LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I just got to thinking how things change with this hobby of ours. I started off with a caravan years ago, then went to a European MH as it was easier touring. Then several American RVs both touring and long winter stays. Then back to a European for mostly touring. Then to the present fifth wheel outfit which we are overwintering in before touring in the summer. I went to look at a BIG American travel trailer yesterday to leave on my winter quarters on a permanent basis. Am very tempted.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
full circle eh :)

Exactly Jim. The only thing that has not changed over the years is that I like sitting in the sun. The thing that has changed is the way I get to it :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've been full circle a couple of times.. as the family grows and shrinks so do the vans and caravans.. now downsizing to a >7mt van ..
it's ever evolving and changing situation.. in a few years it may well be a 6mt PVC

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You would be better off with leaving a big caravan in beni and storing it off site
....far cheaper! They even deliver and collect to site for you, just have to call with dates. Last time I heard storage was 1 euro a day. My mate has a nice static on arena blanca for sale.....but the fees mount up when your not using it all the time.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
You would be better off with leaving a big caravan in beni and storing it off site
....far cheaper! They even deliver and collect to site for you, just have to call with dates. Last time I heard storage was 1 euro a day. My mate has a nice static on arena blanca for sale.....but the fees mount up when your not using it all the time.

There are not many caravans that come anywhere near a 36ft twin slide travel trailer. I spend at least 8 months of the year in Benidorm now. I have perhaps the best pitch in Benidorm or maybe one of the best pitches in Spain. I have it on a full time basis now, and pay for it all year round to secure it. Arena Blanca is too far out for me and having spent the last 15 winters on the site am on now, am not about to move now. I would perhaps be better off financially renting an apartment, but I like campsite life. I still have my fifth wheel outfit for touring when the mood takes me, so best of both worlds. I will perhaps put the fiver into storage here in Benidorm for when I want a change of scenery when its not raining in Portugal.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
There are not many caravans that come anywhere near a 36ft twin slide travel trailer. I spend at least 8 months of the year in Benidorm now. I have perhaps the best pitch in Benidorm or maybe one of the best pitches in Spain. I have it on a full time basis now, and pay for it all year round to secure it.

Just out of curiosity what would a full time pitch cost for a year,not necessarily the best one just an average one ?

Vlad

Deleted User
We have done a similar thing by siting our fiver permanently at Cabanas in the 'wet' Eastern Algarve, not this year though!
The competition for the bigger pitches was becoming such that if we placed the fiver in storage we may not have been able to get on a pitch when we wanted so we bought a caravan for touring and the fiver stays on the pitch.
The price you have negotiated seems very good for Benidorm, if we stayed for 8months it would cost 4300 euros,we pay a different rate when not on site, this includes two unlimited 16 amp hookups when in residence. The pitches are not serviced but I can get the caravan and the pickup on the pitch so that saves on storage charges for the caravan.
This will be the second summer that we have left the van and so far things are working out well.
Your idea sounds good to me.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have done a similar thing by siting our fiver permanently at Cabanas in the 'wet' Eastern Algarve, not this year though!
The competition for the bigger pitches was becoming such that if we placed the fiver in storage we may not have been able to get on a pitch when we wanted so we bought a caravan for touring and the fiver stays on the pitch.
The price you have negotiated seems very good for Benidorm, if we stayed for 8months it would cost 4300 euros,we pay a different rate when not on site, this includes two unlimited 16 amp hookups when in residence. The pitches are not serviced but I can get the caravan and the pickup on the pitch so that saves on storage charges for the caravan.
This will be the second summer that we have left the van and so far things are working out well.
Your idea sounds good to me.

My pitch is fully serviced, with water, black and grey dump, TV, internet and 4kw of electric per day. If am here for 8 months @ 450 Euros per month, thats 3600 Euros. It costs 1000 Euros each way to bring the van down, so that works out at 5600 Euros for 8 months. I still need transport when here but it only cost half the price to bring that down. So for the extra 200 Euros I get a full time pitch with no hassle. The travel trailer am looking at is huge and the family can use it when am not here. Am becoming very tempted as its easier to tour from this end than the UK.

Deleted User
My pitch is fully serviced, with water, black and grey dump, TV, internet and 4kw of electric per day. If am here for 8 months @ 450 Euros per month, thats 3600 Euros. It costs 1000 Euros each way to bring the van down, so that works out at 5600 Euros for 8 months. I still need transport when here but it only cost half the price to bring that down. So for the extra 200 Euros I get a full time pitch with no hassle. The travel trailer am looking at is huge and the family can use it when am not here. Am becoming very tempted as its easier to tour from this end than the UK.

