Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Having had some very useful guidance regarding solar panel and inverter installation which is now proceeding well. Another general question for views. My two 110AH batteries are now 6 years old. These came with the MH when it was delivered new. Now taking into consideration the general use of the batteries these have been in active service throughout the past years Spring, Summer and Autumn months with a mixture of on and off EHU but generally very little use over the Winter, MH used on average once a month on EHU so gets a charge over the weekend use.
The $64,000,000 question. Now that the batteries are going to receive general top up from the sun (Exept tomorrow morning around 9.30am) and I am going to be using a 1500w inverter regularly, can any of you see that this extra work by the battery can have an impact on the two batteries leading to failure.
We are about to set of to Europe for a one year trip with a large part of it probably without EHU and trying to make a judgement call about the need to invest in a new set before we clear off if there is a likely hood of battery problems. Any feedback would be of great interest

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
They must be coming to the end of their life, i find batteries are quite reasonably priced these days so i would be inclined to say change them for peace of mind
pete

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It may well be, given their age, that your batteries are no longer as efficient as they once were. They do deteriorate with age and of the plates of the batteries with have some deposits them. If you can give them a full charge and see how well or otherwise they hold up with no use at all and then with a reasonable amount of discharge simulating you intended use you may get a clue.

We started a four month trip last year with 5 year old batteries which seemed ok at first but it became apparent they would not take or hold much of a charge after a few weeks and did not stand up well to moderate use. Wetness to be off EHU most of the time so we decided to replace them, not really a problem, they sell batteries at all of the motorhome dealers in Europe and so we simply bought two new ones. Got a good deal too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Solar panels will mask a failing battery as the batteries are getting charged daily you will not notice the falling capacity until it's too late.
I assume they are wet cells so probably coming to the end of their life, with the inverter taking a heavy load I would change them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Agree.. change them before you set off..
a lot easier and probably cheaper than trying to source abroad..

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I wouldn't set off for a year long trip with old batteries.
Given the cost of new ones sub £100 each like these Link Removed maybe even cheaper from the same supplier on ebay, change them before you go. You'll pay more to change them enroute.

EDIT:Measure the space you have carefully to ensure what you buy will fit.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They are the ones I use and four fit with 1mm to spare :LOL:
They seem to have gone up in price :(

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
I also have the dc31 batteries, i was going to get two more and have found they have now changed name but the batteries are the same http://r.ebay.com/CdDpA3

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
You beat me to it andy
pete

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Only just Pete (y)
The great thing about these batteries and their different branded counterparts is the connection options of traditional post and threaded studs. If Banner really want to compete they should do the same for what they charge. Threaded studs are far superior for adding extras

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Same battery re badged but at original price (y)
Broken Link Removed

I didn't realise the name change the OP was after a pair and they do them as well
Broken Link Removed

I bought an original alphaline battery for our previous MH. The battery was in an external locker with a tray to catch any leakage. I measured it up and thought I had plenty of room but had failed to spot then there was a radius in one corner of the tray to fit the locker. The battery fitted but as you say just a single mm clearance.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Only just Pete (y)
The great thing about these batteries and their different branded counterparts is the connection options of traditional post and threaded studs. If Banner really want to compete they should do the same for what they charge. Threaded studs are far superior for adding extras

Andy, Arn't the threads some strange American thread making the nuts difficult to get?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Andy, Arn't the threads some strange American thread making the nuts difficult to get?
Yes they look like 8mm but as you discovered they are NOT so essential to check they are in the box on delivery.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Again many thanks to you all for your views. I suspected the answer was change them but needed to be pushed. My wife is going to have a big issue with this spending.I wouldn't let her buy a few bits, "why do you need that" I said. Well at least I can say that to enable her to use a hairdryer without EHU, a must after last years trip, has cost around £700. That's solar inverter and now batteries

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Should have bought her a gas one...

I'm in the change them camp too.. I changed ours and although I thought the old ones were ok I'm noticing better performance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can leisure batteries be tested with a meter thingy ?
The meter thingy is a very crude test not recommended.

Best way to test a leisure battery it to charge it full switch off the charger and disconnect the solar charger if you have solar panels leave to stand for at least an hour the battery voltage should be 12.7v.

Then:-

For e.g. for a 90A/H battery turn on some lights etc. in the van until you are drawing 5 amps leave on for 4.5 hours (this would be 25% of capacity) turn off the load and let it stand for at least ½ hour then measure the voltage, it should be 12.4v (75% charged), repeat the test and battery should read 12.2v (50%charge) repeat again and voltage should read 12.0v (25% charge).

Don't take it below 25% of you could permanently damage the battery, these figures are for wet cells Gel's tend to be 0.1 v higher.
Adjust the time/load to suit the size of battery.

OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Broken Link Removed
All ordered, they fit lengthways in the battery box but about 50mm higher, so its out with a bit of 2"x2" to make a frame around the battery box lid so that they are covered. Should fit nicley in the battery box as it is fitted in an outside locker below floor level I will still be able to use the locker without any hassle. I telephoned the supplier and they confirmed that he thread on the stud is not an 8mm but the batteries come with securing nuts for the attachments. Again thank you for your views and recommendations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back