Free Member
Jan 19, 2015
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2014
Hi. We are planning our first European trip in our Motorhome with our dog Harley (a cocker spaniel) going by Eurostar. Is it best to buy the vaccines in the UK before departure. Also where is the best vets near Calais and do you have to pre book.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Any particular type of wormer ? Or will all be accepted ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Your dog has to be chipped, rabies vaccinated and have passport before you leave UK
Then , more than 24 hours but less than 120 hours before you re enter the UK you have to take the dog to a vet, either with the correct Drontal dose or let the vet supply it. Make sure the vet signs, stamps dates and puts correct time on passport. Present passport at check in, you are given chip reader which you activate and hand back. Paperwork is then churned out and ticked by check in clerk . takes between 5-15 minutes.

P.S the vet has to administer wormer to dog or watch you do it. Heard of someone who gave the dog the Drontal, then went to a vet asking her to sign the passport!

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Thanks we have the passport but are unsure if thre is a specific wormer . So is it just drontal ? Looking at buying before we go in a few weeks. Any recommendations for cheapest place to buy them ?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have taken our dog three times, first time paid the French vet for the worming tablet, we had taken some ham in to wrap tablet, worked well, paid extra and don't know how much more

second time took tablet bought from our vets, plus our own ham slice again, all good not sure if any cheaper though

third time, our tablet and ham, dog now wise, scoffed ham spat out tablet, no more ham, tablet too soggy to force in, vet then insisted on injection for wormer, 80 euros !!

going again in April, need another plan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
we have taken our dog three times, first time paid the French vet for the worming tablet, we had taken some ham in to wrap tablet, worked well, paid extra and don't know how much more

second time took tablet bought from our vets, plus our own ham slice again, all good not sure if any cheaper though

third time, our tablet and ham, dog now wise, scoffed ham spat out tablet, no more ham, tablet too soggy to force in, vet then insisted on injection for wormer, 80 euros !!

Let the vet give the dog the tablet? Or open dogs mouth, push tablet as far back as poss, keeping to centre of mouth. Go to the side and it won't be swallowed. Keep dogs mouth closed, lift nose and stroke throat firmly, tablet will be swallowed.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Or open dogs mouth, push tablet as far back as poss, keeping to centre of mouth. Go to the side and it won't be swallowed. Keep dogs mouth closed, lift nose and stroke throat firmly, tablet will be swallowed.
This is what I do to administer tablets to our two Labradors.
I can also recommend the vet at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine (on the map above). We used them in summer 2013 and the vet was great, he even asked if we wanted his tablets or our own.
And all 5 mins from the riverside aire

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
This is what I do to administer tablets to our two Labradors.
I can also recommend the vet at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine (on the map above). We used them in summer 2013 and the vet was great, he even asked if we wanted his tablets or our own.
And all 5 mins from the riverside aire

How much does he charge per labrador, the sign said from 15 euros? He was closed when I stayed as it was a Saturday.
My Staffie weighs in around 20kgs.
I stop off at the vets in Calais usually, around 30 euros, I let them do their tablet and then know all will be OK.
She gets me to hold his mouth open and puts the tablet on a small stick which she drops at his throat, I pat him underneath and he swallows. As stated in other thread, ensure passport is dated and timed, there is no flexibilty if it is not in order.
If you are heading fairly south into France buy a Scalibor collar, helps protect against sand flies, ticks and mosquitoes.

msm.JPG

Last edited:

Deleted User
We use Milbermax, and took some with us last year, it is accepted for the passport.
it is a chewy soft tablet type thing, but it must have some sort of flavour to it because the dogs eat it as though a treat. The vet we used last year just placed them on table in front of our dogs and they grabbed them up straight away.
We just tossed them in the air when dosing them ourselves.
Much easier than trying to get a tablet down them (y)

Lin

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
How much does he charge per labrador, the sign said from 15 euros?
Hi Larby
The full bill inc his tablets was 45 euros for the two dogs. I paid 25 euros for the tablets (2 each = 4) & 20 euros for the consultation making the 45 euro. We were there on a Thursday, before visiting family near Dieppe at the weekend. We tried this vet because of the aire being so close & enroute, and the cost of using my uncle's local vet was almost double.
Cheers
Steve

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi Larby
The full bill inc his tablets was 45 euros for the two dogs. I paid 25 euros for the tablets (2 each = 4) & 20 euros for the consultation making the 45 euro. We were there on a Thursday, before visiting family near Dieppe at the weekend. We tried this vet because of the aire being so close & enroute, and the cost of using my uncle's local vet was almost double.
Cheers
Steve
Thanks for that. I knew they charge on weight so that works out at 22.5 euros for a Lab which would be similar to mine.
I know the vet's prices vary depending on where you are. I found the one in Calais 3 years ago. Straight in door, wait until they can fit you in, just need dog and passport and no need to speak French. Last year got there at 9.30 am and was in and out by 9.50 so had the rest of the day clear. Park outside door!! Just 1 km from Calais Aire..
Peter

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning

CHEESE???

