our shurflo pump and an amazing coincidence (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Following on from our recent shureflo pump packed up, an unbelievable coincidence happened today.
We decided last night to use the Aire at Baragem de Povoa,Portugal,in the middle of nowhere, shown below, as it had showers and toilets shown on the aires book.
Terry was chatting to a Dutch man called Wolf and he asked why he was getting water from our tank with a watering can and Terry mentioned that our pump had packed in so was getting the water from the tank That way.
Wolf Smiled and said, I have a pump that I brought with me for a friend bu he no longer needs it.
Wolf then proceeded to install the pump and made sure it worked before asking for €60 which we are mightily pleased with.
How much of an amazing coincidence was that, and for him to install it too??
Just as well the showers are only cold water ones.

Attachments

• Studio_20150319_173417.jpg
    Studio_20150319_173417.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 69

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Wolf then proceeded to install the pump and made sure it worked before asking for €60 which we are mightily pleased with.

result and good on the Dutchman , restores my faith in humanity..

in saying that.. over the years traveling in France we have been helped out quite a few times.. as have we helped others .. you can depend on the friendship of most other travelers.. a kindred spirit.. be they in a motorhome or on a motorcycle.. we all help each other..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Following on from our recent shureflo pump packed up, an unbelievable coincidence happened today.
We decided last night to use the Aire at Baragem de Povoa,Portugal,in the middle of nowhere, shown below, as it had showers and toilets shown on the aires book.
Terry was chatting to a Dutch man called Wolf and he asked why he was getting water from our tank with a watering can and Terry mentioned that our pump had packed in so was getting the water from the tank That way.
Wolf Smiled and said, I have a pump that I brought with me for a friend bu he no longer needs it.

How lucky was that ! I always carry a spare pump.
Phil

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
likewise.. and I think Trish and Terry might also now ....;)
We've been told we can get the other one fixed, he tested the coils and he said that the motor is ok,then we will carry it as a spare.
He spoke about being an engineer on big ships for many years before he retired.
We're very grateful to him.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Have always found the Dutch to be friendly and welcoming worked with some in the Merchant Navy over the years as well as visiting their lovely country. The help experienced by the OP is exceptional and as already saidmotorhomers are in general a close knit and helpful bunch regardless of nationality always willing to assist.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We have had nothing but the best experience of Dutch folk on three occasions I recall while abroad.
The funniest was at the Gastes aire. We tried getting in via the payment machine for nearly an hour without success and the guy could see we were getting really frustrated and eventually came over and said "you have money?" I thought that was a strange question especially as the coin slot was taped over. He peeled the tape back and put our coins in then the barrier opened ROFPML
It was taped over to deter using cash but was not out of order :swear2:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What a great looking Aire. I can't find it in my 3rd Edition Aires book. Could you give some coordinates please? Ignore this question - just found it under Nisa!!!!

I agree with others about the helpfulness of the Dutch when on the road. Many years ago when I was caravanning I had a problem with the electrics. Dutchman came over after seeing me scratching my head and got it sorted. Had a super tool kit with everything you could think of in it. Would not accept anything for his help.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
What a great looking Aire. I can't find it in my 3rd Edition Aires book. Could you give some coordinates please?

I agree with others about the helpfulness of the Dutch when on the road. Many years ago when I was caravanning I had a problem with the electrics. Dutchman came over after seeing me scratching my head and got it sorted. Had a super tool kit with everything you could think of in it. Would not accept anything for his help.
Will do later when Terry gets out of bed!
I agree, he had loads of tools and spare everything, clips, hoses you name it.
We only carry basic tools.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Ok
Not needed thanks - let him stay in bed a bit longer. See my edit above - listed under Nisa.
Ok. It is a lovely Aire though. Going to have a wander today after our fix it day yesterday. Showers are cold water ones mind?
Free water and dump. No electric even though the toilet and shower block has electric. Good lighting around too.
It's amazing, there's no gain for the portuguese here but in bigger places where there would be gain from us ; ie , shops and cafés there's no Aire! !

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Glad to hear you got it sorted. i thought you sorted it at the mines.
Laurie.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
No. We didn't get it sorted at the mines. We just decided to live with the inconvenience of not having a pump until we got home but Wolfgang helped us out and he was a retired sea captain as well! !! Not an engineer as I said before, I asked him what he was when he worked, nosy cow I know! !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back