Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Having looked at whats on offer second hand (not a lot!!!) and the truley mental prices of buying new :cry: here in the UK, then comparing costs of buying in the USA (very bad £-$ exchange rates and extortionate shipping charges!!) ive decided to seriously look into building my own demountable truck camper. :Eeek:

Anyone on here over had a go and if so any tips or suggestions??

Not looking to build a palace just a reasonable size for 2 adults and maybe a child stuffed in a corner!!, weight is a huge factor as my pickup only has single wheels at the back and a 6 ft bed. :winky:

Looking at building the frame from aluminium and transplanting the windows/door, interior etc from a caravan.

Biggest problem seem to be finding the cladding to go on the outside (either aluminium or fibreglass) so any suggestions much appreciated.

Any helpful tips or pitfalls to avoid also much appreciated :thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Re the sidewall material, you could try Freedom, they had some in stock a short while ago.

As for plans.....how about these Link Removed ...will need a little modding but I am sure you are up for a challenge! :roflmto:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
You can buy pre-painted aluminium sheet from a decoiler/supplier, cutting out the middle man. This material will make a lovely job but is very easy to damage while being worked.

Nigel

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dazzer,there is a supplier around here but I don't know his number,but have a contact who does :thumb: unfortunately he's away for 3 weeks :cry:give me a reminder shout if needed :thumb:
My ambulance is made up of ali bonded to 4 / 5 mm ply 45 mm Styrofoam then ali but you could get away without the internal ali because I used 3 mm furniture boards inside as well
The ali sheeting cost about £80 for a 10 ft x 5 ft sheet but 8 ft x 4 ft were under £50 each 1.5 mm thick. Normal thickness for a m/h is .5 mm
You can get caraseal from O'Leary for £4 a tube which will stick the boards to ali no problem,they also supply internal 3 mm boards at aprox £15 for a 7 ft x 4 ft ::bigsmile:ask for a discount :thumb:You can also buy everything you will need from o'learys but if you want I can also put you in touch with a supplier who has a truma boiler for £220 windows at about 150 and large remis roofs £200 also some leccy single steps at 200.Anythin else just ask :thumb:
terry

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Having looked at whats on offer second hand (not a lot!!!) and the truley mental prices of buying new :cry: here in the UK, then comparing costs of buying in the USA (very bad £-$ exchange rates and extortionate shipping charges!!) ive decided to seriously look into building my own demountable truck camper. :Eeek:

Anyone on here over had a go and if so any tips or suggestions??

Not looking to build a palace just a reasonable size for 2 adults and maybe a child stuffed in a corner!!, weight is a huge factor as my pickup only has single wheels at the back and a 6 ft bed. :winky:

Looking at building the frame from aluminium and transplanting the windows/door, interior etc from a caravan.

Biggest problem seem to be finding the cladding to go on the outside (either aluminium or fibreglass) so any suggestions much appreciated.

Any helpful tips or pitfalls to avoid also much appreciated :thumb:

you could use a bt demountable box and alter the sides about lot of work granted
have a look in member builds on sbmcc

Link Removed

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
While you are cruising in your hot truck!:thumb::whatthe:
take a look at the way 7 1/2 ton. truck bodies are made, some have alli sheet fixed to alli frame ( you would fill with an insulation like "celotex") others use alli or a fiberglass sheet (I think the Yanks call it "filon") bonded to a light board, both of these are worth looking at.
FWIW I would not even consider adapting a box to do the job, I believe the over-cab section must be part of the whole side frame to get the strength without putting on weight.
If you can find a modern pranged caravan, you could gather a lot of expensive bits in one go. I would suggest that you had a plan of what you would like included, then gather all the bits before you cut your first bit of material. (you can't plan in the windows etc. until you know their size.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Nigel.

