ELECTRIC BIKE (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Just clocked up my first 100 miles on my new Kalkhoff Impulse 8 electric bike. If any Funsters are thinking of buying an electric pedal assist bike I can thoroughly recommend thes bikes. The latest being a belt drive, quieter, no maintenance and lasts 5 times longer than a chain. The new battery on ECO Mode has a range of 120 MILES. I am 15+ stone and realistically it looks as if I am going to get around 90 miles Eco, 45 miles Sport and 30miles on high assist. These bikes are not cheap but really are the Rolls Royce of electric bikes. Just another bit of information, as from April this year TWIST AND GO Electric bikes ie if you are not pedalling assistance will be illegal bringing us inline with the EU.

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
I also have one of these but with the chain drive as a year old nearly.
Excellent bike and range.
If going for and electric buy quality and you won't be disappointed with a Kalkhoff bike. Wife has a step through also and thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
We have Kalkhoff Pedelecs but there are other makes which are even more innovative and hence more expensive i.e. Flyer Switzerland, Batavus Holland, Reise & Muller Germany, Haibikes Germany.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bollard
Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Sorry Funsters . . . the twist and go bit is for Spain!
Reply from IVS.ENQUIRIES@dft.gov.UK re power output.
"Increase from 200 watts to 250 watts to harmonise with European rules. Subject to clearance and final Parlimentary approval, the intention is that the new regulations will come into force on 6th April 2015.
Cycles with motors that have a maximum power greater than 250 watts are classified in European legislation as a powered cycle and therefore are required to be type approved by the manufacturer. In the UK these cycles will need to be registered, taxed, insured and the rider will need to hold the appropriate license and wear an approved helmet."

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Test rode a couple of Kalkhoff's last week quite impressed with them but I would prefer a bike with the battery on the front tube within the frame, they do both belt & chain drive depending on the model. I prefer a chain with derailleur gears easier to sort out if things go wrong. Going to try out some Haibikes tomorrow also want to have a look at KTM. If we decided to buy will wait until we go though Germany later in the year, same price in Euro as they are in pounds here.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bought two Kalkhoff Aguttis two years ago, both been great except the battery on mine started loosing power in December, it took a few emails and phone calls, but the supplier sent me a new battery in January. Pleased it happened before the warranty ran out, would have set me back £400 to replace :eek:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In the UK you can get a bottom range Kalkhoff for but if you want something better look at the german dealers, if you want to get up hill really need a crank drive not many at that price. Stretch your budget to 2k and you can get something decent.
Eddie (judgemental ) is the man to talk too.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Okay ill talk it over with the missus , she's trying to keep it to 1500 I've had a look at volt bikes I liked the styling

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
'if you want to get up hill really need a crank drive not many at that price'

True enough, and crank drive beats hub drive hands down IMHO. It gives a more natural riding experience right through the gearing range.

I had a Kalkhoff for several years and was very happy with it - excellent quality frame and bits. I changed it for a Haibike full suspension bike a couple of years ago as I wanted to do more offroad stuff and the Kalkhoff I had was really a commuter bike. The Haibike is really good - again, being German, good quality fittings, which can make a really big difference compared to low-end stuff in the long run, and also in day to day usage.

I reckon the single most important upgrade you can make, once you've got a decent bike to start with, is the saddle, for obvious and sometimes painful reasons :rolleyes:

If you're not confident about your ability to fix bikes generally, it's probably better to buy from a decent dealer here. If you know your way around bikes, you can get much better deals buying direct from Germany (which I did) as long as you don't mind not having dealer support in the UK.

I'd also recommend joining pedelecs.co.uk, an ebike forum that has some very helpful and knowledgeable people. It can get a bit techie sometimes, but that's the same with all forums as far as I can see.

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
Wife has the Raleigh Motus which is a high-specced hub drive at £2k. But if you want to get the price down you can still get the Captus at £1750.
http://www.raleigh.co.uk/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=198&pg=12247

It is so good I have a dilemma over getting a conversion for my Brompton, because there is nothing out there to compete with the Bosch hub drive's ergonomics. Brompton will bring out their own e-bike with Williams F1 technology, but the project has been going at least 5 years with production always cited for next year :-(

Dave

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Try roodog we have two of them and up to now ok £975.00. Each they are based at Hornsea

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just got back from trying out a Haibike Xduro Trekker, a different world to the Kalkhoff, went up a steep hill didn't even feel like it was a hill, riding position very comfortable. Just need to persuade the boss at £2700 each, going to take some doing.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you can buy almost new swift for that.

Reactions: DBK
May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
We are looking at the Raleigh Motus and debating between:
1) V braks vs hydraulic V brakes
2) Hubs gears vs Derailleur gears
3) low step vs Diamond frame

Comment/advice please.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Comment/advice please.
Raleigh are now a Dutch Company and the e- bikes are made in Germany.
Hydraulic V brakes are very good but still nowhere near as good as discs.
Derailleur's give a better riding experience but require more maintenance & you get a better range of gears much better on hills.
Step through frames are heavier & battery is on the back making the front end a bit light.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Comment/advice please.
Difficult to give specific advice without knowing the suppliers involved. I suggest you join the CTC Forum and try asking there - but expect some wide differences of opinion!

But I would avoid hydraulic brakes, too much maintenance in my experience.
Hub gears vary widely. The old Sturmey Archer in 3 speed form is brilliant. At the other end of the scale the 14 speed Rohloff which my bike has is a bomb-proof example of German technology. In between are the Shimano hubs which are a bit variable in terms of reliability and maintenance needs.
If you just want something to cycle to the nearest pub then keep it simple would be my suggestion.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But I would avoid hydraulic brakes, too much maintenance in my experience.
Not in mine, my ordinary bike has hydraulic discs, only maintenance is occasionally changing the pads which is dead easy, no cables to stretch and you get awesome braking power. My daughter has cable discs on he bike she is forever bringing it round for me to sort out the bakes.

Oct 17, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Possl Roadcruiser PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Not in mine, my ordinary bike has hydraulic discs, only maintenance is occasionally changing the pads which is dead easy, no cables to stretch and you get awesome braking power. My daughter has cable discs on he bike she is forever bringing it round for me to sort out the bakes.

Absolutely right - hydraulics no maintenance apart from rare pad changes, which are easier to do than changing V-brake pads. The hydraulic fluid is actually mineral oil, so it doesn't go off like car brake fluid.

Also, they work better and you aren't grinding your wheel rims down with them!

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Is the Hydraulic brakes system not making it more complicated when needing to take the wheel off (puncture) than the V brakes?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back