Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
One for all members that have bought a new MH from a dealer...We're thinking of buying a new van ,what is the best discount if any, we can expect from a dealer ,or will they not negotiate on price ? Or will they include any extras eg lux packs/comfort packs ? Like a good deal if I can get one

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There isn't a set "best discount." It depends on a lot of things. Just to name a few examples: the type and value of the van, how much the dealer needs the sale, how you are financing the purchase, the time of year and probably most of all how good you are at negotiation. It's the same as buying a car, never ever pay the windscreen price.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Buy a quality German van in Belgium or Germany... automatic approx 1.40 advantage plus dealer discounts on top of 17% achievable...uttter madness buying here IMO

Want to know more just ask:)

Uk market a joke to put it mildly...you will just meet with resistance and BS.....maybe the pathetic offer of a "free" awning..

Vote with your feet, many of us do and would never go back..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you are considering a continental van bear in mind that the pound has appreciated considerablly against the euro in the last 6 months and unless the dealer has dropped his price he will have a very fat profit margin. Once you have settled on a make and model you can look it up on the site below to see what it sells for in euros and go armed with that knowledge.
Link Removed

Dick

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Uk market a joke to put it mildly...you will just meet with resistance and BS.....maybe the pathetic offer of a "free" awning..

There is some truth in this, just last weekend I was offered a £1300 discount on a Bailey Approach 625, screen price £44715. My daughter recently got a lot more than that off a Kia Sportage at less than half the price of the 625.

Having said that I'm about to do a deal on another Bailey model, after getting a slightly better price on my van and negotiating a few freebies. The fact the dealer is only a few miles from home and has a good reputation swayed me.

Brian

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
One for all members that have bought a new MH from a dealer...We're thinking of buying a new van ,what is the best discount if any, we can expect from a dealer ,or will they not negotiate on price ? Or will they include any extras eg lux packs/comfort packs ? Like a good deal if I can get one

Or another angle, which dealer is in reasonable distance to me so won't need to travel big distances for warranty checks or going back to get problems sorted out. I see you are based in Penrith, a long way if the dealer is a couple of hundred miles away.
Also a dealer that has a solid reputation is better than one just after a quick buck, I think I would get as good as deal as I can from a reputable dealer within a manageable distance.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We got £3500 off the screen price of just over £56k on our van that was in stock and we collected it a week later, taxed registered and with a bottle of champagne in the fridge.
Seemed a good deal to me.
Allan

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Some useful information here.

Broken Link Removed

Its nonsense..only applies to UK market..and still nonsense!:D

vote with your feet, bag a bargain and better quality into the bargain.

buying in The UK even if dealer at the end of your road:rolleyes:( honestly.... such confidence you have!lol) Its like the victim of abuse, going back to the abuser and asking "please sir what have I done wrong?"they see you coming a mile off and expect it as they mostly sell, low tech, cheap flash, wood frame, overpriced and overweight rubbish:oops:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

vote with your feet, bag a bargain and better quality into the bargain.

buying in The UK even if dealer at the end of your road:rolleyes:( honestly.... such confidence you have!lol) Its like the victim of abuse, going back to the abuser and asking "please sir what have I done wrong?"they see you coming a mile off and expect it as they mostly sell, low tech, cheap flash, wood frame, overpriced and overweight rubbish:oops:

too much sauce again for an old man to handle by the looks of it. NAFC.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015

Hi, Don't think think there is a best discount but you can negotiate. You may be able to negotiate a discount and some extras. I negotiated approx 10% plus a couple of extras. Read Jim's guide it may help. Don't worry about distance either but keep it to what you are comfortable with. There is a network of mobile fitters for warranty work. My MoHo is coming from quite a distance away but two local dealers have agreed to do anything they can to help if a warranty issue arises. This is also backed by Manufacturer and dealer. If they can't do it, the dealer I purchased from can't do it so it would have to back to the manufacturer anyway. Best advice I can give is, if you are happy with the deal, then it's a good one. You will get loads of great advice on here from more experienced folks than me but also be aware of the scaremongering "I know better than you" kind of folks. Good luck (y)

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Thankyou for all for your interesting input ...Just can't wait to get it sorted and off in whatever model we decide to to purchase :)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Thankyou for all for your interesting input ...Just can't wait to get it sorted and off in whatever model we decide to to purchase :)
Take your time deciding. We were set on a u-shaped lounge but a chance meeting with a guy at the NEC changed our minds. We never seen it before but a lightbulb came on and we both changed immediately. It took us almost 12 months to decide and we believe we got it wrong. Thankfully we handn't purchased yet.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
In what way is it nonsense, I only posted a link to some tips on how to do "haggling" and answer the OP question.

The OP didn't say what she was going to buy either British/European here or anywhere else....gees a brek

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Haggling....Its hardly British is it. I suppose its a spin off from this multi cultural society I keep hearing about :).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In what way is it nonsense, I only posted a link to some tips on how to do "haggling" and answer the OP question.

