West Scotland sites (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
We've now decided to head up to Scotland over the upcoming bank holiday and beyond, in order to avoid the crowds and use our new boat.
Thought we'd try the famous 'Bunree' site on Loch Linnhe first - we need easy access to water as the boat weighs around 60kg (no trailer, just transom wheels) and the engine is 52kg.
We did consider Loch Ness Shores, but it's a fair bit further on (we'll be starting out from Somerset, eek, probably with a Britstop en route) and the road doesn't sound as easy as the A82.
Now I know the Jacobite steam train isn't running until May, but is it still worth it to take a train from Fort William to Mallaig? i.e. is it the same line that goes over the famous viaduct. Hope so - much more reasonable cost. Any train journey with the word 'steam' in it seems to involve large sums of money, which we'll be fresh out of, after taking the Dunster Castle Express. :D
How many days would you spend there (imagine the weather will be very wet - we're taking LOTS of games!)?

Coming back down the country we're torn between Loch Lomond and the Lake District. We know the Loch Lomond area well (we've stayed in the Cameron House lodges several times), but never been to the Lake District. My eldest really wants to visit Loch Lomond, probably for nostalgia. I've spent a lot of time looking at sites in both areas. The convenience/easy access for both road and loch would make Luss the number 1 choice (sadly our van's too big for Millarochy, anyway). Less bothered about stuff said about the wardens or road/hotel noise than the possibility that rain will make it impossible to get off the grass pitch. Seems a year round issue. Should we chance it?
Other options (remembering we need easy boat access) would be Ardlui, or forgetting about the boat and just enjoying the area for a couple of days down in Balloch (Lomond Woods).

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi jeannette, have you had a look on ukcampsites and pick sites with boat launch try this link and scroll down to Scotland.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=348

I know nothing about boats so excuse my ignorance does your boat only go in a loch or can you use it in the Sea also.
You have a long journey planned have you thought about the South West of Scotland some lovely scenery and far quieter than up north, I would have a look at these sites for starters Broken Link Removed it sits right on the Loch you could also try Brighouse Bay near Kirkcudbright they have their own launch but this is into the sea.
Then you could do the lakes on your way back down, also depending if you like an out of the way place you could try Tibbie shiels
tibbieshiels.com very basic site sits right on the banks of St Mary's loch next door to yacht club you could spend a few days there then head into Moffat for a few days. Just be aware its a basic site in the middle of no where well 17 miles from M74
There is also a council run site in Lochmaben sits right on the water not sure about boat launching but do see loads of wee sailing boats out on loch.
Just a few wee suggestions to confuse you lol if your interested and need more info just ask as I live in the area and you will find everything here that you'll find in the Hoghlands just quieter and cheaper.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is a great site, although it is fairly remote: http://www.resipole.co.uk/index.html
It has a slipway for launching boats into Loch Sunart. You should be fine going in April - the dreaded midges start a bit later.

It is a wonderful part of Scotland - IF you are lucky enough to get good weather!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Nice 5 van CC Newton farm, near Gatehouse of fleet Dumfries,
pitch right on the beach (or on the grass bank next to beach) bit basic , reasonable access to the sea over a seashell beach
upload_2015-3-23_13-49-23.jpeg

upload_2015-3-23_13-50-29.jpeg

upload_2015-3-23_13-52-30.jpeg

Dumfries and Galloway
54.852226, -4.252721

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we need easy access to water as the boat weighs around 60kg (no trailer, just transom wheels) and the engine is 52kg.

with that weight of boat and no launch trolly, launching from a pebble or sand beach will be hard work.. even with transom wheels .. been there .. got the T shirt
Slipways are best, but many or most are private and charge 'per launch'.. our local slip on the Deben charges £10 per launch.. :eek:

we took ours to the Norfolk Broads thinking ,, heh water everywhere., hundreds of boats, must be dozens of slips and 'put in ' places. .WRONG .. no public or council slips, we had to use a marina to launch and also had to buy a day boat licence.. £12 + £10 to use the slip..

When I asked about free to use council slips I was told they were either closed or sold off as they couldn't afford to insure them .. people slipping on them were making claims against the council. ..

If you go in on a beach at a sea loch.. remember to check state of the tide, it may be on the ebb.. when you get back to the beach it may be a long hard drag back up..

Have a look on here for sites with boat launching facilities..

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=348

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
... visit Loch Lomond ...

We went to Loch Lomond, Cashel, Camping In The Forest site last september, they have a slip way and boat storage area, it is almost directly opposite Luss very quiet, great spot. Wardens were friendly but a bit zealous on dog lead length.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Nice 5 van CC Newton farm, near Gatehouse of fleet Dumfries,
pitch right on the beach (or on the grass bank next to beach) bit basic , reasonable access to the sea over a seashell beach
View attachment 57472
View attachment 57473
View attachment 57474

Dumfries and Galloway
54.852226, -4.252721

This was always our favourite stop, Mrs Hamilton the site owner died a couple of years ago I thought the CL was now closed

@MHVirgins are just down the road from it, do you know any better Margaret or Bill?