Your idea sounds good to me and deserves some serious consideration at least. When we decided to site the fiver our thoughts were very similar to yours, this winter for various reasons we have not used the caravan for for short trips around Portugal and Spain but that was our intention and hopefully we will do that next winter.
As you say, there may be cheaper ways of having a base in a place that you like but if what you propose is what you want to do and it is affordable then I would give it a go.
My philosophy is that nothing lasts for ever and if things don't work out exactly as planned then change again, you seem to be well versed in the arts of buying and selling!Supposed to be a smiley face there but I am using one of these tablet thingies and it seems to have a mind of it's own.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Down here Marbella way I was paying €435 a month including electric, un-serviced pitch.
But it was a particularly cold winter so the owner now wants to charge for electric.
So it will be €400 plus .39cents per KWH.
Not overly happy but what can you do?
I have 2 caravans, one with a 3 meter awning, 2mx2m kitchen tent, 2 storage sheds and 2 estate cars on my pitch and still loads of room for outside dining and sunning ourselves so don't really want to lose the pitch, which will happen if I end the 12 month contract.
Others look on with envious eyes, just waiting for me to go.
Looks like a gas cooker/hob and heater are on the shopping list.

:cooler:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Down here Marbella way I was paying €435 a month including electric, un-serviced pitch.
But it was a particularly cold winter so the owner now wants to charge for electric.
So it will be €400 plus .39cents per KWH.
Not overly happy but what can you do?
I have 2 caravans, one with a 3 meter awning, 2mx2m kitchen tent, 2 storage sheds and 2 estate cars on my pitch and still loads of room for outside dining and sunning ourselves so don't really want to lose the pitch, which will happen if I end the 12 month contract.
Others look on with envious eyes, just waiting for me to go.
Looks like a gas cooker/hob and heater are on the shopping list.

:cooler:

This is what happens when you get a good pitch on a site you like. I have put up with the dustbowl of a carpark for years and now its all been refurbished and hard standing there are people who would almost kill for my pitch. Even one who I considered a friend had enquired about it for next year. The green eyed monster that coverts his neighbours chattels is a dangerous monster indeed.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
did not know there was envy over a pitch. I just snowbirds 5.

When you consider that all snowbirds overwintering are here for the sun, they all want a sunny pitch. Not all pitches have a sunny position. For example, as soon as one van pulls off our little enclave there is a mad rush to take that pitch. One pulled off this morning at 10 am and the pitch had an RV on it at 10-05.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4800 Euros including 1460kw of electric.

Your so money supermarket Dave !
When I think that before having a Mh a fortnights holiday in the sun for me the wife and 2 kids was around 3 grand all in with spending money . :Eeek:
I find it hard to believe that you can have your own home ( van or fiver ) in the sun all year round in the sun for such a low amount of money!
The fact that friends and family could jump on a cheap flight and use the place in the summer when your away just makes it even more attractive. (y)
I'm up for retirement in 22 years so if your fed up of it buy then I'll offer you a fair price for your pitch .

Vlad

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I think that before having a Mh a fortnights holiday in the sun for me the wife and 2 kids was around 3 grand. :Eeek:
I find it hard to believe that you can have your own home ( van or fiver ) in the sun all year round in the sun for such a low amount of money!
The fact that friends and family could jump on a cheap flight and use the place in the summer when your away just makes it even more attractive. (y)
I'm up for retirement in 22 years so if your fed up of it buy then I'll offer you a fair price for your pitch .

Vlad

I just wish I would be around in 22 years time to take your money. If I am, you can have the van as a gift. Now that's generosity for ya :D.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I think that before having a Mh a fortnights holiday in the sun for me the wife and 2 kids was around 3 grand all in with spending money . :Eeek:

Vlad

You wont believe just how many friends you do have once you have accommodation in the sun Vlad :rolleyes:.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well if you get your new static fiver, as there's only me Mrs Vlad and 2 young kids,we will have to pop over and see you .
Whilst you, your good lady and I live like kings in your spacious palatial accommodation and discuss a deposit ,over fine wine and local produce ,the other 3 can rough it in the grounds in a pup tent!

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back