planning, not very Moho friendly but there is a big haven site in the town, maybe worth a day trip only.

Along the coast to stack pool and Barafundle Bay (one of my all time favourite beaches) Marloes etc plenty of sites near by.

Along further to Newgale, Solva and St David's.

Up to Jims for a night of peace and quiet..red kite seeing.

Now start heading up into North Wales, I like Aberystwyth but I'm biased as my son is at uni there, some people don't rate it.

Snowdonia national park, britstops then onto Anglesey it's beautiful and very different!

You can then either go along the top of North Wales or come down the middle and walk in the Brecon becons.

Wales is full of everything you could want, friendly people, rugby real ale, good food, stunning coastline, mountains, waterfalls, castles etc come and find out for yourselves.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am biased but I think South Pembrokeshire knocks the socks off the rest of Wales.

There is a CC site at Freshwater East.

There is a pub about 1/2 mile up quite a big hill to get to it though I warn you.

Good fun coming down though.:)

Goshawk

Free Member
Mar 2, 2014
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
as with Mousy and Chris , loads of others including inland a bit, also a pub and other sites near New Quay, West Wales, Dolphin and Porpoise spotting, even a pub down at Fishguard , free if you eat in , and as a passenger, book a trip to Ireland , Wales , is very diverse , start down South and meander upwards ? enjoy, New Quay 7 miles from me

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we just love Pembrkeshire; Freshwater East; Solva; St Davids, Stack pole Quay, Barafundle bay, Broad Haven, Marloes. Bosherton lilly ponds. as you go up the coast to Cardigan there is Mwnt, Porth Gain. Aberiedy ( blue lagoon );
there are loads of stunning coastal path walks. pubs and nice restaurants;
barafundle.jpg
broad haven.jpg
fresh east.jpg
fresh west.jpg
mwnt.jpg
porth gain.jpg
solva.jpg

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Pembrey Country park CC site. Aberbran CC site (one of their £12 per night ones), also Gwern-y-Bwlch CC site (another £12 per night) and Bronderw Farm Llanrwst, (has three sites in one - general, adult only section and a CC CL)

balloonman

Free Member
Jun 5, 2011
monmouthshire+France
Funster No
MH
damon rv
Exp
Just off the top of my head...

Over the bridge to cardiff. Sofia Gardens site. Lots to do and see in our capital City..St Fagans, cardiff bay, Gavin and Stacy tour, comedy club, good restaurants shops and market etc.

Then onto the Gower, beautiful beaches, nice pubs good dog walks.

Up into Pembrokeshire...Tenby is a must see but needs careful planning, not very Moho friendly but there is a big haven site in the town, maybe worth a day trip only.

Along the coast to stack pool and Barafundle Bay (one of my all time favourite beaches) Marloes etc plenty of sites near by.

Along further to Newgale, Solva and St David's.

Up to Jims for a night of peace and quiet..red kite seeing.

Now start heading up into North Wales, I like Aberystwyth but I'm biased as my son is at uni there, some people don't rate it.

Snowdonia national park, britstops then onto Anglesey it's beautiful and very different!

You can then either go along the top of North Wales or come down the middle and walk in the Brecon becons.

Wales is full of everything you could want, friendly people, rugby real ale, good food, stunning coastline, mountains, waterfalls, castles etc come and find out for yourselves.
If you come over the seven bridge be fore you go to newport head up the valley to bleanavon
You will see big pit mine the steam railway and the Iron musuem all in the same town and dont forget they are all free of charge and a good pubwith good food The whistle pub and camp site.
free of charge , also there a good pub good food TheWhistle pub .

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Many, many thanks to all who responded, plenty of choice there for us - looking forward to it very much.

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: We're off to Wales in mid April until the end of May ::bigsmile: Really looking forward to it. This thread has been a lot of help to plan our trip. Thanks funsters ::bigsmile:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
This thread has been great.......we hope to visit this year....:)

Just wondered if anyone can suggest anywhere within easy access to Cardiff please???

