Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
14 months
Hi can i ask if all of you use normal crockery or do you use The Melamine Crockery,Plates,cups,bowls etc.,? I want to keep the weight and the rattles down as much as possible so wonder if i should put Melamine in my Motorhome.I hope you dont mind me asking

Mo

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Ask away, thats what FUN is for.

Melamine is light and unbreakable but can stain sometimes, 'glasses' look good and dont break and hold their liquor well unlike the members on here:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Hi can i ask if all of you use normal crockery or do you use The Melamine Crockery,Plates,cups,bowls etc.,? I want to keep the weight and the rattles down as much as possible so wonder if i should put Melamine in my Motorhome.I hope you dont mind me asking

Mo

i have just put 1/2 an asda s/price £3;00 set on the van
taken the 4 place melamine off just didnt like my grub on it
put the tea towel over top and wedged in beetween plates saucers and bowles in the plate rackedit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Caggsie

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
N Wales
Funster No
Exp
2 yrs
We tried the melamine but found that the plate shot across the table with very little force. I know that a table mat helps. Also not cheap. I bought the cheapy range from Tesco and use a couple of what at the time were £1 rubber type trivets, works a treat at keeping the rattle to zilch, also very slim and double up as place mats albeit small ones. Saves things going for a walk when you least expect them to:thumb: I still use the melamine for emergencies. Also very replacable if necessary as they are available as a set (4 place setting) or individualy.

regards

Karen

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We used melamine for years our latest van has Crockery included which seems no more noisy than the melamine.
I prefer to eat off crockery for one thing melamine plates are cold, we did give up with melamine mugs - stained too much.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The Melamine Crockery,Plates,cups,bowls etc.,? Mo

Melamine.

Only problem is eating a steak and you can feel the knife cutting the plate. Although the plates look OK 18 months on.

Melamine is fine for wine. As long as you have enough wine in stock.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We had a set of Melomine but got rid of it for the same reasons as the previous posters.. now have a set of white Luminarc glass table wear bought in France.. much nicer to eat off..

More about Luminarc

Link Removed
During the manufacturing process, numerous tableware items (plates, dishes, bowls, cups and some glasses) go through a specific thermal treatment called tempering in order to guarantee a better mechanical and thermal resistance. Two to three times stronger (depending on the item) than most items of similar thickness, tempered Luminarc products are therefore able to withstand numerous shocks.

“The pendulum test is also available for glassware: the item is held in place whilst a marble of a given mass, put into action by a lever, creates a shock on the rim... "
Luminarc tempered products also withstand temperature differences of around 135°C, which means that it is possible to microwave a food container that has just come out of the fridge.

Last edited:

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We bought a trade pack of high quality (thicker than normal) paper plates, 50 large "main meal", 50 breakfast-bowl type. No more washing up :Smile: Easy to store, no rattles, job done :thumb:

For cups, has to be the real deal...proper crockery mugs...a brew just aint a brew without the real thing !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We bought a trade pack of high quality (thicker than normal) paper plates, 50 large "main meal", 50 breakfast-bowl type. No more washing up :Smile: Easy to store, no rattles, job done :thumb:

They may not rattle but I think I'd rather suffer Melomine than eat off paper plates.. :RollEyes:

In a year we would use 365 x 3 x 3 = 3285 plates :Eeek: .... hardly eco friendly either

Last edited:

Rocles

Free Member
Oct 10, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Clearly I should have added....YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)...we've not used 10 yet in 6 months :roflmto:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
China

We used melamine for a long time, but the mugs stained, the plates suffered from knife scratches. My wife saw a buy one set, get another set free of cheap but quite attractive looking crockery for just a few quid and we carry 4 of wach dinner plates, side plates, bowls and mugs. We still use plastic for glasses except for brandy glasses (2 small ones). If any crockery were to get broken we have at least a complete spare set at home. The extra weight is well worth the improved 'feel' of eating off china - but then with only the two of us, a set of four covers most eventualities.

John

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Our mugs came from Carrefore at City Europe they are great because they stack together but have since seen them for sale in UK we use nice enamel plates and cerial dishes from Boyes very cheap and light weight also can be put under the grill to warm so as not to eat off cold plates except when eating salad of course cannot stand melamine especially hot drinks from melamine mugs .:thumb:

OP
OP
P

purdo4

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
14 months
Thanks for all your replies, has put me off Melamine,i will buy some nice mugs and get normal plates and bowls.

I am so grateful to you all taking the trouble to answer my query,its nice to know that
i can ask any question and wont feel silly about it.You are all so friendly,thank you once again.

Cheers for now,
Mo :thumb:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we have wedgewood china crocks and 4 sizes of glasses.

a MH mate ably assisted by our No. 1 son used sheets of mdf cut to the size of the cupboards. they then cut out holes for each size plate, dish & glass. the plate & dish stacks are kept in place with dowel rods fixed through the mdf sheet. we put non slip material cut to size between the stacked plates & dishes.

it all stays in place even over italian & portuguese roads/tracks and belgian motorways.::bigsmile:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
OK so someone has to be different. I use melamine in the caravan, although I do have proper mugs (4 for a quid from Poundstretcher) for my coffee. If I decide to do real camping in a tent, I use a plastic picnic set.

In fact I use plastic and melamine plates at home quite a bit too - less likely to break when handled by teenagers. :winky:

I suppose if you're going to do gourmet cooking then a china plate is nice, but I don't go camping to cook - food is a necessary encumbrance to be dished up, doled out and over with asap. Who cares what it's dished up on - it's only there for minutes. :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back