Lake District with a boat (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
I know a few people have asked about and received recommendations for sites, but is there anyone who could let me know how easy the water access actually was? Places I've looked at include:

Hill of Oaks on Windermere (I know I need to register my boat) - the touring area looks a fair way from the marina and no lakeside pitches are available at the moment.
Keswick C&CC site on Derwentwater.

Would rather not move the MH as it's not very car park friendly and we would be carrying our boat on transom wheels (no trailer), with the engine on a trolley, where possible.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Windermere itself isn't ON the lake - Bowness on W, however, is.

There's defo a campsite at Bowness. Might be a C & CC, not sure as we've only been on the m'bike and stayed in B&Bs and cottages.

No idea about boat launching, but there is a yacht club in B, obviously with access to the water.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Do you generally find they charge extra for a boat on a trailer, i.e double the charge for a car and caravan? We don't but does everyone else and if so why?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Are you set on going to Windermere? If not consider Coniston, there is a campsite right on the waters edge, in fact I think there are two. Cannot remember the names but one is huge and without marked pitches, no hook ups that we could see but does have loos and fresh water. I think the other is a CC site. Try the UK Campsites web page for details.

Coniston town is an easy walk from both these sites.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Stayed on the Coniston CC site last year and I believe there is a back gate that you can use to launch boats and as Sandra says it is a 15 min flat mostly traffic free walk into town. (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's a back gate at the Bowness site (Braithwaite Fold) which is a short walk through a car park into a marina with a slip. If you go on Google maps, the path comes out at Dan's Shack, (which does good bacon butties too)
You can overnight in the carpark too for about £12 a night, maximum 3 nights I think, no facilities but there should be toilets at the marina.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Thanks for the replies everyone. Some good suggestions.
Yes, when I say Windermere, I mean the lake. The town's around 1.5 miles away, I think. The C&CC site is Braithwaite fold (BF). Would be a good site to stay at for a Beatrix Potter fix. :)
Just spoken to a nice lady at Keswick C&CC; the jumbo pitches are hardstanding and about 200m from the lake edge. Sounds just the ticket and no need to register the boat. Might try BF for a night to have a scout for a future trip.
Do you generally find they charge extra for a boat on a trailer, i.e double the charge for a car and caravan? We don't but does everyone else and if so why?
We haven't got a trailer, so getting the outfit to the water's edge is a concern. Definitely think a sense of humour will be required.:LOL: Might try and film our efforts to give others an idea of difficulty. As for fees, it will be interesting to find out how much they charge us since we can pack it away in the garage. Will let you know.(y)
Are you set on going to Windermere? If not consider Coniston, there is a campsite right on the waters edge, in fact I think there are two. Cannot remember the names but one is huge and without marked pitches, no hook ups that we could see but does have loos and fresh water. I think the other is a CC site. Try the UK Campsites web page for details.

Coniston town is an easy walk from both these sites.
Not set on Windermere for the whole trip to the Lakes, (if we go at all) just aware that this one probably has more choice of things to do for our 7-14 year olds in case boating is completely off the agenda. Will definitely try Coniston when we know our power needs. This trip will have quite a few FIRSTS! Wish me luck. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Stayed on the Coniston CC site last year and I believe there is a back gate that you can use to launch boats and as Sandra says it is a 15 min flat mostly traffic free walk into town. (y)
Thanks David - Coniston is one we will have to try as there are only 4 lakes in the area on which powerboats are allowed. Seemed to be some confusion on uk campsite as to whether you could go through the gate or not. Will ring and ask them.
There's a back gate at the Bowness site (Braithwaite Fold) which is a short walk through a car park into a marina with a slip. If you go on Google maps, the path comes out at Dan's Shack, (which does good bacon butties too)
You can overnight in the carpark too for about £12 a night, maximum 3 nights I think, no facilities but there should be toilets at the marina.
Thanks for the tip! Certainly much cheaper than the C&CC next door. Need to check how much power we use day to day before we 'cut the orange cord' as they say.
We only got the digital pump for the boat this morning (my door bell's been red hot this week!), so we're planning on assembling it and having a (slow) walk around our cul-de-sac to see how far we (I) can manage. Push-ups may be on the agenda!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

We were at Hill of Oaks last year. It is right on the lake shore and I recall seeeing people putting boats in the lake. They had the friendliest and most helpful wardens imaginable. I am sure a phonecall to them would provide all the information you need.

T: 01539 531578

Wyn

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Certainly can confirm that the Keswick site is perfect for your needs. Infact the water is so close that cars for towing caravans must be on site overnight incase of flooding! Also a short walk into town for shops etc and there is of course a bus stop outside Booths supermarket if you want to see the lakes without the MH.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Fantastic info everyone, thanks. So hard to choose between them all. I'm sure you remember the feeling!
Here's to many happy trips. (y)

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you are a member of the camping and caravan club look in the magazine or go online , There is a boating section , look through their venues or contact the section for ideas , there is also the canoe camping section or even contact the lakes / north west area rep for more info .

There may even be a THS or a DA meet on at the time you wish to go ,
if you are not a member it could save you money and be conveinient to join , we have been also to the various Motor caravanners sections meets up and down the country and you very rarely have to book ,

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Motorised boats are allowed on Ullswater, there is one site between Pooley Bridge and Howtown near Pooley Bridge that has direct lake access. We were on the lake steamers in September when a small motorboat drove right in front of the steamer, interesting experience being a passenger as the captain took emergency avoiding action, so be aware of them whatever lake you decide. It's much quieter, though still busy, at peak periods in the northern lakes area.

http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back