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

CHEESE???

That was the only way we could get ours to take tablets..... bury them in cheese and throw the cheese to her. She used to give us a disgusted look afterwards though.

The back of mouth technique didn't work - even the vet couldn't make her swallow a tablet.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a Beagle, he will eat anything so just scoffs the tablet. Our Labrador is suspicious of everything you give her ( but will eat a loaf of bread or box of Thorntons toffees complete with wrapping if left to her own devices) the vet always has to force the tablets down her.
We never bother taking our own tablets, vet prices, if you research beforehand, aren't too bad. We use the same vets in Brittany before we come home and the cost is about €45 for the 2 dogs including examination and both parts completed in the passport.
Allan

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We have had our daschound done twice now, both times in Germany. I pick a day about 3 days before we are due to come home, find a vet on the Internet close to where we are going to be and send an email to book him in. We pay for the worming tablet and to get flea'd / ticked and it has never cost more that 50 euros for both

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner

you had us both laughing at that one ,we have three dogs, won't be laughing if we have to pay 3 x 80 euros

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you had us both laughing at that one ,we have three dogs, won't be laughing if we have to pay 3 x 80 euros

we are off again next weekend. plan is the cheese, will be getting her used to it (minus the tablet) over the fortnight we are away (y) taking our own tablet again though, potentially reduce risk of over charge, might as well get ripped of by our own vets :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Last year the vet we used for the check before coming back had a special offer on for the Milbemax chewable tablets so we stocked up, the dogs take them no problem and the tablets probably work out at about €5 each, we used most of them but as they had an expiry date of August 2015 I've sold them to another funster as on our next foreign trip we don't come back until September. I'm not sure whether we'll buy a job lot again though as they seems to only have about a 12-15 month expiry date on them - so if you do decide to stock up check the 'use by' date.

Although not a requirement now, we also popped into a Vet's office during our holiday and bought some Advantix tick and flea treatment as it is only available here from a vet or with a prescription if you want to buy it elswhere so can cost a bit. We used to use Frontline but Advantix covers more of the nasties that they get abroad.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
On the way back from Portugal, we used a vet in Marquise
Marquise Clinique Veterinaire Des Caps,
9 Avenue Ferber
Tel - 03 21 92 89 12
Close A16 (E402)
Carrefour next door for parking
30 euros for Suki
Mon - Fri - 0800-1200/1330-1900
Sat - 0830-1300
50.81323, 1.699741
English spoken, we got to Marquise after they had closed so stayed in Carrefour's carpark for the night.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Last year the vet we used for the check before coming back had a special offer on for the Milbemax chewable tablets so we stocked up, the dogs take them no problem and the tablets probably work out at about €5 each, we used most of them but as they had an expiry date of August 2015 I've sold them to another funster as on our next foreign trip we don't come back until September. I'm not sure whether we'll buy a job lot again though as they seems to only have about a 12-15 month expiry date on them - so if you do decide to stock up check the 'use by' date.

Although not a requirement now, we also popped into a Vet's office during our holiday and bought some Advantix tick and flea treatment as it is only available here from a vet or with a prescription if you want to buy it elswhere so can cost a bit. We used to use Frontline but Advantix covers more of the nasties that they get abroad.

thanks for that MinxyG, we use chewable flea and tick, (nex gard) after issues with Frontline not working for ticks, will see if our vet will get us Milbemax for worms, so much easier (y)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

I keep a tub of cream cheese for hiding tablets in to give to our dog :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Just crush the tablet between 2 spoons. Instant dust to spread on a tasty bit of meat or cheese. The little buggers can't spit out dust :boxing:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WE let the vet provide and administer the tablet usually 'Milbemax'. Cost €8-€10 for tablet and all fees. If you go to a vet anywhere near the channel ports you will pay a lot more and as you've got up to 5 days it makes sense to give the dose down south before heading north.

We also give Meg another dose when we get home (with our vets blessing), as the continental tapeworm is a really bad b>gger. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinococcus_multilocularis

There are many biting thingies as well, so to protect Meg she has 'Advocate' at the beginning of each month and 'Advantix' in the middle of each month. Keeps everything away, just wish they made something as good for humans.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back