Newbie - Advice on ramps please? (1 Viewer)

McMugsy

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are long term caravaners who have now made that leap into a motorhome (well we will be when it's ready for collection early this summer)!

We are making our list of 'things' we (think) we will need and it looks as though ramps are essential. Has anyone tried the new Froli Round Wheel Leveler and if so was it a good buy?
  • Tested load capacity 1250kg per wheel
  • Need approx 28cm clearance from the vehicle to the ground
  • Maximum height approx 10cm
Thanks

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Looks a bit of a novelty to me and only raises you 100mm. I use Millenco Quatros and find them handy for working under the van too.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi & welcome to the Fun.

I had never heard of this particular type of leveler but in my opinion they give little ground bearing and so would be liable to sink in soft ground. I also reckon they would be awkward to use to lift two wheels to different heights..... Don't think you will beat Milenco Quatro ramps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Milenco Quatro for me too (and a warm welcome to MHFUN).

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
That makes me feel smug - we didn't really know what we were doing as we're quite new but we also got Milenco Quatro and manage quite well with them - as long as Him Indoors is driving and I'm directing anyway :D
The "Froli Round Wheel Leveler" is obviously designed for us ladies who'll inevitable over-run the ramp :mad:
PS - is there a wheel that's NOT round (other than when it's flat of course) ;)

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Look like they would sink on soft ground, not enough surface area touching the ground th spread the load

Adrian

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have Milenco triple levels - not quite as much lift as the quatros, but they work for us - more compact for storage and lighter weight.

Mike

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We just have a pair of yellow ramps-they seem to keep us on the straight and level when we have to use them:LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't see any advantage of the Froli over the yellow Fiamma ramps we use. They both raise the vehicle by about the same amount but the flat Fiamma ramps are much easier to store. The Froli ones seem unnecessarily bulky.

Milenco ramps raise the vehicle the most but they take up too much space for us.

OP
OP
M

McMugsy

Free Member
Mar 5, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thank you all so much for your very helpful advice. The Quatro's are now in the shopping basket.

steviebouy

Free Member
Jun 18, 2011
Pucklechurch, Bristol BS16 9SE, UK
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since July 2011!
Hang on a minute!
Sorry I haven't read this thread from end to end, I have enough of a job finding time to look through all these post as it is.
I don't believe anybody mentioned the fact that these Quattros are HUGE. The given dimensions seem reasonable but they take up a massive amount of storage. Also if you have a smaller van you may not "need" this amount of lift.
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere
Steve

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We are making our list of 'things' we (think) we will need and it looks as though ramps are essential.

I have never found ramps 'essential' .. in fact on most sites the pitches are fairly level.. however, I have noticed a few vans using them on level ground to lift a low nose .. so can be useful.. but even on gentle sloping pitches it is rarely bad enough to warrant ramps.. I have also seen them used to make the van level worse.. :rolleyes:

Personally only only ever owned the Fiamma yellow ones, bought donkeys years ago when we were tuggers.. and found them adequate.. but as said.. they were rarely used..

Before deciding.. Consider size, weight, requirement and where you will store..

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I use Quattro's plus 1 fiamma yellow for third wheel ( bit of over kill ) just like to be level .
BUT you do need room to store/take with you.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
we use Milenco triples, but our van is high at the back end.
I would be wary at making a "think we might need it" list, some of the stuff you think you will need ( in our case a driveaway awning) remains used only once.
Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Many years ago when we were tuggers I was given something similar to the Froli Round Wheel Leveler, tried them once trew them in the bin. They were down right dangerous.

We have a pair of the Fiamma Level Up, the Quattros are far to big and bulky & if you need that much lift it's not a place I would want to stop.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I've never used ramps, I just find somewhere level to park.
Our van is parked on our level drive and it is an uphill walk to the back of van ! . if anything I'll be looking for some where to park that has a slope on it ! Or use my ramps , I used a 3 foot spirit level when we had a caravan but you are in one place longer .
Actually watching the video they would be OK for my situation , but as you say only on firm ground .

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have a pair of Milenco quatro and have used them twice in 7 years, always intending to sell them and buy something smaller but never got around to it. They are large and they take up the whole of the space in one of my outside lockers.
Although they are always with me I always try to find a level pitch anyway which negates the carrying of them :whistle:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have plenty of room for them and indeed a dedicated place to stow. As already observed they are great for lifting the van for other than levelling. I fitted my underslung gas tank and spare wheel carrier with ease using them and air assist suspension on my last van too.
I would say if space is not an issue they are indispensable.
I paid £34 at Lincoln show last year for a second set, they do wear out with heavy vans

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We had a pair of large yellow ramps as part of the kit that we got when we bought our second-hand Calypso. Used them once. 'Van shot off the back of them and they became embedded in the front wheel arches. Had to dig holes in the ground to get the ramps out. Never used them again and have taken them out of the 'van as they take up too much space. We now always check that any sites we book are fairly level and as the aires in France have been on level ground we've not had any problems.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Milenco Quatros for us.. They are used almost constantly !
1) We do like to sleep on the level
2) The fridge, when on gas, works at optimum when it is level
3) We managed to destroy a couple of pairs of Fiamma ones over the years.. So far the Milenco ones are more or less unscathed by the rigors of life with Jaws !! :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We use THS's and DA sites mostly, the farm site at Arneside makes Bovington ranges look like a billiard table :LOL:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Pour a glass of wine, place bottle on table, if it stays put ramps are not needed. If it moves, drink quickly and ramps still not needed (y)
What a brilliant idea, I knew the number a wine bottles we carry were a necessity :wine:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back