Jan 26, 2015
South devon
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,

Am an experienced tent camper but with retirement looming am looking at getting my first motorhome.

Am looking at something that will provide comfort for extended travel in both uk and beyond . Looking at a fully winterised fixed bed( Island type hopefully) to allow all year round travel. Would love to " full time" eventually, children having left home!

The variety of motorhomes available is confusing me now but would love a Winnebago. No restrictions on driving licence as have Class 1 HGV.

Any tips/ help/ advice gratefully received.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Good evening Mark & welcome to Fun

Mel & Lieve

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Hi and Welcome from South Glos. :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Hi

And welcome,

By Winnebago I guess you mean RV, there is advice here and also over on the sister site RVOC.co.uk, the site for RV. Plenty of experience and help. Any questions just shout up

Welcome again

Adrian

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello.jpg and welcome.jpg .

There are a lot of different motorhomes around and it does get confusing.

When you go looking take a camera and notebook as things very soon start to blur.........

You will get a lot of advice as to what to look for etc etc. I will add my few pennies worth here, it's all about the layout and what works for you.

Make a list of what is important - must haves, would like to haves and hates.... that will narrow down the list.

Also remember that although you have an HGV licence now as you get older more restrictions apply - that may or may not be a factor now but could well become an issue in the future. I'm not saying forget the RV (not at all they are fabulous) but it is just something to be aware of.

Whatever you decide there will always be a compromise - what that compromise is depends on you.

Treat the fact finding missions as part of the fun - hope you find your van soon and look forward to meeting you in the future.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Mark and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

You've definitely come to the right place where you will get a load of information whatever your choice!(y)

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Hello and Welcome :)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
View attachment 56535 and View attachment 56536 .

There are a lot of different motorhomes around and it does get confusing.

When you go looking take a camera and notebook as things very soon start to blur.........

You will get a lot of advice as to what to look for etc etc. I will add my few pennies worth here, it's all about the layout and what works for you.

Make a list of what is important - must haves, would like to haves and hates.... that will narrow down the list.

Also remember that although you have an HGV licence now as you get older more restrictions apply - that may or may not be a factor now but could well become an issue in the future. I'm not saying forget the RV (not at all they are fabulous) but it is just something to be aware of.

Whatever you decide there will always be a compromise - what that compromise is depends on you.

Treat the fact finding missions as part of the fun - hope you find your van soon and look forward to meeting you in the future.
What more can I say???? This is all good advice.
Welcome to the forum Mark :welc:

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Hi all,

Am an experienced tent camper but with retirement looming am looking at getting my first motorhome.

Am looking at something that will provide comfort for extended travel in both uk and beyond . Looking at a fully winterised fixed bed( Island type hopefully) to allow all year round travel. Would love to " full time" eventually, children having left home!

The variety of motorhomes available is confusing me now but would love a Winnebago. No restrictions on driving licence as have Class 1 HGV.

Kind Regards,

Mark.
Hi Mark,
Nice to see you on the forum. I can from experience say, read the following, my article on the dealer review page, buy Jims book and go for it.
Best of luck. David.
(y)(y)(y)

Having lived and worked abroad for the last 20 years it was always my intention to purchase a motor home on my return to the UK when I retired. I spent a lot of time and effort to find the right vehicle and eventually settled on a Devon Tempest, 2 years old and with 1500 miles on the clock. What I should have done was completed the purchase after the dealer Dolphin Motor homes had done the habitation check. my mistake!. The van was sent off to their Southampton branch for the habitation certificate to be issued and in my opinion that is what they did, issued the certificate because they certainly DID NOT DO THE WORKS SATISFACTORY, the van was delivered to me with a faulty fresh water tank, waste water problem, toilet badly functioning and other jobs either done badly or not done at all.

The waste water tap was ceased and needed renewing the electrics on the fresh water system were faulty there was a bolt missing from the strike plate on the rear door the swivel seats would not swivel the radio and Sat nav system did not work along with other problems. All of these problems I was assured would be corrected but the van had to go back to Southampton as the Iford branch only has a valeting bay and not a mechanics workshop, image my surprise 3 days later when I phoned Southampton to be told “NO” we do not have a bay to lift the vans and our man has taken his tools to Iford to carry out the faults there, (I assume laying on his back on the floor)

The offending problems were all done bar the radio/sat nav which apparently 3 people had tried to correct, the main dealer had been contacted , who was not prepared to give free advice and eventually the MD fiddled with the system (his words not mine) and after 15 minutes did manage to solve part of the problem. I have solved the remaining fault with a friend. I now intend to have the gas check done by an independent engineer All of the running about has been at my expense and I feel that the company had no interest what so ever after my monies had been banked..

I started by explaining that I had been abroad for twenty years and am aware that the UK is named RIP OFF BRITAIN; service like this only adds fuel to the fire. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY:(:(:(:(:(:(

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi there and welcome to MHF (y)
Brian & Jo

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome ... sure you will enjoy the magical experience of this forum. :)

Broken Link Removed

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
There are a lot of different motorhomes around and it does get confusing

I mentioned to my wife yesterday (we were parked at Glenmore Campsite near Aviemore) that in the 9 months we have owned our Bessacarr 495 we have never seen another one on any site we have stayed on. Indeed I can't remember seeing any two of the same motor home either!

There is certainly plenty of choice. :)

Keith

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we were looking for ours we had slimmed the choice down to three different manufacturers and about 6 models..... only saw one other of the model we bought for sale (never seen another since). Not much to chose between the but the dealer selling the one we didn't buy wasn't very pleasant so we walked away. If they are rude before you part with your cash not much hope for after the sale........ The one we didn't buy was probably better value but I just got a bad vibe from the guy.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi all,

Kind Regards,

Mark.
:welc:
Hi Mark, welcome to Fun, unless you have done a lot of research already and for a particular reason you want a Island bed, I would give it some thought, the amount of room a Island bed takes impedes a lot on the space available to you for living in the day, there are lots of different options and lay outs out there.
A good idea is to get to one of the large motorhome shows like Peterborough, spend some time in different vans getting a feel for them. Keep asking questions pay load, storage etc, I can see you have paid you ÂŁ10 take advantage of it to ask as many questions as you need .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back