A caravan would be the first purchase, i recon i would get about 80% of the internal fittings/windows/door and other bits of kit on a reasonably modern crash damaged van. Would also use the electrical stuff and shower etc. :thumb:

I couldnt really start to design it till i had the doors and windows and a good idea of internal layout which will be dictated by the donar caravan. :Doh:

I am waiting on prices for cladding/internal walls and aluminium box section. :Eeek:

I wouldnt go down the route of adapting a box van, too much work in undoing before redoing and the layout would be compromised. :winky:

The demount is to be used as accomodation when we go diving in some pretty remote locations so it would need to be totally self contained and if i can find space and weight i would fit a small petrol powered H/P compressor. :thumb:

My main problem seems to be finding the jack legs. The only place i can find any for sale is the USA and they are electrically operated which i dont want because of the weight, they are also bloody expensive!!!.........any ideas anyone?? ::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Dazzer,

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to buy a Very Nice 5th wheel and hitch it on the back of the Lovely Lightning.

Just My Humble opinion.:Cool:

Just out of interest.Does the finished item have to go through and tests for Braking, build strength etc prior to usage?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Test for braking :Eeek:........it dont have brakes........or wheels for that matter :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Strength tests.....no idea but as im building it myself i can guarantee it will be stronger than anything you can buy "off the shelf" and considerably better made :thumb:

The only testing that will be happening will be a leccy and gas/carbon monoxide test for the gas appliances.

Im sure there are some Euro rules and regulations but i wont be getting involved with any of that, i know it will be more than strong enough (i always over-engineer anything i make :thumb:) and the thing will be well secured to the pick up (after all i dont want to scratch my baby :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

As for a 5er....I wish but wifee wont hear of it and to be honest some of the places we dive are a little "off the beaten track" and access would be a nightmare. I take the Lightning whenever i go diving and know that we can always get to waters edge in it so a demount seems to be the obvious choice.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dazzer,well you had me thinking a 5th wheeler / artic type :ROFLMAO:
ACROW props :thumb::thumb::thumb:buy your caravan and see what you can salvage body work wise as well as the internals:thumb:
terry

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Dazzer,well you had me thinking a 5th wheeler / artic type :ROFLMAO:
ACROW props :thumb::thumb::thumb:buy your caravan and see what you can salvage body work wise as well as the internals:thumb:
terry

Acrow props are not a lot of use as they only jack up and down a small amount. The jacks fitted to demounts lift the body off the pick up and then drop it down to just above floor level for easy access. I recon the jacks need to raise and lower a couple of feet which is way beyond Acrows use. There is also the matter of the weight of 4 Acrows :Eeek:

C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
hi dazzler !.... i may have the doner trailer you want. i have an american pop-up trailer that a kind belguim drunk kindley wrecked by ramming me last year !.... i was going to strip it down a make a camper out of my van.. but now i think 5th wheel is the way to go !the internals are all good ... shower, hot and cold water !. heating unit, water tank 27ltr, and a folding cooker!!.. slide out beds both ends!!... it cranks up on a 4 post system, maybe you could engineer this to suit your jacking leg problems???:Eeek:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Have you looked at a SMALL US 5er?? it would probably be cheaper than building a TC from scratch, I realise the reasons against it but a SMALL one would give you more comfort, and it would follow really well!!!!!
I believe that your bed is quite short?? a truck camper to suit would be quite minimal, the upside of that is that it would be nice and light!! A "pop-top" would allow you to travel rather quickly !! but would be a nightmare to build yourself!!
Can you mount the compressor to the truck's chassis??
We will get you totally confused yet!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Nigel

If i go to the trouble of a small 5er i may as well buy a UK caravan :Eeek::Eeek::Blush:

Some of the places we dive are simply too tight for even the smallest 5er.

A pop top you say :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I think not :Blush:

Going quickly in the Lightning is not a problem :thumb::Blush: you could load it up with 3 tonnes of bricks and not notice :ROFLMAO::winky:

The bed is 6 feet long (a LOT bigger then the Jap Crap trucks but still a bit weedy by USA standards). Im not looking to build a palace just a place to kip/cook/shower in the arsehole of nowhere and still give us the flexibility of the truck for dragging tanks/heavy diving gear around once we arrive.

