Another 'Tyre' rant.... (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I spoke to a tyre dealer yesterday who has been in the trade '40 years man and boy' blah blah blah......

Well he surprised me! I mentioned that the current received wisdom is that the tyres with the 'best' grip must always be put on the rear (every manufacturer says this)...... his answer was "what do they know, I'm an expert" ....... :eek: His view was to put the old nearly worn out tyres on the back 'coz they only have to hold the handbrake on' :)eek:)

This does not fill me with confidence at all. He also suggested that Michelin Camping tyres are rubbish and will wear out very quickly if used in the summer :eek:

I really got the impression that he is stuck in the past and actually knows very little about modern tyres and current thinking regarding their use.

:mad:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Get a new tyre guy.
Not sure where you are but if in our area I can put you in touch with my tyre guys they are superb.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Quick story on tyres for my car (two days ago). Found what I wanted on the internet. No, not crossply remoulds:rolleyes:. Chose a fitting station from their website. When I got there I asked what they would charge for the same tyres. The response, 'I couldn't even match what the online company were offering them for let alone charge less'. The suppliers were ASDA & the fitters Halfords.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I spoke to a tyre dealer yesterday who has been in the trade '40 years man and boy' blah blah blah......

Well he surprised me! I mentioned that the current received wisdom is that the tyres with the 'best' grip must always be put on the rear (every manufacturer says this)...... his answer was "what do they know, I'm an expert" ....... :eek: His view was to put the old nearly worn out tyres on the back 'coz they only have to hold the handbrake on' :)eek:)

This does not fill me with confidence at all. He also suggested that Michelin Camping tyres are rubbish and will wear out very quickly if used in the summer :eek:

I really got the impression that he is stuck in the past and actually knows very little about modern tyres and current thinking regarding their use.

40 years of experience unimpeded by progress!

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
40 years of experience unimpeded by progress!
As far as I'm aware advice, on where the new tyres (covers for those in the trade) should be fitted, has always been on the rear axle and they should be fitted in matching pairs.
None of this is compulsory in the UK, just very good advice.
Here in Spain, replacements for worn tyres, must be fitted in pairs, on the same axle, and of the same tread pattern, for the purposes of an ITV failure.

:cooler:

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
Which pair of wheel does most of the vehicle braking ? The Front

On most new vehicles which pair of wheels drives it forwards the Front

Therefore put the New Tyres on the Front

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User

Sorry @tinkering , the facts are that regardless of FWD or RWD the need is to avoid loss of control on slippery surfaces. More grip on the front will lead to oversteer...........will lead to loss of control. Don't take my word for it, just Google it and you will see.....

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.

You would think that this is the logical thing to do, but not so.

To have the worn tyres on the rear is putting you and yours at risk.

Understeer, loss of grip on the front is easy enough to correct even by the novice driver, as correction is achieved by lifting off which is the natural thing to do, and some light braking can improve the grip on the front, providing you don't lock up.
Oversteer, loss of grip on the rear, is more difficult to correct, and lifting off can make it worse, braking will only transfer more grip to the front, making things worse still. Accelerating can reduce some of the grip on the front and help to reduce some of the oversteer, as can turning into it.
This why you should always have your best tyres on the back.
FWD or RWD makes little difference as the laws of motion remain the same, in that a mass in motion wants to remain in the same direction.

JonMac46

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
Limerick, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry, but I like to have the best tread on the front guiding me around corners on wet roads. Tyre failure is thankfully rare; loosing grip is more of a risk.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Sorry, but I like to have the best tread on the front guiding me around corners on wet roads. Tyre failure is thankfully rare; loosing grip is more of a risk.

Yep we used to get a few customers who failed to grasp the concept and of course Newtons Law, so we would fit the new tyres on the front, after all it was no skin off our noses.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
You can lead a horse to water ..............:whistle:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When I started teaching Physics 5 decades ago the "4th Form" (Y10 now) started the Autumn Term with experiments on motion. Let a model car roll down a steep ramp and it goes quite well. Stop the rear wheels from turning by applying Plasticine between the wheel arch and the tyre and the car descends a bit more slowly. Stop the front wheels from turning by applying Plasticine between the wheel arch and the tyre and it soon spins round so that the stationary wheel is at the back.

I would put the best tyres on the back - Gordon

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

The tyre dealer is an idiot, a front wheel drive vehicle with 70%+ braking on the front requires the best gripe etc on the front tyres not the rear, they are just following.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
The tyre dealer is an idiot, a front wheel drive vehicle with 70%+ braking on the front requires the best gripe etc on the front tyres not the rear, they are just following.
Incorrect, the whole point is that the rear tyres should have the best grip regardless of FWD or RWD

(well the bit about the tyre dealer being an idiot is correct:))

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back