Sep 2, 2011
sunderland
Funster No
MH
iveco
Exp
Hello,

Was hoping somebody could help.

Where's the best ferry crossing, I'm in the north east with several options. Just hoping somebody could provide me with the most appropriate and best priced crossing.

Also if anybody could suggest a good scenic route with a few night-time pints along the way.

Regards,

Denis.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
hull/zeebrugge overnight then fresh to start,(y)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
a good scenic route

Just booked our tickets on Eurotunnel, 3rd - 20th May. Mrs MB just looks at a full bath and she is seasick ! Anyway Our first trip across the pond and after a foray in Belgium (war cemeteries) and a couple of nights in Luxemburg. we are off to follow the "Romantic route " German classic route ?? but it gets good reviews and having a wee shufty looks interesting. Wurzburg to Fussen. we will pop along to Lake Constanz then up the Moselle valley to join the Rhine then work out a retreat route home depending on time left. May pay the penalties and change return dates.

PS following the advice of several on Fun I am not prebooking my overnights as I don't like running to a schedule and they say if one spot is busy their is usually an alternative nearby, so just going to wing it !

PPS There is another thread about the Romantic Route.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
DFDS from Newcastle would be your best bet, we are doing the same trip in May

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I assume you have read the recent post by bollard who is doing something similar to yourself. The Romantic Route is on my list of things to do, but don't fancy doing it alone, perhaps one day.
Have a great time over there, I would personally take the ferry Dover - Calais. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Last edited:

sinner

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 765
Exp
since 2011
Dover - Calais fast cheap :)
There is so much to do just drive and you will enjoy :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Road miles are always cheaper than ferry miles, if price is important to you.

We're taking our first extended trip to Germany this year, starting with Munich. We're taking an early Dover-Calais ferry (cheapest available return ticket cost us just under £100 with the Camping & Caravan Club booking service) then we'll probably stop on an aire somewhere near Metz on the first night. After that we'll follow the SatNav and hope to be in Munich on the second night.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
+1 for the hull ferry although I would do Rotterdam.. no idea on price comparison though.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Enjoy your trip to Deutschland. One of my favorite countries. ( probably because I spent so long there as a soldier ). Make sure you have a Bratwurst and pomfrits or better still a currywurst, it's a must.
As for the ferry, not sure how the price from a more northan port compares with price at Dover plus the driving expense and time but It's a nice drive from Dunkirk. >:)

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
north east with several options

Just done my sums for you. Dumfries to Folkestone 400miles (shit) I reckon 14 gall jungle juice + Tunnel return fare £156 = £230 or there abouts. Sorrry another 14 Gall to get us home again so + another £75 .
DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam return, same dates £498 (with 2 berth cabin):(:whistle:
Time, we are leaving Sat, then stop with sis in York, set off Sun for a 8.20pm departure train,A1, A14, M11, M25, Dartford tunnel,M20. Arrive Calais then mosey along to Gravelines Aire and see if I can plonk her bottie (Van) in there for the night, there is an alternative less than a mile away. Early start Mon for adventures. :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Just done my sums for you. Dumfries to Folkestone 400miles (shit) I reckon 14 gall jungle juice + Tunnel return fare £156 = £230 or there abouts. Sorrry another 14 Gall to get us home again so + another £75 .
DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam return, same dates £498 (with 2 berth cabin):(:whistle:
Time, we are leaving Sat, then stop with sis in York, set off Sun for a 8.20pm departure train,A1, A14, M11, M25, Dartford tunnel,M20. Arrive Calais then mosey along to Gravelines Aire and see if I can plonk her bottie (Van) in there for the night, there is an alternative less than a mile away. Early start Mon for adventures. :)

Use tesco vochers tunnel £56

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Am I the only person that stays in the dunes at Sangatte on our first night, and NEVER had any trouble, virtually on the beach, bliss (y)

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
We did the Moselle last Aug/Sept during the wine festival season:wine:Had a great time. We did Euro-tunnel (Tesco points) and a steady drive through Belgium but no time constraints for us. Word of warning, you will need plenty of cash. Germany isn't up to speed on the benefits of debit cards, even in the large towns.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We are thinking of going to Germany after the easter break. We had a great time there years ago when you could sail Newcastle to Hamburg. Didn't pre plan, just pootled and discovered. I can't remember the cash/card situation so thanks for that redjumpa but are credit cards widely acceptable?