It is truly a lovely spot for a few days of isolation at the right time of year (y)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Have a peek at the site WWW.Boatlaunch.co.uk , I used to drag a 26ft motorsailor around and launch it using slipways ,there are loads of slipways some of them free , most charge , the closer that you get to popular sailing areas the more expensive it becomes.
Ive said it before and ill say it again , please don't go on the water without a life jacket for everyone , a box of flares and a hand held vhf , the majority of accidents occur in dinghys , when I first got my boat I thought that it was just a case of sliping it in the water and having fun , theres a lot more to it than that , I even managed to ground myself in the Deben :cry: ,

I took about 6 courses and studied quite a bit to gain my coastal skippers accreditation from the RYA:)

Reactions: CWH
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi David, we stopped there in sept last year also popped into see Margaret & Bill while there ( lovely couple), agree a brill spot so relaxing, also New England bay CC site is right on the beach.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Lots of interesting suggestions, folks.
Couldn't fit our RYA powerboat training in before Easter, sadly. That's why we're trying to be careful about what we attempt to do.
Our boat certainly can go in the sea, but it's probably best if we stick to more sheltered waters until we qualify.
We have all the safety kit ready (stupid not to, especially with little ones) and we won't be venturing far from shore, or indeed at all unless the weather is calm.
I agree with you Jim, about the fees - they can mount up can't they. Also thought it best to avoid the Bristol channel tides. Worried we'd be on the news as THAT boat that had to be rescued half a mile off the coast, up to our knees in mud. :oops:
Think I've narrowed it down to Loch Linnhe (Bunree), one of the sites on Loch Lomond and/or the Keswick C&CC.
All the other lovely sites suggested will just have to go on our 'to visit' list. :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How long are you going for? There is so much to see. You'll be passing Loch Lomond on the way up or down. I'd be tempted to spend more time in Scotland and save the Lakes for another trip - there is lots to see there too but you might find that they are not as inspiring if you've just come from Scotland.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Boats are great fun ,it's a bit like motorhoming you learn as you go along I'd suggest buying a book from Amazon on the rya syllabus , it will help with the basics , there's a safety lanyard that attaches to the outboard.
Have you considered loch awe ? It's a fresh water loch , loch lomond is well serviced by the boating fraternity , from memory there's a slipway at balmaha , lots of campsites and a pub ,
The kids will love it , I remember allowing my 5 year old to steer on the river , I was hovering over him as his sense of direction was a little odd :)
:ROFLMAO: ,some of the islands on the Scottish lochs are burial grounds for the clans

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
please please please use this - it will cut out the engine in case of accident
I did a bit of heavy weather sailing whilst solo most folks would be moored up in the harbour , I always minimize the risk I wore all the survival gear ,radio,flares held in a harness whilst I remained clipped on at all times , I lost a couple of mates on the river deben they were both experience sailors, they dinghy out to their boat without life jackets and an undisclosed amount of booze in their bellies
Those of us who have messed around in Boats know how much enjoyment they can bring but are also aware of the risks , I'm a bit of an adrenalin junky , motorcycles , ex rig diver , solo sailor . Have fun but be safe :)

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
This is a great site, although it is fairly remote: http://www.resipole.co.uk/index.html
It has a slipway for launching boats into Loch Sunart. You should be fine going in April - the dreaded midges start a bit later.

It is a wonderful part of Scotland - IF you are lucky enough to get good weather!

I second Resipole and followed the road all the way to the ferry to Skye...fell in love with the place...went in Sept last year and this was the view from the moho:)

20140825_162409.jpg

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
I second Resipole and followed the road all the way to the ferry to Skye...fell in love with the place...went in Sept last year and this was the view from the moho:)

Looks great - definitely one to try. Reminds me of the Bunree site
pictures, and looks fab for boating! (y)

please please please use this - it will cut out the engine in case of accident
Don't worry, we have one and most definitely plan to use it.

Thanks for all the info Laird. :) Looking forward to getting some proper training down at Portsmouth harbour, later in the Spring!

How long are you going for? There is so much to see. You'll be passing Loch Lomond on the way up or down. I'd be tempted to spend more time in Scotland and save the Lakes for another trip - there is lots to see there too but you might find that they are not as inspiring if you've just come from Scotland.
We've got 10 days, including travel from Somerset back to Cambridge. Think you're right about leaving the lakes until the next trip. I know the point of MHing is to be mobile, but the van and boat are both unknowns and if I cram too much into the itinerary, we won't have a lot of time to enjoy them, or the fabulous views. Always next time. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back