LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
it is all down to preferance to your own needs.

Me? it would be a second leisure battery everytime.

Im sure others will have there own way but the second battery will see you allright throughout the short days.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Depends how long you are staying and how much electricity you use. We have a bank of 4 110ah batteries and 170w of solar panel, during summer in the UK we can easily go a week without hook up, even if watching an hour or two of TV every evening. In Spain, where we never watch TV we can be hook up free for weeks on end, using an inverter to charge laptops and mobiles etc.

My advice would be to go for extra batteries first and if they are not lasting you long enough then get a small genny to liven them up every now and then.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
How long is a piece of string, if you want a complete and accurate answer you have to give details.

I suggest you calculate your wattage consumption per day multiply by the number of days without charge, if the consumption is greater than your useable battery capacity then you need more battery's.

If you want to go down the solar panel path the you need to calculate your your wattage consumption against the minimum wattage from your solar panels, which can be nearly zero on a bad day.

If you go down the generator path you have to aware that a large amount of the people around you will hate your guts, and if you are on the continent they will tell you so!!

Doug...

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi,before you waste a lot of money that you may not need to,fit a second leisure battery every time :thumb:then see if you need anything else :thumb:A lot of people buy expensive solar panels that they probably never need :ROFLMAO:just to tell others I have got this and never run out of power :winky: they probably would never run out of it any way :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Solar panel or wind generator are fine as long as there is sufficient sun or wind, either way to take advantage of either you will need a second leisure battery, I wild ALL the time never have hook up. I have 2 x 120amp/hr batteries and 55W solar panel. But still have a genny for backup. That is sufficient provided we moved location every day, thereby charging from the engine as well last trip was 3 weeks and had enough power, never used the genny. Change ALL lights to led's to save power switch off when not needed, you don't need all lights blazing all evening. Switch water pump off when not in use, blown air heating uses a lot of battery power. an old BW 12v TV only uses around 15w instead of 45-80 learn to manage your power. limit laptop use, broadband access is available in every public library for free for checking emails etc.
Generally learn to live a life without power for most of the time. If it gets cold put extra clothes on or get into bed. Good luck. Enjoy.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
How long is a piece of string, if you want a complete and accurate answer you have to give details.

Doug...

Couldn't agree more ,
This question is often asked and can be confusing to newbies , and there are many solutions solar pannels /wind generators/petrol,deisel generators/inverters/more batteries etc.

I would suggest you check you current total leisure battery capacities then roughly work out your probable needs. Understanding battery use will help you decide what or if you need the above items.

To give you an idea have a look Click here
i know its for caravans ;but the principal is the same

Regards

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Where, how long for and in what season. ?

In UK winter and for more than a couple of days, buy a generator.

In general a good idea but how many modern MHs would have sufficient/suitable space (smells and danger from fuel!) and sufficient payload for a generator?

I have thought this through and through and there appears to be no one solution that fits all.

I will probably get solar panels and another battery as I do not fancy carrying a generator in my panel van.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i must have a very poor sense of smell......:winky:

our genny travels in the under seat locker in the lounge area or under the dinette table if i cant be arsed to put it in the locker.....and the jerry can lives in the passengers door well:Blush:

never had a smell of petrol in the van yet!!!!

mine is a kipor which has a valve on the filler cap which may account for the lack of petrol fumes.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In general a good idea but how many modern MHs would have sufficient/suitable space (smells and danger from fuel!) and sufficient payload for a generator?

I have thought this through and through and there appears to be no one solution that fits all.

I will probably get solar panels and another battery as I do not fancy carrying a generator in my panel van.

If you intend to camp in the UK winter for more than a couple of days without EHU you will need more than a solar power and an extra battery ..

Like them or not, a genny is the only practical option under these conditions.. modern suitcase gennys are not smelly or dangerous .. if concerned transporting petrol have it converted to LPG ..

S

sinbad1

Deleted User

Think with solar pannels its expense and its output over here might very well be dissapointed in output. As for the smell and safety side of gennies , that another issue, at the moment I don't think its illegal have a petrol genny or jerry cans onboard.

You would certainly not get a safety certificate if it were on a boat.

Having said that don't forget you allready have a good generator (your engine) which you can fit alternator controllers for max charging

You could opt for a deisel cocoon jenny safe and quiet:thumb: at a price:Sad:

Regards

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back