Bolt a compressor to my baby :Eeek::Eeek: are you mad!!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Its going to break my heart taking off the hard top to fit the demount :cry:

Confused......nnnnaaarrrrrrrr :Cool::thumb:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
:winky:
hi dazzler !.... i may have the doner trailer you want. i have an american pop-up trailer that a kind belguim drunk kindley wrecked by ramming me last year !.... i was going to strip it down a make a camper out of my van.. but now i think 5th wheel is the way to go !the internals are all good ... shower, hot and cold water !. heating unit, water tank 27ltr, and a folding cooker!!.. slide out beds both ends!!... it cranks up on a 4 post system, maybe you could engineer this to suit your jacking leg problems???:Eeek:

Thanks for that :winky: but i think you are talking about the lift for the roof???? It wont be strong enough to lift the whole camper off the back of the truck :cry: but if you can email me some pics ill look at anything that might do the job :thumb: or give me inspiration ::bigsmile:

C

crazy-tim

Deleted User
if you had hydralic suspension, like the american lowriders, you could then just raise it up, then put down manual jacks.... lower the suspension and drive away !!!:ROFLMAO:... maybe.. it was just a thought:winky:

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
if you had hydralic suspension, like the american lowriders, you could then just raise it up, then put down manual jacks.... lower the suspension and drive away !!!:ROFLMAO:... maybe.. it was just a thought:winky:

Great idea :thumb::Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

But as i didnt win the lottery last week the cost might be a little prohibitive :cry: :Doh:

I suppose i could alway try bolting on a helicopter engine and blades and lifting it that way :Eeek::winky:

Maybe not :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back to the drawing board then :Doh::thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You REALLY aren't taking this seriously are you Dazzer.....

I suppose i could always try bolting on a helicopter engine and blades and lifting it that way Link RemovedLink Removed
I like the way you're thinking though.:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dazzer they do light weight ali props these days and placed upside down will lift it up 8 ins plus-- Hydraulic Rams could be made quite easy to adapt something--Roger -wildman ???????
terry

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Dazzer they do light weight ali props these days and placed upside down will lift it up 8 ins plus-- Hydraulic Rams could be made quite easy to adapt something--Roger -wildman ???????
terry

Seen it done .If those guys from scrapheap challenge can scavenge the hydraulics from an old JCB and make them work, I'm sure it's possible to fabricate something to lift the unit yourself.

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Ive looked into hydraulics but the weight of the rams and pumps/controls would make them impossible to use :cry:.

The rams need to be able to move approx 24" which makes them pretty big and heavy.

The legs ive seen in the USA are simple crank down affairs, small, lightish weight and above all simple (a bit like me!!!). I have looked at sliding gate drive systems from a few of my suppliers but havnt had any replys yet as to the weight they can physically lift as they are designed to slide a gate along not lift straight up/down.

I suppose i could always rally support from all the guys that go diving and fit a dozen lifting handles and manhandle the thing off the pick up... could be the cheapest method all round :thumb::ROFLMAO:. Bit of a bugger getting it on and off the truck on my own at home though :Doh::cry:

Back to the drawing board :Sad:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Great idea :thumb::Eeek: :ROFLMAO:

But as i didnt win the lottery last week the cost might be a little prohibitive :cry: :Doh:

I suppose i could alway try bolting on a helicopter engine and blades and lifting it that way :Eeek::winky:

Maybe not :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back to the drawing board then :Doh::thumb:
you could get the same effect with air ride suspension, just a thought.
Use simple dropdown legs at the rear, and dropdown plus modified small carjacks at the front

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Acrow props are not a lot of use as they only jack up and down a small amount. The jacks fitted to demounts lift the body off the pick up and then drop it down to just above floor level for easy access. I recon the jacks need to raise and lower a couple of feet which is way beyond Acrows use. There is also the matter of the weight of 4 Acrows :Eeek:
Modern ali acrow props will not have a weight problem. If you have a quick release and drop down for the entire prop the the actual lift need only be enough to take it off the bed. (combined with air ride suspension ample)

