Insurance on towing a small car (1 Viewer)

johnny K

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Home in Reading
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FML
Exp
Many years
Hi, does any one have info on an insurance co that would cover a small car that I am towing behind my motorhome. I have been told that my motorhome insurance does not cover the car being towed, and my car insurance does not cover the car when being towed. Many thanks jonny K :Smile:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
When we had a European camper and first bought a trailer for the car we had the car and trailer insured with Saga and the motorhome with NFU.

We bought an rv and insured that with NFU but were a bit worried that we might have a coming together and leave Saga and the NFU refusing to pay up and trying to push responsibility to settle onto each other, so we now insure the whole lot with NFU and have found them to be very good. I think if everything is insured with one company it makes life easier.
Jan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
this quote worried us enough to call our insurane company , both our ford ka with fixed braked a frame and motorhome are fully comp at all times even when attached to the motorhome
our insurane comany were aware of how we described the tow car and its use

Hi, does any one have info on an insurance co that would cover a small car that I am towing behind my motorhome. I have been told that my motorhome insurance does not cover the car being towed, and my car insurance does not cover the car when being towed. Many thanks jonny K :Smile:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
When we had a European camper and first bought a trailer for the car we had the car and trailer insured with Saga and the motorhome with NFU.

We bought an rv and insured that with NFU but were a bit worried that we might have a coming together and leave Saga and the NFU refusing to pay up and trying to push responsibility to settle onto each other, so we now insure the whole lot with NFU and have found them to be very good. I think if everything is insured with one company it makes life easier.
Jan

Hi, so are we
Dave:thumb:

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
It is not necessary to have both vehicles insured with the same company. Just inform your car insurance company that the car is sometimes towed by a motorhome. Provided you have told them (and they might want a small increase in premium, although the good ones should not) then the car continues to be covered as normal. NU were quite happy with respect to our Colt CZC once I explained what an A-Frame was. If in doubt, put it in writing to them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

traveller353

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
southend on sea
Funster No
MH
motorhome
Exp
17 years
insuring a car being towed

Hi Jonny, we tow a smart car on a trailer behind our motorhome, we insure the motorhome,trailer and smart all with SAGA insurance, they are the cheapst for us as they are one of the few insurance companys that give full year cover in Europe, and there european breakdown cover for a whole uear is only about £80. Trailer cover is really good a an add on as again no retrictions for time in europe and didnt all the hitch locks that others insisted on. Hope this helps
Traveler353

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
towing

Hi we insure our van with caravan guard which covers the trailer, and the smart car with marks and spencers they say the car is fully comp on the trailer but only third party if i cause an accident which damages the smart car other than that all are fully comp.:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back