Check out that spare (if you have one) (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
When I recently bought my 03 reg camper, I checked the tyres for wear and age. Wear OK but coming up to 6 years old so, in my book, time to look around for a new set.

I took a quick look underneath to check out the spare - seemed OK, plenty of tread - if not new but difficult/impossible to checking it's age.
I have a long list of "to do" jobs on the camper and one of them is to look more closely at the spare.
A glorious day today so I took it down, still has surface mold pimples so never been on the road, turned it over and there's the date - oh dear - (2202). Been there since the van first came off-line.

So, despite it having no tread wear, no sidewall stressing and no sunlight, at coming up to 13 years old methinks I'll replace it. I know there are mixed opinions on the subject but I like the expression "If it ain't good enough to put on a road wheel, it ain't good enough for the spare".

Driving an older camper? - When did you last check your spare manufacture date?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I've taken mine out from the cage underneath the M/H and placed it in the locker,

1- it's easier to check the pressure,

2- If I ever have a puncture and have to call the Greenflag fellas out, they won't have to grovel around underneath lying on a shittie road. If I wouldn't like to do it! Don't see why they should!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The two on the rear of our Hymer were 1998 and 1999.........:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:......LAST YEAR!!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You can buy an extension tube for checking under-slung spare tyres. They fit onto the existing valve and are fixed close to the skirt of the van for easy access. Forget what they're called now and where you get 'em. Think they used to be about 17 quid or less. Saves getting s*** in your eyes or banging your head. :emo: Better still, you're more likely to check it, rather than giving it the go-by

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
It may seem daft, but we just carry a spare tyre, if we get a flat we squirt it the sealant, we couldn't change a shell,, and then when we see a garage we will,just ask them to,change the tyre, and not have to wait for the garage to order one...

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I've taken mine out from the cage underneath the M/H and placed it in the locker,

1- it's easier to check the pressure,

2- If I ever have a puncture and have to call the Greenflag fellas out, they won't have to grovel around underneath lying on a shittie road. If I wouldn't like to do it! Don't see why they should!
Because you pay them to do it, just a thought(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Not even got a jack, I couldn't change a wheel now, after to op, if I wanted to. :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
As my van didnt have a spare, just a bottle of goo and no compressor, I have just bought a new wheel and brand new remould for £70 delivered. Peeae of mind now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back