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
well if that is what you want-------------------------------sell your truck------that will give you the money to buy it. you can't see, but I have ducked under the table:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh::Doh::Doh:
Nigel
BTW would you take the camper off the truck away from home????
Where in the Country are you?? , we are in Suffolk, can you get to look at our TC ?
We are staying on a camp site, you could stay overnight if you wanted.
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
well if that is what you want-------------------------------sell your truck------that will give you the money to buy it. you can't see, but I have ducked under the table:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh::Doh::Doh:
Nigel
BTW would you take the camper off the truck away from home????
Where in the Country are you?? , we are in Suffolk, can you get to look at our TC ?
We are staying on a camp site, you could stay overnight if you wanted.
Nigel & Pamala

SELL MY BABY :Eeek::Angry::cry: !!!!!!!!!!

Ill be washing in a bucket and sleeping under a cardboard box before that happens :ROFLMAO:

Think ive found a solution to the jacking problem though :thumb:::bigsmile:

http://www.powerjacks.com/downloads/Product Guides/PJHMP-03-Mechanical-Jacks.pdf

These guys seem to do just the kind of think im looking for...will give em a ring on Monday :thumb:

Yes the camper will be off the truck when its not in use. I am in sunny :Eeek: Blackpool which is a LONG way from Suffolk!!:Sad: Which is a real shame cos these things are very few and far between :Doh:. Im now hunting for a suitable caravan to rip to bits , this will detemine the layout and sizes of windows/door etc. :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Darren
some of those jacks look as though they will do the job, but , take a step back and look at your truck--------now imagine your "new hand built truck camper" sitting on it, even on the cheap it will cost a hellava lot in dosh but more in time, with that investment, do you really believe you will be satisfied with jacks that can be made to do the job???
IMHO you should get the proper thing for the job----yes, I know they are expensive, but you could have bought a standard F150!!! but you knew that your "red devil" would do the job that little bit better:thumb::thumb:
I don't suppose for a minute that you could find a second hand set??
Have you seen a remote control set used????
Pity you are so far away, maybe you will get to see ours during the year?
Nigel & Pamala

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Nigel

I know what your saying but cost and weight is a major factor. The company ive found do a ready made unit capable of lifting 500kgs per leg and they will slide inside a 50mm X 50mm aluminium box section making them almost invisible except for the crank to attach the winding handle to. :thumb: :winky:

Im going to have a look at a couple of accident damaged caravans next weekend to use as a donor vehicle so should have a much better idea of what im going to build and how big it will be.:thumb:

Im not looking to built anything posh its simply a place to lay my head/cook/shower when i go diving. 95% of the time it will be off the truck and showed in a corner of my garage!:Doh:

Not sure if fitting a HP compressor is going to be doable due to the size and weight of the compressor (80+ KGs!!! :Eeek:) but once ive got an idea of layout and final size i will make a decison then. How wide is the total width of yours? I assume there must be some kind of law dictating the max width allowed but it is easier pleating snot that finding any kind of information on demounts for the UK!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can you tell me how long the bed is on your truck and do you have to remove the tailgate when its fitted???? I am building this with selling it on in the future in mind and want to build something that will fit Jap Crap trucks as well as USA trucks. The bed in mine is 6 feet long (8 feet with the tailgate down) which seems to be a bit longer than the Nissan/Toyota/Mitsubushi beds.

My truck is also a single cab (with 3 seats) but i would have thought that the most popular vehicle for a demount would be a king/double cab layout which have even smaller beds. Have you seen many on your travels and if so what kind of pickup where they strapped onto??:winky:

Still waiting on a price for the jack.....seems to be a closely guarded secret :ROFLMAO: it may well work out cheaper shipping a set from the USA which are simple bolt on affairs custom made for truck campers. I did look at a USA website with the remote control eleccy jacks.......very clever but at nearly $2k plus shipping/tax/vat to the UK a bit out of my price range :cry:

Ill let you know how much the UK dealers are going to slap me for when they eventually give me the security clearance to be allowed to know the prices :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. How some of these companies make money is beyond me :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back