Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
The camper on the next pitch to me in Spain has experienced a headlight lens exploding on the way down . It is a Hella complete unit replacement cost approx. £1500 as far as he is aware the damage was not caused by any external missile and there is history of these exploding lights on Hymers . He is still under waraenty (vehicle 18 months old) has anyone claimed for a headlight through warranty or vehicle insurance ??

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have heard that other people have contacted Hymer when they had the same problem and that the unit was replaced FOC, even shortly out of warranty.

After hearing of these problems I put Lamin-X film on my lights and have not had a problem in 30,00 ish miles, just hope I haven't tempted fate by this post!

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It happened on my 2010 exsis.
Travelworld replaced it under warranty, my vehicle was also 18 months old.
Apparentlu it is the left hand side unit that is faulty. All they wantef was a picturr of the rear of the unit with any reference numbers on the back.
I bought the van from Brownhills, but Travelworld picked up the wattanty work.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
My headlight exploded on the drive when the van was stationery, 1 year out of warranty. Travelworld, who I had never dealt with, arranged a foc warranty replacement. It is a well documented issue, no idea to the cause. I removed the day running lights as I found the lens gets very hot, one day I'll source led replacements.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Seem to remember some time ago, Hymer admitted that some of this type of Hella lamp had been fitted 'under mechanical stress'

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
I have heard that other people have contacted Hymer when they had the same problem and that the unit was replaced FOC, even shortly out of warranty.

After hearing of these problems I put Lamin-X film on my lights and have not had a problem in 30,00 ish miles, just hope I haven't tempted fate by this post!

Mike
I've done the same, only problem was had to order Lamin-X film from USA

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
One of the Guys in the Hymer club used to make some polycarbonate covers for them, he doesn't make them anymore so I made my own.
Takes less than an hour to make a pair, cut to shape from 2mm UV proof polycarbonate, drill holes to fit suckers to hold on to headlamp also fitted a couple of ties using clear strimmer wire in case suckers failed, cost less than £25. Using the suckers gives about a 3
P1000038.jpg

The films are really to stop the glass going all over the road if the lamp shatters it may offer a bit of protection but not much.
If you do get a lamp go and not claiming on insurance they are only about €1000 in Germany.

nuttall-smith

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
stokenham kingsbridge devon
Funster No
MH
hymer duomobile a class
Exp
since 2014
Many thanks for the reply, I think making them is the answer, all the lights that shattered I assume were on Hymer A class prior to 2015 so perhaps the new ones don't have the same problem, touch wood.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Travelworld are replacing the shattered headlight under warranty excellant service

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Many thanks for the reply, I think making them is the answer, all the lights that shattered I assume were on Hymer A class prior to 2015 so perhaps the new ones don't have the same problem, touch wood.
I appeared to be a problem with the left hand lamp from 2006 - 2009.

muddywellies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2014
Varies in Europe
Funster No
MH
Ready to buy under 6m.
Exp
A MH virgin - but not for long!! ;-)
I like the idea of protecting the lights with 2mm Lexan (solid polycarbonate). Granted, there's nothing to do if the bulb explodes! But, I reckon it would be a wise precaution at any time, for any any age of vehicle. Though I think I will use white Sikaflex 212 to attach after cutting out....

nuttall-smith

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
stokenham kingsbridge devon
Funster No
MH
hymer duomobile a class
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for the reply, if you use Sikaflex 212 wouldn't the cover become permanently attached which is fine until the cover gets damaged itself. What a pessimist I am!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I like the idea of protecting the lights with 2mm Lexan (solid polycarbonate). Granted, there's nothing to do if the bulb explodes! But, I reckon it would be a wise precaution at any time, for any any age of vehicle. Though I think I will use white Sikaflex 212 to attach after cutting out....
If you use suckers you get an air gap and easy to remove for cleaning, if you are going to use an adhesive it needs to be clear or it will look dreadful.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
@Lenny HB Like the idea of the perspex cover. Did you have to warm it to get curve of lamp, if so oven, hot air gun? How are suckers attached to the perspex? Have seen some suggest using threaded suckers that take a bolt but can't see that in the picture. Have small stone chip in ours so I think I need to take action. Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@Lenny HB Like the idea of the perspex cover. Did you have to warm it to get curve of lamp, if so oven, hot air gun? How are suckers attached to the perspex? Have seen some suggest using threaded suckers that take a bolt but can't see that in the picture. Have small stone chip in ours so I think I need to take action. Thanks in advance.
You need to use polycarbonate not perspex I used Lexan, 2mm is thin enough to follow the curve of the lamps without any heating, you can use suckers wth screws I prefer the ones that push in. I used an under size hole so they were a struggle to get in but will never come out. Also put a loop of thin clear strimmer line around the back of the lamps so if the suckers gave way I don't lose the cover.

Broken Link Removed

Clear Strimmer line - Poundland

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
You need to use polycarbonate not perspex I used Lexan, 2mm is thin enough to follow the curve of the lamps without any heating, you can use suckers wth screws I prefer the ones that push in. I used an under size hole so they were a struggle to get in but will never come out. Also put a loop of thin clear strimmer line around the back of the lamps so if the suckers gave way I don't lose the cover.

Excellent info , just what I was looking for, thank you. A little job for when we get home.

Broken Link Removed

Clear Strimmer line - Poundland

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
I'll try again, excellent info Lenny, a little job for when we get home. Thanks