I know of cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk but at £30/night & we need a separate pitch for the daughter it's just too expensive. I've been looking if there are any ths's but as I don't know Wales it's all a bit greek to me:rolleyes:......

Sorry for the hijack:blush:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you want a base in the Porthmadog area, which is nicely central for all sorts of N Wales places and has a steam railway station, there's three useful sites behind Black Rock Sands. One's a basic field with tap set up (Glan-y-mor), another (Glan Morfa Mawr) has been considerably poshed up since the Streetview car went past, with wash block, neat gravel pitches and EHUs for all, and the third (Touring Park) is down the far end under the cliff and a bit pricey. Greenacres is best avoided - small MH area inside a busy Haven holiday camp.

Up near Abersoch on the Lleyn peninsula there's no end of sites to choose from - it's worth a visit for the coastal scenery.

At Barmouth you've got Hendre Mynach at the top end of town. Barmouth is like a traditional seaside resort but with character and a human scale, and the surrounding area is lovely, especially the Mawddach Estuary over the bridge.

Down south in Pembrokeshire, which is a must-visit location, the trick is to avoid getting stuck out on a limb due to its crinkly coastline. We've used campsites near St David's, at Newgale, and in Marloes on previous occasions. The coastal bus services are good, so if you want to walk bits of the coast path you can camp somewhere central and use the bus to get around. Newgales's our favourite camping spot, and I personally prefer the central section of the coastline between Porthgain and Marloes, having walked the path between Fishguard and Dale some years ago. The Pembrokeshire coast is a National Park, so there's huge restrictions on what can be built there. Imagine Cornwall minus all the commercial crap and half the population of England in swimming costumes and you'll get an idea of how pleasant it can be.

I've never encountered any anti-English sentiment on any of our numerous visits to Wales. I think it's God's own country and I'm English-born. :)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
This thread has been great.......we hope to visit this year....:)

Just wondered if anyone can suggest anywhere within easy access to Cardiff please???

I know of cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk but at £30/night & we need a separate pitch for the daughter it's just too expensive. I've been looking if there are any ths's but as I don't know Wales it's all a bit greek to me:rolleyes:......

Sorry for the hijack:blush:
There is a cl just outside Cardiff near Culverhouse cross, called South lodge i think. simple drive into town or ok for local bus from near cl. but there is also park and ride that side of town.

or
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUs...aravan_Park-Cardiff_Southern_Wales_Wales.html

this is 5 minutes walk to the water taxi to Cardiff bay or 15 mins to shopping centre.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Phill D
Cheers for these.....I think the cl would be out this time as the daughter will be with us and we need facilities but looks great for when it's just the two of us.

Confused about the other - is this the same as cardiffcaravanpark.co.uk please?
:thanks3:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sorry yes it is. but there are other cls on the outskirts that have facilities.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
sorry yes it is. but there are other cls on the outskirts that have facilities.
Yes, I've just looked in the book (wasn't thinking of cl tbh as daughter will be in a tent).... Vishwell Farm looks like it'd suit, if they were ok with a tent.
Thanks, I'll try them:)

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are also off to Wales in late May for 4-6 weeks,we have not been there for yonks, Her indoors wants to visit Chester Zoo and Chester first,then on toAnglesey for the Classic motorcycle festival at Pembrey for 2days,then the rest of Wales from north to south, or as much as we can see,then home via the Cotswolds, that's the (semi) plan anyway. Caution, this plan is subject to change!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Anglesey is amazing (y)

I'm just looking at sites for our holiday in June.

Excellent CL near South Stack Janine (if not CC members they have one slot outside the CC bit for all comers)
Water, black and grey water dump that's it but quiet and right up Mrs BB and my street!!!! http://anglesey-escapes.co.uk/
Food at the RSPB visitor centre a mile and a half away. We can recommend the Breakfasts there and the Bird, Dolphin and Porpoise Watching is second to none! (y)(y)(y)
Come to Wales and Spend Your English Pounds.......................Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back