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I cannot recommend any particular crossing since we only use the ferry Dover Calais .We have spent some time touring Germany over the last 3 years and I can recommend the "Romantic Road " as well as cycling by the Danube , Rhein as well as the Moselle and lake Constance . Loads of Stellplatz to stay on as well as campsites. How much you will see depends on how long you are going for . I cannot recommend the Currywurst though or any wurst since the food is not Germany's best asset apart from the breads and gateaux . We often use the Italian or Greek restaurants as well as the Nordsee chain of restaurants. If you are crossing via France get your wine from there although I quite like Reisling and of course German beer which is excellent . You must have the black forest cake which is heavenly and goes by the name of"Swartswald kirch torte "if I have got it right . I am sure that you will have a great time .

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

You've missed the cost of the extra miles the other side. The OP is about going to Germany not France.

I cannot recommend the Currywurst though or any wurst since the food is not Germany's best asset apart from the breads and gateaux

I'm in the opposite camp on this. I love German food... Schnellie or restaurant or buy in the supermarket and cook yourself. Schnitzel, wurst, senf.. sauerkraut, amazing bread, amazing cakes... can't wait to go back..

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
6D96716A-FE77-4FD4-A3D4-9990D1ECDBF9.jpg
BADD436C-7D3B-493A-A1D3-D5B9401BB0B3.jpg

German food boring!! Nah. Just good walking food!!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi ...yes the fish on a stick is something we have not tried as yet ,how is it ? . Still staying on the subject of food it soon becomes obvious that Supermarkets are generally small and the likes of Aldi ,Lidl ,Norma and Netto seem to dominate. There are very few large hypermarkets which is good in a way since small businesses still exist in the high street . You are never too far away from a doner kebab it that takes your fancy . And yes cash is king !

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
The OP is about going to Germany not France.

Aye and so am I, read earlier posts, although I have a mission in Belgium first. The DFDS Newcastle to Hamburg route is not operational, I think !

So I was illustrating my rough costings. I have a similar voyage to do to get there but boats are off the agenda for us.

Depends on where in Germany OP wants to go, he is looking for ideas and I was suggesting what I am doing, the Romantischer Strasse.

My cheapie Chinese sat nav is now preprogrammed, Calais, Ypres, Geraardsberg, Waterloo, Luxemburg, Metz, Trier, Koblenz, Wurzburg. Wing it from there to Fussen, Lake Constanz then it will depend on what time I have left, may have to make a rapid retreat !!

:)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm up for Germany but I'm probably going to have to wait till I retire.. too much to see in France.. although I have got Ms Tigger to agree to turning left next time out of Calais.

May 31, 2011
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
re-living the gloryb days of series 2 BC
Hi, just to share our Autumn trip to same
Tunnel - belgium (overnight) - 1st stop Luxembourg - Trier - Mosel - Rhine - Romantic route but drafted away to Danube (Miltenburg well worth a look) down to the German Alps (best bit) - across to Black Forest and then return to almost Trier with vet stop at Spa
Absolutely great but for us Mosel well overrated, far too busy - vans queuing at noon for riverside pitch, no thank you
Enjoy

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Did the Rhine & Mosel and few years back and have just returned from Berlin (not with van). One thing we found was that CASH is still King. Credit cards are not so widely accepted as they are here or France. Go wine tasting, the Germans keep the best wine at home! Lots of the campsites along the Rhine & Mosel will look very busy and or full but many of them have seasonal pitches and depending the day of the week, time of the year they may or may not be that busy so best to have a look anyway. The Stellplatz (Aires) is probably a bit better than in France (should I have said that?) with many having electricity. Many campsites will have their own Stellplatz along side the site. We're off to Austria this year probably via France and returning via Germany so if we're going again thats a good sign!

OP
OP
ravensworth

ravensworth

Free Member
Sep 2, 2011
sunderland
Funster No
MH
iveco
Exp
hi what a lot of view. i now going to study map with all these place in mind. what i get done in two week i will let you no. i done want to fall in to trap of trying to fit to much thank for all the help denis

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
hi what a lot of view. i now going to study map with all these place in mind. what i get done in two week i will let you no. i done want to fall in to trap of trying to fit to much thank for all the help denis

We always plan more than we can fit in. That way if somethings no good or suddenly feels too far to drive, we always have something else to do..

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.