The OP didn't say what she was going to buy either British/European here or anywhere else....gees a brek

I was talking about advice gleaned from pages of MMM nonsense, thats what I meant, no personal comment on you whatsoever?lol
The biased Magazine that cant review vans properly and give anything like the necessary information for peole to make an informed decision OR be assed to run and moderate a forum property? gets short shift from me I'm afraid...:)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I was talking about advice gleaned from pages of MMM nonsense, thats what I meant, no personal comment on you whatsoever?lol
The biased Magazine that cant review vans properly and give anything like the necessary information for peole to make an informed decision OR be assed to run and moderate a forum property? gets short shift from me I'm afraid...:)
So true, I watched the video of the jerk do a walk round on the "Luxury MotorHome of the year 2015". N+B Flair. I had recently ordered one and spent some time examining the extras and going to a German dealer. The reviewer points to the open locker containing a large black plastic tank. "Huge fresh water tank" he says. Idiot, its the black marine tank, and a valuable extra to make a point of for interested followers.
In answer to the post, go to Europe and look for 15% plus off the Euro list price. Save mega bucks and find dealers who know what they are talking about unlike many UK ones who from my small experience have absolutly no conception about the products they sell.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you are considering a continental van bear in mind that the pound has appreciated considerablly against the euro in the last 6 months and unless the dealer has dropped his price he will have a very fat profit margin. Once you have settled on a make and model you can look it up on the site below to see what it sells for in euros and go armed with that knowledge.
Link Removed

Dick

Good advise but I bet you will just meet the usual resistance and BS!lol

I want to get the new Ford Fiesta red Econetic S model, so popped into dealer on way back from brighton yesterday, have arranged test drive for Tuesday as they have demonstrator on the way....

So we sat down to discuss figures, I told him I always come here as closest dealer but never buy as you never get anywhere near rival dealers. This invigorated him to offer a paltry less than £400 discount on a 16k plus car. Got home, went on line, and two well known online brokers offered discounts of £3.5k, car delivered to my door.

Have printed quotes to show dealer after test drive. So a broker can make his commission, supplying ford dealer his, and I still get a £3.5 k plus discount. How can they do it and not my local dealer. Motorhomes no different

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I hate the word haggling
Much prefer 'negotiation' as it refers to two people working together to achieve a common goal - one buying and the other one selling

Lovely......That's so British!.:giggle:

Me? I'm down in the gutter slugging it out making them cry trying to squeeze the deal I want.:D

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I hate the word haggling
Much prefer 'negotiation' as it refers to two people working together to achieve a common goal - one buying and the other one selling

I agree. A deal is only good if its good for both parties. There has to be something in it for both otherwise someone is going to feel done out of something. I have dealt all my life, but will only deal if both parties are happy. You can only tighten a nut so far before something has to give.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry I don't see it like that at all, especially in the UK where you just meet brazen resistance. They are sitting on a large chunk of change from sale of a motorhome, it's my job to relieve them of a larger proportion then they want to give me:) This why I shop in Europe as far more accommodating and knowledgable about what they sell. Over there what you say very true.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I have to agree with the judge. We did our research on what we liked best, and coming from a big twin axle swift caravan,,,, boy was it hard. Big coachbuilt, tag axles,,you name it, we went and looked. Then we saw a A class at one CC site and we were sold. As the judge says, the way the euro is, it's a no brainer. Ok, it's left hand drive and I don't think we will be hopping over the channel every other weekend, but look at our avetar, the smile on SWMBO face, and that says it all. We saved thousands and will be doing it again when we upgrade. ;)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Good advise but I bet you will just meet the usual resistance and BS!lol

I want to get the new Ford Fiesta red Econetic S model, so popped into dealer on way back from brighton yesterday, have arranged test drive for Tuesday as they have demonstrator on the way....

So we sat down to discuss figures, I told him I always come here as closest dealer but never buy as you never get anywhere near rival dealers. This invigorated him to offer a paltry less than £400 discount on a 16k plus car. Got home, went on line, and two well known online brokers offered discounts of £3.5k, car delivered to my door.

Have printed quotes to show dealer after test drive. So a broker can make his commission, supplying ford dealer his, and I still get a £3.5 k plus discount. How can they do it and not my local dealer. Motorhomes no different
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Barbara Hughes

Barbara Hughes

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Penrith
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Since 2015
Ok we've looked at both Continental and British vans ,however being our first van, We don't want to be led up the garden path . We've Got interest in a Burstner and a Bailey ..I know the burstner is probably much better built ,but I do like the bailey too For comfort in the lounge department. Which esp in this country we will be in a lot of the time due to weather conditions.. at the end of the day when spending 45-60k cash, it's got to be the best model at the right price for us
So going to be negotiating rather than Haggling very soon I hope..:)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Oh dear...I think you can do better regard both of the above. Both have well documented build quality problems:censored: and with Bailey you have to pay something like £300? Every few years to get joints tightened? Yes seriously!lol

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Will European dealers supply RHD vehicles to British spec at the same big discounts?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Will European dealers supply RHD vehicles to British spec at the same big discounts?

Some can if manufacturer allows it, but not many. They charge about 2k more for the privilege, here They add another 10k plus :(

I have to ask why though, as all it does is: mean a delay in delivery, as RHD runs more infrequent. Plus you loose the advantage of buying from stock? and selling or PXing back into a much larger market in Europe

have to say rather spend the money on extras and pick up a bargain...much prefer LHD anyway!:)

Last edited:

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Some can if manufacturer allows it, but not many. They charge about 2k more for the privilege. I have to ask why though as all it does is, it mean a delay in delivery, as RHD runs more infrequent. Plus you loose the advantage of buying from stock?....have to say rather spend the money on extras and pick up a bargain!:)

Doesn't the big savings dissolve when trying to trade in or dispose of the van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back