Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Just wondering how others manage to clean the overhead cab. The front seems to get lots of black streaks and dead insects, but as my arms are not 5 feet long I have trouble reaching the area.

Is there some magic technique or gadget I am missing ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hard work, with one of those bendy ladders that turn into a platform.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have just ordered from Maplin a set of ladders that convert to a platform, big rubber feet etc.
There are a number of proprietary products on the market that make cleaning of black
streaks easy eg Autogleam caravan cleaner.
I will report back when new ladders/platform have been used.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes, the 4x4 tread ones are tall enough to fit over a van bonnet. Best to put some towels underneath though, just in case, to avoid scratches.

And I tie it to the door handles.

Still a pain in the bum.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I use an extending pole mop (no not a Pole but a pole :) ) It's really for doing floors (came from Lidl) but works a treat but still takes elbow grease.

Our MH is filthy on the outside so will be washing her before we go away at the weekend.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I have just ordered from Maplin a set of ladders that convert to a platform, big rubber feet etc.
There are a number of proprietary products on the market that make cleaning of black
streaks easy eg Autogleam caravan cleaner.
I will report back when new ladders/platform have been used.

Good set of ladders(its what I use) along with two sets of ladder mats as recommendedon this forum by Broken Link Removed
Be very careful with what you clean your motorhome with as some (motorhome) cleaners are quite aggressive and will take any protection (wax etc.) as well as the black streaks

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I was never that kinky Brian :LOL: Low profiles are easier - I can reach from each side to the middle using the big step ladders (y)

Dead on,low profile is the way to go!!
Spent too long up a ladder just my extending pole ooh aah Mrs.

Reactions: GJH

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Cherry-pickers would be good for that, ladders too shallow an angle and slip away, Worst part of cleaning the van I end up doing it downwards from the roof.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yep, one of those multi-posture ladder/platforms is the answer. Make sure you get the alluminium platforms with it though- some come without! Oh, and DO use the stabilisers, because the ladder width is quite narrow. Not sure what law of science it is, but when in the platform configuration, it will topple if you lean too far without the stabilisers fitted :crying1:

I also use a telescopic brush which terminates in a Hozelock fitting. Can reach the whole roof without moving the platform.

Reactions: CJB

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yep, one of those multi-posture ladder/platforms is the answer. Make sure you get the alluminium platforms with it though- some come without! Oh, and DO use the stabilisers, because the ladder width is quite narrow. Not sure what law of science it is, but when in the platform configuration, it will topple if you lean too far without the stabilisers fitted :crying1:

I also use a telescopic brush which terminates in a Hozelock fitting. Can reach the whole roof without moving the platform.
I'm disappointed. I thought you would clean your roof by making low level passes in the plane :D

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Heh heh.
If I remember my Air Law correctly Graham, simplified, it says something like, maintain a minimum of 1,500' above the highest fixed object unless landing or taking off!

Helicopter pilots could blow-dry their van at the same time :D

Reactions: GJH

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Stepladders and elbow grease is how I do ours, then the extendable brush attached to hose, I have a Halfords one that dispenses washing liquid or rinses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back