why the difference???? (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Today phoned MCE insurance to re insure my Blackbird that i took off the road last August. Now bearing in mind i was insured with them up to 8/2014 costing £200.14, todays quote £200.50. just checked on line new quote £132 how can there be £68 difference.

:mad:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Blimey - did you cancel your insurance when you SORNed it?

We haven't done that, what if it gets nicked in some weird way currently unknown to us so hence we can't prevent it, or someone decides to torch the garage when we aren't here?

But OMG anyway, that is cheap! Fantastic!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Blimey - did you cancel your insurance when you SORNed it?

We haven't done that, what if it gets nicked in some weird way currently unknown to us so hence we can't prevent it, or someone decides to torch the garage when we aren't here?

But OMG anyway, that is cheap! Fantastic!

No just let the insurance run out then sorn d it.

Sometimes you have to live on the edge.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
its like safeguard offer 25% off for new customers..who pays for that I wonder, the shareholders or billy muggings :)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
No just let the insurance run out then sorn d it.

Sometimes you have to live on the edge.

What - you mean you may exceed the speed limit on it at times?

(It's not Pete's or Wanda's limit (Wanda the Honda obviously) but mine on the pillion just happens to be round about 115. Any faster and I may actually still be happy speedwise but since I discovered at 120+ my eyes and my glasses begin to vibrate at different speeds and I become seriously disoriented, the bloke in front of me stopped doing it with me on!)

(Coincidentally I've just looked up what a blackbird is in Latin cos it struck me I'd never heard eg Bill Oddie etc refer to one by its Latin name - I'll never be able to look at one again (the sort with a yellow bill that go tweet tweet or the bike) without thinking of that - with some distaste!)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Daz, same here, in process of renewing Fiat Panda, my broker quoted £386 for an Aviva policy, Confused.com found "Quote me happy" at £217, who are quote me happy? An Aviva company of course. Last year Safeguard quoted about £450, told them my renewal figure and they immediately offered to match it. It's a jungle out there, give me shoe shopping any day(y)

OP
OP
Daz n Tina
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Hi Daz, same here, in process of renewing Fiat Panda, my broker quoted £386 for an Aviva policy, Confused.com found "Quote me happy" at £217, who are quote me happy? An Aviva company of course. Last year Safeguard quoted about £450, told them my renewal figure and they immediately offered to match it. It's a jungle out there, give me shoe shopping any day(y)

Little buggers aint they, Mike i have tried to phone you a couple of times over the past few days but it goes to voicemail, is our bromance over???? ;):inlove:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have the Bird, the GL and the 1960ish Greeves insured at the moment.. £119 full comp.. Bennetts

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yes but we hate Bennett's on principal Jaws !

We had the Africa Twin insured with then for just less than a year, then part-exed it and bought the Trophy... they said they had to cancel the original and re-ssue a new policy - with no NCD of course - for about 4x the original premium, Why - because they told us - the Africa was insured on a special arrangement ONLY for Hondas....

Oh yes - so where - in your info or anywhere in the documentation did you inform us of that? Well nowhere, because they hadn't informed us, at any stage... We were supposed to know this by osmosis I guess....

So we wrote to the Head Honcho of the insurer, not Bennett's and asked why a British insurer (cos it was the NU at the time) had decided to penalise us for buying British? Did they think this was a really brill idea, and by the way we'd have to publicise their answer all over the internet to warn other punters of this underhand practice...

Many apologies - and no excuses - from NU - none whatsoever from Bs - but they did give us a return of premium and transferred the no claims, and about £25 extra for inconvenience... and a cheaper premium for the Trophy !

Then they (NU's claims dept in Dublin) completely ballsed up the claim we had on the Trophy and we both nearly had nervous breakdowns trying to sort it out... it was a week old, we were going round an island about a mile away from On Yer Triumph where it was booked for it's first - 600 mile - service that morning... So when we eventually got there, they immediately replaced all the screen bolts which had broken on impact as intended, and replaced one indicator which was wrecked, and did the estimate for the repairs whilst we were there and they were doing the service...

It was a bad move having them do the rpairs apparently, cos although the NU Engineer who was in there every week anyway authorised the repairs so they booked it in and were going to take it, when Dublin rang to say they weren't Authorised and our nearest repairer was in Alfreton and we had to take it there... Good grief said I - do you actually know how far away Alfreton is from Bedworth? There must be one nearer. No no there wasn't. So I rang them and they said 'No - we can't do it - we ONLY repair cars etc - not bikes AT ALL... So I told her that ........ and they sent an Engineer down to Aylesbury - but it turned out he had to come from Warwick anyway but Pete had left about an hou before him, but he was perfectly OK, and agreed it again NP...

So off it went to be fixed.... garage rang Pete next day to give a progress report, nearly finished! - can pick it up whatever day... Dublin rang. They were NOT going to authorise the repairs because we hadn't taken it to the car place in Alfreton. Fine said I. In that case, please ring the Service Manager at Aylesbury, his name is Bruce and you can tell him you are not going to pay, and see what he says - because I'm bloody well not!

Well, she did apparently and we didn't get a verbatim report but Bruce told us how much he had enjoyed having his conversation with the young woman and explaining to her how insurance companies Authorisation methods actually work in the Biking world - which wasn't ANY different to the car or other vehicle world. Cos he thought she really ought to understand this if she wanted to keep her job for very long after the phonecall...

We never heard any more about it... if insurance is cheap - well they have to save money somewhere don't they since damage costs so much these days... so where do YOU think they are saving it?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Last year for the IGNIS £188 ish fully comp

Just got the new renewal price £258 ish 70%ncb

When I asked the reason for the large hike in premium I was told we were a "mutual", we are now a "company" we are bringing our premiums in line with other insurers, you were on the "old rate" this year you are on the "new rate"

Oh well! looks like Cornish Mutual has just shot itself in the foot

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back