Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I washed off the roof of my van ready to fit 2 new solar panels yesterday, i was going to fit the panels today but i noticed there had been a leak in the shower room roof light so i removed it to reseal it,
to my horror it looks like it and the main roof lights have been leaking for years,
the whole interior of my van has to come out the entire ceiling has rotted and all the battens, absolutely everything, i am so gutted , i am a grown man yet i just want to cry, i was going away on the 7th of april, i dont think i will get it done in time, WHY ME,
I will try and get pictures to show you all how bad it is
pete

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Really sorry to hear your bad news. However since you were not aware of it previously is there any point in getting too stressed about it -Have your planned holiday then tackle it all when you return You'll be refreshed and ready for this new challenge which I'm sure you'll take in your stride comfortably.
Ian

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Really sorry to hear your bad news. However since you were not aware of it previously is there any point in getting too stressed about it -Have your planned holiday then tackle it all when you return You'll be refreshed and ready for this new challenge which I'm sure you'll take in your stride comfortably.
Ian
Got to agree with `oldflemo` - if it`s possible to put off until you return then do so. See what you can store to do the job before you go and plan to do it on your return. Don`t think about it whilst your away (easier said). I`m doing mine at the mo with similar probs to yours but I got everything in and I`m doing it 2 hours at a time so I don`t get peed off as I find more I need to do. Take heart - don`t lose it.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Bloody hell Pete I feel really sorry for you. Try to do what others have suggested and go on your trip.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'd go along with Ian & Janine. Oh, and HWM & John.
Have your holiday if you can settle to it & if it's safe.
Bu**er of a thing though, of course you want to cry, it's shock. Allow yourself max 10 minutes a day thinking about it & writing plans to fix it - then try to put it to one side & get on with enjoying yourself!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our last van was a 98 LDV rotten under and over, knew about it, mechanicaly spot on went all round france italy and Spain in it , loved it but when it failed mot for having no floor afraid it had to go:(.
But get in it and go , if it's been like it for years another month ain't goin to make much difference.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Fix the leak and go away on you your hols and let things dry out a bit...may not be as bad as you first thought after

Good news though as its a PVC...its not going to fall apart like a coachbuilt :)

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
And we thought we had problems !

Attachments

• 31103274_9X.jpg
    31103274_9X.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 477
  • 33502084_1.jpg
    33502084_1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 436
  • 31103274_9X.jpg
    31103274_9X.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 409

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to hear of your problems :( but at least it sounds as though you have the know how to do your own repairs. Not much consolation I know, but it will save you some money.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This will always be a disaster point all the time they keep making vans from WOOD it rots when wet and it always gets wet when they leak as they do. Sealers will work for a time but then the bodies flex and the stuff gives so in comes the water.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
This will always be a disaster point all the time they keep making vans from WOOD it rots when wet and it always gets wet when they leak as they do. Sealers will work for a time but then the bodies flex and the stuff gives so in comes the water.

Pete's got a panel van though, so it's a metal shell.
It's the roof lights that have leaked. You Have to have wooden batons inside. To put the insulation between and fasten ceiling up etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
Ok thanks for the comments people, the damage is too much to leave , i would not enjoy myself if i went away knowing the problems, so i have decided to strip the inside back to reveal the leak,
All the shower room has to come apart, i did not get a picture of that, but to my horror the middle roof light has leaked as well, so i am stripping out to at least halfway up the van, take a look at the pictures, they dont actually reveal the whole mess but you can certainly see some of the mess,
pete
004_zps1cy8bzgj.jpg

006_zpsjm0dnuax.jpg

005_zpsd0uvoo5f.jpg

001_zpsmx3googl.jpg

008_zpsl7dfdi7x.jpg

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Gosh. Gutted for you. It's totally rotten.
But it will repair. You've got a tough outer shell. To fix it all back to .
Watching Ralph do our conversion , if your handy, you'll do it yourself. Good luck.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't Panic !

I material costs it's not that bad. You being able to do it will save the day.

Time is against you, it takes a long time for any good wood to dry out. You need patience and warm air blowing.

OP
OP
UK Pete

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
Yes thanks , i will try and stay positive , there wont be any wet wood to dry out as i am ripping anything thats wood and wet right out of there , i cant believe that all this was going on and hidden from me, i will get it in a good enough state to enable me to go away, but i will now have to go to a campsite with a shower as i wont have the shower room finished, i was hoping to be doing a bit of wild camping
pete

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
You can still wild camp. Just strip wash. Think about before you had a pvc , did you ever have a tent ?
When we go to the funster meet at Whitby , our pvc won't be ready ( no upholstery , no water tanks (( still in America)) so no shower . I'm just thinking down the lines that it will be warmer And dryer than a tent . We may even have to take the camping stove !
Get your self away, enjoy your break. Remember it can be repaired. At least you found it before it spread into the lounge area.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we hope the weather keeps dry for you

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hang on in there Pete, you sound like you've got good plans to make sure you still get your holiday.

For wildcamping try Muc-off or similar:

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Good on you Pete, get stuck in there and sort it.
Stay positive and take it a step at a time and it will come together.
It's only material and time and with a strong attitude you'll get it done.
And..... Enjoy your stay away on April, in a comforting sort of way you will know you have the issues sorted and a proper van for years to come.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bit of a long shot but you can get treatments for rotten wood. I've used them on window frames and was quite impressed. They are resins which soak into the rotten wood then set solid.

Not a long term solution by any means but if you can get access to the timbers it might give you enough peace of mind to go away as planned.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi Pete. Sorry to hear this. We just had a small amount of damp damage fixed and I felt bad enough about that, let alone damage like yours.
Where and when were you planning to have your holiday?
Pete

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Ok thanks for the comments people, the damage is too much to leave , i would not enjoy myself if i went away knowing the problems, so i have decided to strip the inside back to reveal the leak,
All the shower room has to come apart, i did not get a picture of that, but to my horror the middle roof light has leaked as well, so i am stripping out to at least halfway up the van, take a look at the pictures, they dont actually reveal the whole mess but you can certainly see some of the mess,
pete
004_zps1cy8bzgj.jpg

006_zpsjm0dnuax.jpg

005_zpsd0uvoo5f.jpg

001_zpsmx3googl.jpg

008_zpsl7dfdi7x.jpg
Just a thought pete, has the wood been getting wet throu sweating due to the cold external steel surface or did you have a membrane in place to eliminate this
Did you use marine ply, or WPB board

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back