Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks to all who helped by answering my questions regarding this job . I wanted to site the fillpoint above the truma flue as this is level with the top of the gas bottles but the installation instructions advised against it . at least this way there are no gas joints in the living space so it will be less of a worry of leaks in future .

Attachments

• IMG_20150224_122055.jpg
    IMG_20150224_122055.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 251
OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks guys , just got to buy some metal and make a support strap . Andy , did you use longer screws to fit your support to the back of the LPG fillpoint ?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Slightly yes but doesn't it come with a long and a short set? if you remove the filler cover and look in can you see the ends of the screws?
As it happens I've taken mine off for more paint as it gets a right pasting under there.
CA_02241512565965-XL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
God it's cold outside ! Yes screws have just broken through into filler cover . just one set of screws in mine .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Filled up cylinders today at Bolton's bottle gas , they sell calor bottles and LPG . reversed up to where a van was already being filled , jumped out of van , went round to the back , where a man was on with filling my van !
Had a chat with chap and told him I had just fitted system and wanted to check if it had any leaks , to which he replied , "a chap came in last week and I only put 2 quid in and it was pi**ing out ont' floor , just get home and check it with soap and water , but it looks reet "

Great bloke , great service and great price @ 53p

Got home ( after taking dog round reservoir ) and all joints checked out fine .

Nozzle was very small and with most of the hose resting on floor , there was no pressure on side skirt , only problem is I didn't do it myself , but he certainly made it look easy . made a good whoosh when disconnected , I'd better remember that , it could make you jump !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Nozzle was very small and with most of the hose resting on floor , there was no pressure on side skirt , only problem is I didn't do it myself , but he certainly made it look easy . made a good whoosh when disconnected , I'd better remember that , it could make you jump !

Not quite as easy as it looks, some pumps can be a right faff, and wear gloves it's bl**dy cold, easy to get freezer burn if not careful.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks Lenny , will stuff some gloves in somewhere , can't remember if the man wore gloves .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks to all who helped by answering my questions regarding this job . I wanted to site the fillpoint above the truma flue as this is level with the top of the gas bottles but the installation instructions advised against it . at least this way there are no gas joints in the living space so it will be less of a worry of leaks in future .
Why did the installation instructions advise against putting the filler above the flue?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I am about to install my kit and was planning on putting it on the side panel. Am I better off putting it in the skirt or below?

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I can only think that once filled up there will be pipework including filler full of gas and if there was any leakage, and the boiler fired up possible BANG.
It has been known that valves can leak, possibly the heat could damage the valve seals.

John.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Why did the installation instructions advise against putting the filler above the flue?
It was just a diagram giving advised minimum distances from flues , windows etc . no wording sorry .

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I am about to install my kit and was planning on putting it on the side panel. Am I better off putting it in the skirt or below?
I too planned on the side panel . in my circumstance it would have meant the back of the filler would be inside the living area , albeit in a cupboard . you can get around this by fitting a shroud and vent hose available from gasit .
If you damage side panel , it would be a large problem whereas my skirt was much smaller and easy to replace ( spare parts being obtainable easily a different matter )
If you mean fit fillpoint below skirt level on a bracket that would be OK if you could bend down that far easily , I often can't . also if your skirt is fibreglass it would probably need reinforcing . I noticed today that the LPG man connected the nozzle and left it connected unsupported , so you wouldn't have to be bent over constantly .
If you meet up with other motorhomers , have a look at what solutions they have come up with .
If you need any more ideas , I'll try and help , otherwise there are plenty of others on here who will gladly help .

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I too planned on the side panel . in my circumstance it would have meant the back of the filler would be inside the living area , albeit in a cupboard . you can get around this by fitting a shroud and vent hose available from gasit .
If you damage side panel , it would be a large problem whereas my skirt was much smaller and easy to replace ( spare parts being obtainable easily a different matter )
If you mean fit fillpoint below skirt level on a bracket that would be OK if you could bend down that far easily , I often can't . also if your skirt is fibreglass it would probably need reinforcing . I noticed today that the LPG man connected the nozzle and left it connected unsupported , so you wouldn't have to be bent over constantly .
If you meet up with other motorhomers , have a look at what solutions they have come up with .
If you need any more ideas , I'll try and help , otherwise there are plenty of others on here who will gladly help .

Many thanks. The rear of the filler would sit behind the back of a cupboard but is further behind the back than I expected so I need to get a straight filler rather than a 90 degree one. As I am having to get a replacement, I am starting to think that a skirt filler would be easier. I have a Mercedes Sprinter van and think that the skirt is metal rather than fibre glass but am tempted to reinforce it anyway.

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Good luck , just keep thinking about it and ask questions as needed .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back