Yet another Radio wiring query (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Hi all, I have searched through the threads and read 9 pages but cannot find a real answer to my question. I replaced the radio in my Autocruise Wentworth (55 plate boxer) because I really wanted USB and SD card facility. Problem is there is no Acc. position on the ignition and do not like leaving all ignitions circuits energized when listening in the evenings. My initial thought was to power from the Leisure battery but then thought: radio circuit.jpg

with this circuit:
when the ignition is switched on (for travelling) relay 1 is energised removing the power from the leisure battery, relay 2 is energised making power from the vehicle battery.
Ignition off breaks relay 1 which then picks up power from leisure battery, dand relay 2 which breaks circuit from vehicle battery. when ignition off there is no battery drain as both relays are in off state. I would fit fuses on pick up from batteries and a switch from leisure to cut off radio completely. The memory wire (yellow) would remain as is. Relays mounted under bonnet.
Anyone see a problem with this. ??
All comments gratefully received.
Robert

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You don't need the relay. Wire the permanent supply from the leisure battery, fit a switch in a convenient position with a fused supply to one side and the other side then connects to the ignition trigger wire at the radio. you need to fit two diodes into this, one on the original ignition trigger wire and the other on the new feed to prevent leisure/engine battery cross connection via a small wire. Doing it this way retains ignition on/off triggering of the radio but allows you to listen to the radio when on site without having ignition on.

D.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Hi Dave and thanks for the input. Do you mean to just solder in a diode in line ? Like a Y join.and is it just a standard blocking diode ?
Robert

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave and thanks for the input. Do you mean to just solder in a diode in line ? Like a Y join.and is it just a standard blocking diode ?
Robert

Yes exactly like that, it is to block current being passed from one battery to the other via a thin wire. Once soldered in simply insulate with heat shrink tube.

D.

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Thanks Dave. Just been on fleabay and there are several. I was thinking either a dual schottky diode 10A 135V or similar single.
Will get sorted at Maplins tomorrow.:)(y)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Dave, a question From an electrical numpty - is this a suitable diode please:
ZPY12 Diotec Zener Diode 1.3W 12V

Have just fitted a DAB converter to a Pioneer double din stereo because the reception in my Hymer is not the best. Used an external Kinetic glass mount and the reception is fine - that's until the ignition switch is turned to the first position and before the starter is engaged - reception is then lost totally. Wired from leisure battery to switch in cab, memory from original yellow wire.

No diodes fitted - could this be the problem?

Mike

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hi Dave, a question From an electrical numpty - is this a suitable diode please:
ZPY12 Diotec Zener Diode 1.3W 12V

Have just fitted a DAB converter to a Pioneer double din stereo because the reception in my Hymer is not the best. Used an external Kinetic glass mount and the reception is fine - that's until the ignition switch is turned to the first position and before the starter is engaged - reception is then lost totally. Wired from leisure battery to switch in cab, memory from original yellow wire.

No diodes fitted - could this be the problem?

Mike

You don't need a Zener diode, an ordinary one will do nicely. The diodes will do nothing to alter reception, their purpose is simply to prevent back feeding current from one battery to the other via a thin wire. I don't wish to be rude but if you really are "an electrical numpty" then its time to put your hand in your pocket and let someone who knows what they're doing sort it for you. You only need to make one mistake with the wiring and you could cause a fire which your insurance won't want to know about!

D.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I've put a radio in my van , its wired up to a permanent live from the cab battery . the radio has its own on/off switch . with careful use I don't envisage a problem with a low cab battery . we will see ! .
When I say " I've " , I mean I watched my auto electrician friend !

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
My retro fit radio, actually an Aldi special has an on/off switch.

I can not get a grip on why it needs to be connected to the ignition at any time.

I wired mine direct from the veh batt. (it was handy) with an in line fuse. Seems to work !

What am I doing wrong ? Just seen Colinw 's post So Snap !

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
I wired mine direct from the veh batt. (it was handy) with an in line fuse. Seems to work !

What am I doing wrong ? Just seen Colinw 's post So Snap !

Doing nothing wrong Moody. My needs are the same as your except I want to be able to control with the ignition switch as well as being able to switch off from the habitation area. The way I will connect is for power to go to the radio from the ignition but when on site it can be switched on without having the ignition on full (I do not have an accessory position on ignition switch) all the time, but would like it to keep functionality for when I am driving. I will need to remember to turn switch off from hab. battery but no harm done if I forget. :whistle:

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Techno, Thanks for photo, cleared up my thinking lots. One thing,, what size diode did you use (if you can remember). Maplins have schottky 3A 14v (20v max block) or dual schottky 15A .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The wiring is done by Rapido not an upgrade of mine.
It is as Dave suggested.
The Red/Green are Rapidos wiring from the CBE distribution unit and Aux switch on the overdoor panel. Note the Yellow from the starter battery is disconnected and replaced by the red from the leisure batteries. The red via diode is cab ignition and the green via diode is from aux switch.
Picture of diode
CA_10251317472623-XL.jpg

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Thanks Andy,, they appear to be 6Amp which would be correct as I will be putting in 10Amp fuses. Maplins tomorrow it is then. kerching kerching :D

OP
OP
bertiebasset
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Hi all,
Well, all the bits of cables,, fuse boxes etc have arrived and I have been out to wire up this radio.:cry::cry:
Managed to blow 2 fuses.
This is what I have.
1. From leisure battery to switch, to 15a fuse, to diode at rear of radio.
2. From ignition switch to diode at rear of radio.
3. From diode(s) to radio.

Turned on ignition, radio on, turned on leisure battery switch,, fuses blown.

Now, checking the wires on the din plug at rear forgetting the speaker side,
I have on top row,,
thick red ( + perm). Blue (for power to aerial), blank, white
bottom row
thick black (earth), yellow,thin blue/yellow ( + switched) blank.

on the rear of radio itself is top: pin, pin, blank,blank. bottom: pin, blank, pin, blank.
so only 4 wires being used: perm + red. earth black, blue aerial, blue/yellow switched +

Having blown a fuse I have now disconnected the diodes. tried wire direct from ignition to perm red +, radio works.
removed ignition wire, connected from leisure battery switch to perm red +, no radio unless ignition on but if I turn off the leisure battery switch the radio goes off.

I am putting the perm + red (as this is a thick wire and all diagrams I have looked at put this) as the switched feed and a yellow as the memory feed.

Could it be the thin blue/yellow is a switch feed from ignition so need to be using this as the control from ignition/leisure battery.

All help gratefully received.

Robert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back