French castor wheel m/cycle trailer (1 Viewer)

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Has anyone purchased and used one of the French castor wheel trailers? If so I would welcome their feedback. I'm considering buying one myself when next in France. They are not cheap but do seem to get over the rear axle weight problem, keep the overall length short and are considerably more manoeuvre able than a standard short trailer.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The scooter I have recently purchased was too heavy for a tow bar bike rack, so I looked long and hard at the twin castor wheel and large single castor wheeled trailers.

They were not inexpensive but that isn't what put me off. So in the end I bought the largest Garage motor home with the biggest pay-load I could find so that I could put it inside and be no longer than the standard van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
The scooter I have recently purchased was too heavy for a tow bar bike rack, so I looked long and hard at the twin castor wheel and large single castor wheeled trailers.

They were not inexpensive but that isn't what put me off. So in the end I bought the largest Garage motor home with the biggest pay-load I could find so that I could put it inside and be no longer than the standard van.
So what put you off Popeye?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Uk verison was easy lift

Is it proven reliable now ? Or was it another make that failed ?

Because of the castoring wheels all the centripetal force of the bike when cornering is taken on that thin looking framework and the close together lugs on the towbar. Are towbars stressed for such a side/twisting load.

I don't know but questions worth asking.

Another one I saw had a pair of ball hitches widely spaced, now that looked like it spread the stresses better.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Do you know the name of the French version? Would be interesting to compare to the Easylifter offering.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Is it proven reliable now ? Or was it another make that failed ?

Because of the castoring wheels all the centripetal force of the bike when cornering is taken on that thin looking framework and the close together lugs on the towbar. Are towbars stressed for such a side/twisting load.

I don't know but questions worth asking.

Another one I saw had a pair of ball hitches widely spaced, now that looked like it spread the stresses better.

personally think they look very suspect...

Rowley, I thought I found a link to french model but it was dead due to unpaid bill:)

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
possibly not classed as a trailer either on ferries? when discussed before I seem to remember some thought to much stress on the wheel..are they type approved in France?

Uk verison was easy lift: http://www.easylifter.co.uk/hydra-trail.htm
I seem to remember some concern over weight transference but I think that applied to a single tow hitch whereas the Tracty double castor wheel trailer has two tow hitches so the weight transfer would be a cross the whole back of the tow bar if that makes sense. My concern would be for the reliability of the castor wheel mechanism. Having seen supermarket trolley wheels 'wobble' when worn, I would like some reassurance as to how long the castor action will last and what are the maintenance costs and schedules like? If no one has gone down this road already I will do the research with the French company concerned but no point in duplicating effort. If no one has actually bought one I'd appreciate some feedback as to why not because it seems like a good solution to carrying a decent sized motorcycle

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Rowley, I thought I found a link to french model but it was dead due to unpaid bill:)

Here is a frog one.

frog.jpg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Saw this one in Le Touquet last year , but can't find photo of mfg label, looked a good bit of kit with winch up platform.
image.jpg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think there were a couple of French versions, I have seen one and was very impressed, it was very ruggedly made and used two tow hitches. Looked like it would survive a Sahara crossing. I looked them up on the net and though they have a website they seem to have gone out of business. Unfortunately, I am suffering brain fade and can't remember their name but they were mentioned here on MHF last year. The other maker uses a single tow hitch and a steady bar, which is probably cheaper but looks a bit Heath Robinson to me and they weren't built to the same standard as the other one.

Not a lot of help am I? :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Has anyone seen the type that isn't fastened to the 'van with a hook up.
We were in France last year and an English 'van had a square section connection that fitted rigidly into where the 'vans tow connection should have been. It was held to the 'van with, is it called a Clevis Pin, ('R' shaped piece of metal)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
My bike is 240 kg so this still isn't heavy enough.

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
I don't really understand what happened to the link. I was just looking at the web site on my Ipad but now can't get back to it either through the link or through the Ipad page which i left open! However, I have found a You Tube video on another variation called YO Remorque www.yo-remorques.com and one on the Tracty which can still be accessed.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We were in France last year and an English 'van had a square section connection that fitted rigidly into where the 'vans tow connection should have been. It was held to the 'van with, is it called a Clevis Pin, ('R' shaped piece of metal)
Nope it's called ..................... an R pin.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
So what put you off Popeye?

Basically I'm an engineer and I wasn't happy with the mechanics of what I was looking at, I couldn't put my finger on it but I didn't like it plus I wanted it inside the van so that

1. I didn't have to even think about the extra length when reversing
2. I didn't have to worry about prying eyes/something worth stealing
3 I didn't have to pay any more on tolls / ferries / tunnels.
4. I wouldn't have to hang warning triangles on the back of Ruby
5. No additional cost at camp site for trailer
6. No additional cost of purchasing trailer
7. No storage problems for trailer at home or away.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Are you still using the trailer, if not is it for sale?

Sorry I didn't mean to mislead, I never did buy the trailer, I changed Motor Homes instead so that the trike would go inside the Garage.......(y)

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
(n)

Do you mean one of these,, usually found on American rv

image.jpg

Atb,,, lau (y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
what make is your trailer Popeye? - Looks substantial...

See post above, I never bought the trailer, this is a picture from this site......

.....it's just that it is the same as the trike I've just purchased

Broken Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I changed Motor Homes instead so that the trike would go inside the Garage.......(y)

You've got a MH that will take that behemoth ?

Mind you, I have seen a Seicento in the back of one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back