Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Love them.. but Jan and Chaz won't touch them.. so I hadn't made for ages..

Took the notion and bought a bag yesterday and stepped half overnight and cooked today.. jezzzz I forgot how much the swell.. I'll be eating for a week.. :ROFLMAO:

yum yum.. :D
You need a double portion of Uncle Aardvark's Gradely Auld Lanky No1 Fart Power Mushy Peas Jim. (y)(y)
Directions. Eat peas quickly. Now consume three pints of Joseph Holt's finest mild beer.........Have a tab, and watch Top Gear :rofl:....now, remove all your clothes, and stand in a wide open space, preferably with a fire engine in attendance. The resulting explosion will measure about 6.7 on the Rectum Scale........(y)(y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When we lived in Jo'burg there was chippy owned by a Scottish couple, .. called the Fishhook, along with Scotch pies, black pudding, Cod and haggis suppers, they served mushy peas .. they were queued out on a Saturday night .. they also posted the footie results on a blackboard .. Celtic and Rangers posters decorated the walls.

This was in the 70s, pre TV days in RSA, when news from home was only available by buying a British newspaper, that was not only several days old, but cost a fortune..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We only use tinned ones and found some of the value brands are far better than known branded ones
For what the cheap ones cost if there are crap we just bin them and don't buy that brand again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I used to visit friends who live in Nottinham. . ... they used to take me to a Pea Shop. They just sold you cartons of mushy peas with a plastic spoon... yummy... On top of the counter was salt, a bowl of vinegar and a bowl of mint sauce with ladels... You just helped yourself. My mouth is watering now just thinking about it. :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We only use tinned ones and found some of the value brands are far better than known branded ones
For what the cheap ones cost if there are crap we just bin them and don't buy that brand again
WHAT!! My God John, sheer sacrilege!! :Eeek::Eeek: You need to buy the peas dried, then soak them over night with a block of soda.........(y)(y)(y)
Pedant!! :tounge: We buy Smedleys from Lidl. Better than any of the stuff from the big supermarkets, very much on a par with the ones the chippy sells (y)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Traditional Mushy Peas - A Great British Delicacy
Home made mushy peas do not contain the range of additional ingredients and luminous green colouring which some commercially made mass-produced (tinned) versions contain. If you make them yourself they are really rather nutritious. Like all legumes, peas are a good source of protein.

http://h2g2.com/entry/A87795904

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You could always use them to make mushy pea curry sauce (Slimming World Recipe).

Really easy recipe: 2 tins mushy peas, tin of tomatoes, tin of baked beans, curry powder to taste and 5 pickled onions - just blitz them all together and then heat.

Just use the sauce to make whatever curry you want - chicken, turkey, beef, prawn etc.

Apparently tastes like chip shop curry sauce but wouldn't know as have never bought it.

Denise

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Love Mushy Peas with Sunday Dinner & Fish Chips Mushy Peas oh and chips Mushy Peas Sausage and gravy, over Christmas I get the catering size tin from Macro so always on tap. Rest of the year traditional soaked over night ones.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I tasted mushy peas for the first time 4 years ago after my cancer op, I could only eat mush so gave them a go, they served their purpose and filled a hole but can't I was to excited by them but could have been my taste buds at that time. My daughter loves chip, fried rice and barbecue sauce.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! YUKEEPOO!!! spit spit spit!!! Gravy WITH Chips???
Heretics! Perverts! up country WEIRDOS!!

Yuk!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
WHAT!! My God John, sheer sacrilege!! :Eeek::Eeek: You need to buy the peas dried, then soak them over night with a block of soda.........(y)(y)(y)
Too much farting about.
When I want mushies I want them now, not tomorrow or when they thaw out.
Same with home made bread and soup..... Can't wait, No patience.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I tasted mushy peas for the first time 4 years ago after my cancer op, I could only eat mush so gave them a go, they served their purpose and filled a hole but can't I was to excited by them but could have been my taste buds at that time. My daughter loves chip, fried rice and barbecue sauce.
Try them again, darlin'. But add mint sauce. Then if you don't like that, try half a teaspoon of sugar. Oh no. I gotta go and get some mushy peas after reading this thread again. :(

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
six slices of bacon cut up cooked till crisp in bottom of soup pot while pot is still very hot poor in 1 pint of veg stock ade sum spuds carots and peas cook till ready and serve yum

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
All this talk of mushy peas, I want some for tea now. Do you think I could stir fry some with turkey, stir fry veg & noodles?

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All this talk of mushy peas, I want some for tea now. Do you think I could stir fry some with turkey, stir fry veg & noodles?
Yes, but don't add too much turkey, stir fry veg & noodles. You don't want to spoil the flavour.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back