Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Hi all, anyone knows if the "lane change" operation of the indicators on the van can be disabled - its so sensitive that I find every time I dip the lights or turn the indicators off, the "lane change" flashing activates. Its very misleading to anyone behind! I'm not sure if this is the same with all Ducato's or if mine is not quite right. Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I wish I could disable it on my Citroen version, it is annoying and have some times touched it when going for the cruise control stick.:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
True, just the bulb then.
The point is it is the indicators that are flashing ( the ones on the corners of the van to say you are turning) so you cannot take the bulbs out. The idea is that you just touch the switch and the indicators will give 6 flashes to say you are changing lane, trouble is if you activate the system accidentally you cannot cancel it so it gives the 6 flashes.

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
I guess it must be something built in to the computer but certainly is a pain in the butt!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This must be a later feature as it's not present on my 2008 x250
I imagine it is something you have to become accustomed to.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Mine has the same wretched indicator switch, which I first came across on a Vauxhall. They are a bit "wobbly" and lack a positive on/off action.

Invention of the devil.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My berlingo has this function which I recall when new in 09 was a little troublesome but I now take it for granted without issue.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having driven hundreds of these vans I've never encountered it as a problem, I find it is a useful feature. If you wish to change lanes on a dual carriageway then to indicate your intention you just partially move the stalk in that direction/release and the indicators flash five times (I think on Fiat/Pug/Citroen, my wife's Focus flashes 3 times by the same method). I hesitate to suggest it but perhaps you need to be more refined with your controls?

D.

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
I've found if you push the stalk down for a couple of flashes then release it cancels the five flashes.

OP
OP
OldWomble

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Having driven hundreds of these vans I've never encountered it as a problem, I find it is a useful feature. If you wish to change lanes on a dual carriageway then to indicate your intention you just partially move the stalk in that direction/release and the indicators flash five times (I think on Fiat/Pug/Citroen, my wife's Focus flashes 3 times by the same method). I hesitate to suggest it but perhaps you need to be more refined with your controls?

D.
The problem with ours is it is too sensitive. For example, you put the left indicator on and leave it on to say, make a left turn, you then just touch it to cancel and it bounces so far that it then activates the 5 flashes on the right indicator. Very frustrating for anyone behind you! I've driven other vans with the same system and its never a problem. It just seems like ours is extra sensitive!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The problem with ours is it is too sensitive. For example, you put the left indicator on and leave it on to say, make a left turn, you then just touch it to cancel and it bounces so far that it then activates the 5 flashes on the right indicator. Very frustrating for anyone behind you! I've driven other vans with the same system and its never a problem. It just seems like ours is extra sensitive!
It sounds as though the mechanical self-centring of the stalk is at fault. If possible try one in a different van to check. If it is OK examine the stalk, find out how it centres, then increase the resistance to movement.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have experienced the same problem. I think it has a lot to do with the different seating positions of different drivers & where your hands naturally fall on the wheel. The indicator stalk is quite high up the wheel. If your hands are low down, as is often the case with a tall driver who has to sit well back, the action of dipping the headlights requires you to move your hand both upwards & then towards you. If you rush & don't keep these movements entirely separate, then you also set off this series of right hand indicator flashes.

I've got better at it with practice, but it was a real problem when I first got the van.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's the same on both later X250's & current x290's, it's a hair trigger only touch the stalk 1mm movement will do it, then the automatic reaction is to cancel the indicator that just sets it off in the other direction, so you end up driving down the road looking like a blithering idiot.
With all these old boys driving Motorhomes perhaps not so far from the truth.:LOL: Perhaps Fiat realise this and it's a built in safety feature to make other drivers give you a wide berth.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

So if you leave it to self cancel does it flick the five flashes in the other direction?

D.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So if you leave it to self cancel does it flick the five flashes in the other direction?

D.
If you touch it in the opposite direction to the first time it immediately starts it's 5 flashes on that side. It tends to be an automatic reaction as you think you've knocked the indicators on by accident or forgotten to cancel them, once you have touched the stalk you soon realise your mistake.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If you touch it in the opposite direction to the first time it immediately starts it's 5 flashes on that side. It tends to be an automatic reaction as you think you've knocked the indicators on by accident or forgotten to cancel them, once you have touched the stalk you soon realise your mistake.

That is not the answer to my actual question Lenny, if you leave the indicators to self cancel does it flick so far as to trigger the five flash in the opposite direction? If not then there is not a problem with the equipment, if yes then there is. How many vehicles have you driven that have this feature? I've driven hundreds, literally, hundreds and the first two caught me out then I learned to use the indicator stalk in the way the designers intended. I don't often agree with "designers" but they got this idea right in my book.

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That is not the answer to my actual question Lenny, if you leave the indicators to self cancel does it flick so far as to trigger the five flash in the opposite direction? If not then there is not a problem with the equipment, if yes then there is. How many vehicles have you driven that have this feature? I've driven hundreds, literally, hundreds and the first two caught me out then I learned to use the indicator stalk in the way the designers intended. I don't often agree with "designers" but they got this idea right in my book.

D.
If it self cancels there is no problem. It is in circumstances when due to small movements of the steering wheel, such as lane changing, the self cancelling is never going to function that this foible appears. You manually cancel and find it is flashing on the other side, cancel that and the reverse happens.

The trick is to just lightly touch lever during lane changing. Press too hard and you go alternately winking down the road into the far distance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

D.
Can't claim hundreds but certainly dozens, current car has the feature and not a problem, all the cars I've driven you flip the leaver up or down for about a second and it works.
With the Fiat you barely have to touch it, a light touch you are not even aware of sets it off. Another annoying thing with it is when you actually intend to use it if you hold the leaver up/down for more than half a second the indicators stop the instant you let go of the leaver. Never had that happen with a car I've driven.

It's not just me every one I know who has a Fiat X250/290 complains about it, yet they don't have a problem with the same feature on their cars.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If it self cancels there is no problem. It is in circumstances when due to small movements of the steering wheel, such as lane changing, the self cancelling is never going to function that this foible appears. You manually cancel and find it is flashing on the other side, cancel that and the reverse happens.

The trick is to just lightly touch lever during lane changing. Press too hard and you go alternately winking down the road into the far distance.

But lane changing is the whole purpose of this feature, to indicate an imminent lane change you don't fully engage the indicators, you partially move the stalk in the desired direction and release it whereby the indicators on that side flash five times then stop so no need to manually cancel.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
So I'll repeat my question for those who missed it and see if anyone can answer it. Lets say you arrive at a junction indicating to turn left, as you straighten up after the turn and the indicators self cancel does the stalk "bounce" far enough to trigger the five flash to the right?

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't claim hundreds but certainly dozens, current car has the feature and not a problem, all the cars I've driven you flip the leaver up or down for about a second and it works.
With the Fiat you barely have to touch it, a light touch you are not even aware of sets it off. Another annoying thing with it is when you actually intend to use it if you hold the leaver up/down for more than half a second the indicators stop the instant you let go of the leaver. Never had that happen with a car I've driven.

It's not just me every one I know who has a Fiat X250/290 complains about it, yet they don't have a problem with the same feature on their cars.
I agree, it's obviously a feature some people (see above:)) like but I find it a pain. I think I've got used to it now but I would prefer a traditional control with three positions and a positive action.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back