iPad Mini 2 ...... too small or 'just right'? (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I am thinking about buying an iPad Mini 2. Does anyone who has one have any 'user' feedback to offer please? I do really like the portability and the size (and the price!).

Please do NOT post any 'ANDRIOD' suggestions........ I am NOT interested :p I have an iPod, Macbook Air and an iPhone so any attempts to 'preach' will fall on deaf ears.

Many thanks :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We have two IPad wi fi, cellular minis and find they are a handy portable backup to a "normal size" laptop. We bought the mini for its portability. Mine is 64 gb so a fair amount of storage.
Good for browsing, storing pictures and with I cloud receiving pictures from I phones and there are many extremely good apps.
When travelling I use a mi fi so we both can browse.

I still would not be without my windows laptop with its ease of connectivity to other media and copying/moving files etc.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think this is really down to personal choice to be honest. The iPad mini is too small for my liking, I much prefer the standard iPad. My mother in law however thinks that the iPad mini is the best thing since sliced bread! :)
Why don't you pop down to an apple store and try one out, you'll soon know if you can live with it or not.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I am not very good with all this tec stuff.
I have a Ipod mini no idea if its 1 or 2
But just love it.
I have had it since Xmas.
They are idiot proof. (I know my limits)

Mel

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks chaps...... I'm on the fence with size:eek: The main use of the device will be when touring with the van. The appeal with the mini is that I could use it for sat nav if I wish (currently have Asus Phablet for that) and that it would be much easier to stick in the back pack when going out for the day......

More thoughts welcomed (y)

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We both have an ipad mini love them very portable

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you have stated why you want the mini.. ie the sat nav use..

For me I like to store films and so the full size 10" is better just to place on the side and watch.
If I had to use a mini I could but personally the full size suits me..

Finvarra

Free Member
Aug 6, 2014
scotland
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740SE
Exp
Since August 2013
Swithered over that problem and in the end went,for,the regular size ipad because
A it is easier to,see (eyesight not so good) especially ifmusing some sort of,map.
B thenkeyboard is the size of the actual keyboard so typing is easier (it is on my lap at the moment so blame that for the errors!)
Did like the portability of the mini, but easel of use of the larger won out.

Cheers
Lesley

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I used to be indecisive............. now I'm not so sure :oops:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
(n)We both have iPad mini's but I have the 128 gig as my previous one a 32gig was getting kind of full so wiped it and gave it to the missus and she is as pleased as punch with it,
If using for sat nav make sure it's the cellular type or you will need a extra sat nav dongle if you only have the wi fi type, try and get a unlocked one so you can use any SIM card around Europe,
I think they are cracking little machines and now with wi fi printers it isn't a problem printing or scanning content that you would like as a hard copy,
I would go with the largest gig memory you can get as it isn't possible to update it later, don't ask how I know this(n)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have 2 ipad minis and love them to bits. I have used standard sized ipads and ipad airs and find them too big and unweildly to use for hours whilst lying in bed waiting for Mrs bobpalt to eventually wake up or sat on the toilet........

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as mentioned, as it doesn't have a GPS chip, you will need the WiFi+ Celular model to use it as a sat nav.. . not sure how good it is as it uses Assisted GPS and GLONASS

which means no phone signal = no GPS ?

that's how I read it.. probably wrong

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've got both @chockswahay . But only because my iPad is older and the deal was, the (new) iPad mini is joint. Mrs W uses it mainly, whilst I use this. Come motorhoming time, the mini is put in a mount and used as a Sat-Nag in conjunction with CoPilot.

Size does matter! Although mini's are girlie, the mini is easier and lighter to pop into a rucksack or handbag when on the move. Easier to hide too.

Don't forget that it's more manageable on your knee board when flying too(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
as mentioned, as it doesn't have a GPS chip, you will need the WiFi+ Celular model to use it as a sat nav.. . not sure how good it is as it uses Assisted GPS and GLONASS

which means no phone signal = no GPS ?

that's how I read it.. probably wrong

I was wrong.. .. the Wifi+Cellular model has a GPS chip..

Can the ipad mini be used as a sat nav?

This solved my question by Phil0124 on Feb 20, 2013 2:48 PM
Yes, that is also possible. The iPad would get its location form the Phone's position. Which it gets from its GPS chip.

from apple communities https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4826634

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi, my son bought me an Ipad mini for christmas 2013, Les and I shared the laptop up till then.

I 'm not techy and it isn't something I would have bought (wouldn't have crossed my mind). I've had limited use of my dad's ipad and don't see what you'd gain size wise.

However, I wouldn't be without it now, for all the portability reasons already given. I do have to use it in 'landscape' mode though so the keyboard is manageable. :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks everyone :)

I have thought about this purchase for ages :confused:........... however decision finally made :D

I have ordered a Mini 2 with cellular and GPS from John Lewis (with free 3 year warranty :)).

For me the portability is more important than overall size (I do like the iPad Air). I can do all the other 'big stuff' on my Mac when at home :D

Cheers (y)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Had an iPad mini for 2 years. Had no problems with it, so light and easy to take anywhere. I use it for everything, photos, Internet, writing letters and wifi printing. I wouldn't change to anything else.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I have the full size iPad and my wife the mini, I prefer the larger one but it's all about preference, well they say size matters. I find the iPad great for pairing with my iPhone, so if I a signal I have internet and as others have said there great for browsing and storage, in fact I haven't used my laptop in 4 years. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back