Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Close member of the family wants to borrow our I-pad to purchase something,,,all day? As i know nothing about com/pads,just e-mail skype etc,where is the catch ? They have a state of the art computor,so am i missing something .... besides trust ? Thanks for any help you may give.
Tea Bag

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There are some things that I can't do on my iPad but it's mainly downloading pictures from my camera that they make it impossible to do without a very expensive bit of kit. But other than that I'm not sure they need and iPad unless it's to have a play before they by themselves one? Buying something? Naaaaaa, I can easily spend a bloody fortune on mine thank you very much lol.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not really wanting to cast "nasturshums" BUT .IF someone wants to use your device and has one of their own then 2 things come to mind.1) It`s illegal, and they think that putting your head in the noose is better than theirs?. 2) Its immoral by which I suggest that its a way of concealing misbehaviour which a partner cannot later access?. because its not on their machine? (adultery comes to mind but is not necessarily the case)

Either way I (personally) would find a way to say, sorry but no way.

pete

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Just ask them why when they have a laptop, if there freinds should not be a problem, if it's a problem them there not freinds.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Maybe they are hoping to buy Glastonbury tickets in the April re-sale.

Some folk are under the impression that they have more chance with an ios device...

Just a thought :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Spot on @PeteH I was thinking exactly the same, but didn't dare say it!

Different, if he said something like, "I'm thinking of buying one....could I borrow yours for the day.." But to use a lame excuse of 'buying something' when he can perfectly easily use his own equipment is sus'. Praps he wants to buy something errrr of a personal or sensitive nature? Would I loan the iPad? Nah! Not unless there was a bloody good reason.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps, if their own device is a desktop/tower computer and not a laptop it isn't therefore portable so they may want to take a portable one with them to check out prices etc while they are shopping for something? Just another possible reason ....

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi.
Thanks to each and every one of you. It must be a very pressing reason,as they were prepared to cycle 24 kms round trip to fetch it when we forgot.... to take it.
I thought i was being a bit suspicious,but all you have done is to confirm those suspicions may not be groundless. Thanks again all..
Tea Bag.
PS. Minxygirl(Mel) their computor is laptop state of the art,but thanks anyway

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Comes down to trust at the end of the day. I have passwords and all sorts stored on my I Pad and if I lent it to someone I could find my bank account empty and a load of purchases paid for by PayPal! Needless to say I wouldn't lend mine out.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi.
Close member of the family wants to borrow our I-pad to purchase something,,,all day? As i know nothing about com/pads,just e-mail skype etc,where is the catch ? They have a state of the art computor,so am i missing something .... besides trust ? Thanks for any help you may give.
Tea Bag

unless they can come up with a credible reason why they need your iPad ... I would simply say no.. sounds fishy to me..

OP
OP
Tea Bag
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Hi All.
Decision made,i am about to become a miserable old fart (Again ? LOL). Perhaps if i was more computor savvy i might have risked it,but judging by the posts above......... The NO's have it. Thank you all.
Tea Bag

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Being of a naive nature could it be possible that whoever made the request wants to shop for and/or order a surprise romantic/birthday present that would be visible on a shared computer?

Just a thought.

Hymie. :getmecoat:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
That's what I thought Hymie but they could just come and order it on yours and go away again.

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Possibly Mags, but what if you wanted to research something without pressure.

Hymie. :active:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Just say that your i-Pad has loads of confidential stuff on it which prevents you parting with it! You don't want them nosing around your stuff do you?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Or open an "incognito" window in Firefox, or "In private" browsing window in IE, both of these will stop browsing history being saved.
All sounds very sus to me, I wouldn't lend any of my kit out to anyone. I am happy for someone to use one of the tablets if I am present however! On many occasions we have allowed our fellow campers on site use one of our devices to book their next stay, don't have a problem with that.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't let anyone access my desktop with my log-in.. Computers, tablets etc are very personal and private things and no one has the right to mooch around it..

I have a 'guest' account for anyone who wants to use it... no problem with that ...

It all sounds very suspect..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would lend my tablet, phone or laptop to friends or family whilst in my home or van etc. no way would i lend it out for a day under very vague and suspicious circumstances

just reminded me that i lent my daughter a laptop for a few days 6 months ago and its still not been returned

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I think the same as everyone else . No way would I let anyone take my iPad for a day since there is too much personal info on it . I appreciate that saying no can create an awkward situation . Like many others I don't mind friends using it while I am present.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back