Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
On our 2nd site now and I have noticed when on level ground the front end is lower than the rear meaning I have to use the yellow wedges to get it horizontal. Is this normal with some vans? Ours is Ace modena. Sorry for another thread, getting used to our new baby!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've noticed it on several vans.. I imagine if it were fully laden it may level out .. ?

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Certainly happens on our AutoTrail and I'm sure our previous Swift was the same.
Most of the time I don't worry about it being a tad down on the front and we are now quite used to it.
If it was down at the rear however it would be a problem sleeping.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Here's a stupid question - why don't MHs come with corner steadies as standard, like caravans? I suppose they're too heavy?
Worrying my name'll be mud on first outing, if the campsites aren't totally level. Planning on getting air suspension but need the smoke to clear a little on the credit card. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sounds like your van is on a Ducato chassis, most are these days, and the nose down attitude is normal. A slight slope on the pitch will level the van, otherwise, use levelling blocks. I believe the nose down attitude gives these vans good stability at speed.

Upvote 0

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Here's a stupid question - why don't MHs come with corner steadies as standard, like caravans? I suppose they're too heavy?
Worrying my name'll be mud on first outing, if the campsites aren't totally level. Planning on getting air suspension but need the smoke to clear a little on the credit card. :)
Corner steadies won't level a motor home..........neither will air suspension so keep the cc in your pocket and save yourself some money. :active:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
paul18

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Sounds like your van is on a Ducato chassis, most are these days, and the nose down attitude is normal. A slight slope on the pitch will level the van, otherwise, use levelling blocks. I believe the nose down attitude gives these vans good stability at speed.

Yes, Fiat Ducato chassis

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

correct..
you can have them fitted to 'steady' the van.... some vans do move about a lot when your walking about.. but will not level it..

if you want to level the van without leveling ramps you can fit hydraulic jacks .. one at each corner.. many RVs have them,...arrive on site, press button.. down they go and .. presto.. you are level..

downside.. expensive, and use of payload

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours is the same. It seems to be a bit of an optical illusion as it always looks far worse outside than it actually is on the inside.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

We have rear steadies on ours. As @ScotJimland says they aren't for levelling it, just to keep it from moving around too much.

IMO they are a complete waste of time and I never use them (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
That's probably why we didn't get them as an option NickNic.
Getting my gadgets mixed up! :rolleyes: Jeroen knows it's hydraulics - as if he'd trust me to choose the toys. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Ours is slightly nose down as well. We use the leveling blocks if we have to, doesn't bother us much now as it seems to be "normal" on Ducato based vehicles.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's probably why we didn't get them as an option NickNic.
Getting my gadgets mixed up! :rolleyes: Jeroen knows it's hydraulics - as if he'd trust me to choose the toys. :ROFLMAO:
No, you were right. There is air suspension and there is air-assisted suspension. Full air suspension is expensive - £1.5K+ but they can be used to level the vehicle, just like you can with corner steadies on a caravan. Air-assisted suspension costs a few hundred pounds and is reported to give a smoother ride than the standard setup as they replace some solid rubber "bump-stops" with air bags. You can self-level with air-assisted if you have an on-board compressor, but the cheaper installations are just inflated using a garage tyre pump. My understanding is that the amount of travel you can get from air-assisted suspension is limited compared to full air suspension but I would not claim to be an ex-spurt.

It has been discussed here before and some folk have published handy guides on how they fitted air-assisted suspension. (Edit: See above!) What you can or cannot do on each MH depends very much on the base vehicle.

Air suspension: http://www.vbairsuspension.co.uk/en/page/applications/motorhome.html

Air-assisted suspension: http://www.rhinoinstalls.co.uk/airride.htm

Other suppliers are available - those are just what Google came up with. :) Ask on here for recommendations if you want to investigate further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On our 2nd site now and I have noticed when on level ground the front end is lower than the rear meaning I have to use the yellow wedges to get it horizontal. Is this normal with some vans? Ours is Ace modena. Sorry for another thread, getting used to our new baby!
I don't think it is a fault. The front I believe is the correct ride hight and it is the rear which is too high! If you look at a modern car they often have air dams underneath the front bumper. This is to reduce drag and therefore improve mpg. The idea is to avoid a great gap underneath the front of the vehicle. Of course it could be argued on a MH you probably wouldn't notice the difference but if the front of your vehicle isn't hitting things then I would leave it alone. I actually like the slight difference because on a gently sloping site I can pitch in front or rear first as appropriate so the vehicle levels without the need for ramps.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In ours the difference looks worse from the outside than it is in reality. On a flat pitch it would be level enough for us. Wine stay on the table, sink drains away. We do have the benefit in ours we can sleep either way round, so to speak.

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Wifey won't have her head at the front of the pitch anymore when in bed! So it's reverse in every time now. So I prefer a slight slope to the back

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It is normal for some vans to sit off level. Personally I always use ramps to level up as being even slightly off level is a pet hate. If off level, doors dont close properly and worse still the fridge does not work correctly. How many times have I heard people say "My fridge does not keep things as cool as it used to" only to look at the van and its sitting as though its had a double blowout. Over time being off level destroys the fridge. I know, have had to replace enough in second hand vans.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We have air assist suspension and find the ride ok, also have rear steadies but with the overhang on our MH it is needed as the wobble is significant when not used. She does seem to sit level though.

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Corner steadies won't level a motor home..........neither will air suspension so keep the cc in your pocket and save yourself some money. :active:

Our air suspension will level our MoHo, no problems on most sites.(y) Ok, 20% hill may be a little difficult.

Regards,

Trikeman.;)

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well, I can now contribute from my vast experience of renting one for a week... :rofl:!

The Mooveo P6 definitely looked tail high from the outside yet according to the phone's bubble level app - the table, the cooker top etc were almost perfectly level!

So whether it's an optical illusion, or the interior is built with an exactly offset slope the other way (can you imagine the standard of craftmanship required to do that!) I cannot say...

But in my "excitement" of playing with a van for the first time, level didn't enter my head. Reverse parking, straight, without hitting bollards was my first priority :whistle2:.

But when I went to bed... :wine:... I can't say I noticed any leanings one way or another - I have to assume I was lucky with having several absolutely level pitches (y).

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Well, I can now contribute from my vast experience of renting one for a week... :rofl:!

The Mooveo P6 definitely looked tail high from the outside yet according to the phone's bubble level app - the table, the cooker top etc were almost perfectly level!

So whether it's an optical illusion, or the interior is built with an exactly offset slope the other way (can you imagine the standard of craftmanship required to do that!) I cannot say...

But in my "excitement" of playing with a van for the first time, level didn't enter my head. Reverse parking, straight, without hitting bollards was my first priority :whistle2:.

But when I went to bed... :wine:... I can't say I noticed any leanings one way or another - I have to assume I was lucky with having several absolutely level pitches (y).

If you wake up on the floor dribbling from the right, you have -
a) not levelled correctly.
b) had a bloody good night out.

Both are fun, but can leave one feeling a little queezy though.

Trikeman.(y)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Four channel 4C air suspension will level the van on a reasonable slope, but yes it will hammer the CC.

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Never bother with levelling up!
When off site wilding in a field or on the beach just park as level as I can.Normally just read the ground and when in position look over my shoulder down the van to gauge how level we are ,it's not that hard.
When on site we find most pitches are reasonably level if there's a slight slope we will reverse on or drive on to suit ,as long as my head is slightly higher than my feet I sleep ok.
I've spent a good few hours pissing myself watching people revving the nuts off their van guided by co pilot up and down on blocks front to back and side to side on a pitch that's basically level!

Vlad

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back