Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
ever done anything stupid?
I seem to have a fuddled mind since we bought the motorhome ( and we havent even got it yet)
Latest booby - the mh needs an alarm, I contacted a company fairly nearby and agreed a date ( 4 weeks away) and paid a deposit.
Next thing dealer tells me they will fit the alarm.
I tried to cancel the original appointment- 1 month in advance, and just 4 days after paying the deposit....no goods bought, just a date set.

No go. cant have the deposit back, even though the guy told me he was extremely busy and I needed to book well in advance.
So he will fill the slot and hasn't lost any money. Wont return it as he says we have a legally binding contract. So much for customer service.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
The guy is probably within his rights to keep the deposit (depending on the contract you signed) but how about naming and shaming him! You can then show him the adverse publicity he is getting and suggest that you can place similar posts on other vehicle forums... perhaps he'll change his mind?

If you didn't sign a contract and he didn't tell you that the deposit was non-refundable then get in touch with the CAB who run the Trading Standards helpline service on 03454 04 05 06

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
The guy is probably within his rights to keep the deposit (depending on the contract you signed) but how about naming and shaming him! You can then show him the adverse publicity he is getting and suggest that you can place similar posts on other vehicle forums... perhaps he'll change his mind?

If you didn't sign a contract and he didn't tell you that the deposit was non-refundable then get in touch with the CAB who run the Trading Standards helpline service on 03454 04 05 06
he does have terms and conditions on his web site that says a deposit may be asked for (course i didn't read these till after the event! idiot!). I am thinking about the naming and shaming! Not good practice, but I was stupid for agreeing to the deposit and i didnt ask if it was non refundable. Just shocked that he should act this way its cost him nothing in terms of time or money and he gains rather than loses in this...just awful!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would not resort to threats of shaming, but presuming the dealer is now fitting the alarm for free you are quids in

If he is not then stick with the original deal for the alarm

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I do believe a deposit is a promise to buy and even a verble agreement is binding in law ,or was.
Unfortunate that it is 10% comes to mind?
Perhaps the legal eagles can clarify.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I would not resort to threats of shaming, but presuming the dealer is now fitting the alarm for free you are quids in

If he is not then stick with the original deal for the alarm
he isn't fitting for free, but giving a good deal and great service.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I do believe a deposit is a promise to buy and even a verble agreement is binding in law ,or was.
Unfortunate that it is 10% comes to mind?
Perhaps the legal eagles can clarify.
looks like i have learned hard lesson but in terms of fairness and service..isnt he pretty gross!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Yep given the circumstances ,a genuine mistake so perhaps a name so that others don't do likewise ?
;)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the sum of money makes it worth the hassle you could try the small claims route. https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview
If you tried to cancel after just 4 days he may have a problem trying to prove he is out of pocket, ie that he would have made a loss had he refunded your deposit.

However, there will be a fee to pay and there is no guarantee you will win.

The link above also covers mediation, which might be a better alternative.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
looks like i have learned hard lesson but in terms of fairness and service..isnt he pretty gross!

He is pretty poor on all fronts, he has lost any hope of your business or anybody else you get the chance to divert

But in the whole scheme of MH ownership / running costs it is nothing, smile, take a deep breath and move on

Think nice thoughts about your new MH :)

Deleted User
Did you telephone the company to arrange the fitting of the alarm or actually visit the place. If by telephone you should be covered by the Consumer contracts regulations.

Reactions: Sue
OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
The guy has a mh himself, so may be on here...so hesitating to name and shame( I cant see him, and its not one of the members used by so many!)
just know having had a business that its all about giving good service and this is the pits.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Quite reasonable to name and shame someone with that attitude, just because you made a mistake......The aim of furums is surely to protect each other and spread the word regards hard faced company's like this....

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
Quite reasonable to name and shame someone with that attitude, just because you made a mistake......The aim of furums is surely to protect each other and spread the word regards hard faced company's like this....
i know
just need to think this through....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

While like Sue I would be annoyed that I had paid a deposit and lost it, I have to ask my self what is the point of paying a deposit in the first place if you want it back if you for what ever reason don't need the service.

The guy is in business and took a deposit , surly this is not a hanging offence.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Of course I don't know the full story but I can sympathise with the dealer if he has to order and pay for specific parts that ultimately sit on his shelf. Not all customers behave in an honourable manner and sometimes a deposit offsets the wasted time.

If the contract says the deposit is non refundable then you have to live with it.

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
While like Sue I would be annoyed that I had paid a deposit and lost it, I have to ask my self what is the point of paying a deposit in the first place if you want it back if you for what ever reason don't need the service.

The guy is in business and took a deposit , surly this is not a hanging offence.
the deposit was to secure a date . the date was 4 weeks away, and being stupid , i thought best to make sure. If he had locked in the date and made a loss, i would say fair enough, but i he told me he is very busy(felt pressured to secure the date as a result) so i know he will fill the slot and has not lost out.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps he could fit "your" alarm to another member's MH?

Just a possible solution.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If your dealer has said he'll fit an alarm, and the fella you gave the deposit to has also said he'll fit an alarm, perhaps, maybe! let the deposit fella fit the alarm, and get a deal, for another accessory to be fitted instead of the dealers alarm, by the dealer

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If your dealer has said he'll fit an alarm, and the fella you gave the deposit to has also said he'll fit an alarm, perhaps, maybe! let the deposit fella fit the alarm, and get a deal, for another accessory to be fitted instead of the dealers alarm, by the dealer

Another great idea. you might get a solar panel fitted instead :)

Reactions: Sue
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I think Tootles is right, just found if you make a 'distance purchase' there is a cooling off period, so think this would be applicable in your case for a refund. Have a Google.

If you paid by credit card, won't you be covered anyway? :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back