Transfering photos from camera to iPad ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I posted this shifty's thread about Samsung tablets.. thought it better for a new topic.

Janet is considering an iPad for traveling with.. .. I'm not interested, can't get on with them, prefer my MacBook Pro ..

My question..
Can someone who has an iPad explain how you transfer photos from a camera to the iPad. ? I asked this question in PC World and didn't get a coherent answer..

I understand you need the iPad Camera connection kit at £25 .. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

has anyone used this.. Or do you have another method ?

Is this review of the connection kit correct ?
ipad.PNG

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the cable does not work, upload the pics from the camera to the cloud using your PC, and this will synchronize with all other devices sharing the cloud account
Hope this helps

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have an adaptor, plugs into bottom of ipad and the camera sim card plugs in that.. You can then view files and load the ones you want... Very simple...
mIne is only a cheap one off ebay, when inserted it says "not compatible" but it does work...
This is for ipad 2 but search and you will find similar for newer ipads.

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If the cable does not work, upload the pics from the camera to the cloud using your PC, and this will synchronize with all other devices sharing the cloud account
Hope this helps

thanks, yes, I know how to do that.. but that is a workaround..
we want it for traveling.. if it cannot transfer photos directly from camera to iPad... without fuss or cloud.. it's a non starter.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
You need an adaptor to fit the camera that has a usb outlet, so fit the adaptor to the camera plug in your iPad lead i.e the usb part attach the other end to the iPad and you should be able to up load your photos, this is what I do and it works fine. :giggle:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You need an adaptor to fit the camera that has a usb outlet, so fit the adaptor to the camera plug in your iPad lead i.e the usb part attach the other end to the iPad and you should be able to up load your photos, this is what I do and it works fine. :giggle:

which adapter do you use .. Apple or generic ?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use this and it works just fine. Currently on latest IOS and is fine
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

thanks.. that is the item I looked at in my OP .. then when I read the reviews it prompted me to ask..

also looked at the Apple Lightening to USB connector and it has bad reviews 24 x 1 star .. http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD821ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry Jim it was the one that came with the camera but I'm sure you could get a generic one. Maybe old fleabay might be your best bet . (y)

maybe Android would be my best bet.. :LOL:

not a tablet lover, but never had issues connecting to my 7" Samsung.. and even though it is for Jan.. I get to sort the problems out..

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Wife has the same problem with the Ipad, tried various adapters but they never work.
I hate the Ipad and stick with my laptop / windows but its getting full up with the wife's photos!

So have started using Dropbox (its free) and means she can transfer pictures from the laptop to the Ipad, so long as we have wifi.

Terry

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Wife has the same problem with the Ipad, tried various adapters but they never work.
I hate the Ipad and stick with my laptop / windows but its getting full up with the wife's photos!

So have started using Dropbox (its free) and means she can transfer pictures from the laptop to the Ipad, so long as we have wifi.

Terry
The problem with Dropbox is that it is very easy to fill up to your limited amount with photos, then they want you to take out Dropbox Pro which is a annual charge.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I ❤️ my iPad - I have a camera connector kit which gives you a cable to connect your camera directly to your iPad to upload your photos. Easy peasy. :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Panasonic LUMIX TZ60 which wirelessly connects to IPad for transferring photos.
With my Canon Eos I put in folders on laptop and sync across to
I Pad.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim she could just take photos with the iPad which can be downloaded to your computer via iTunes, simples. :)

She has a Nikon SLR and wants to store photos on a device while traveling.. not on Apple cloud, not Drop box or any other workaround.. just a simple way of transferring and storing photos from her camera.. not much to ask is it.. why have Apple made it such a chore..

now it looks to me that the best solution is a laptop..

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Had to go and find the box - Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit MC531ZM/A.
I connector for camera; 2nd connector purportedly for memory sticks but my iPad2 doesn't seem to support these.
Apple shop staff are apparently very helpful if you are anywhere near one.

Meant to say I was wrong to say the kit gives you a cable, these are only the connectors, you will need the cable which is supplied with your camera.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I connector for camera; 2nd connector purportedly for memory sticks but my iPad2 doesn't seem to support these.

Meant to say I was wrong to say the kit gives you a cable, these are only the connectors, you will need the cable which is supplied with your camera.

thanks .. same one I linked to in my first post

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp

Doesn't work on my wife's Ipad.

Terry

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
The problem with Dropbox is that it is very easy to fill up to your limited amount with photos, then they want you to take out Dropbox Pro which is a annual charge.

Whoops, I assumed that you could delete them from dropbox once they were transferred!

Terry

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I bought on of those usb/card reader combo things a couple of years ago for a few quid off fleabay and it works fine with my iPad 2...
I'll see if I can find link for you...

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I bought on of those usb/card reader combo things a couple of years ago for a few quid off fleabay and it works fine with my iPad 2...
I'll see if I can find link for you...
The specific link to the one I bought isn't working anymore but a quick eBay search found one that looks exactly the same as mine...
Broken Link Removed

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Been using the Apple Camera connector with an iPad since the first iPad came out and never had a problem.
Can use a USB cable or take the card out of my Nikon and 'It just works'.

Richard.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have an adaptor, plugs into bottom of ipad and the camera sim card plugs in that.. You can then view files and load the ones you want... Very simple...
mIne is only a cheap one off ebay, when inserted it says "not compatible" but it does work...
This is for ipad 2 but search and you will find similar for newer ipads.

Broken Link Removed
Yep we have one of them works a treat.

Most of the latest cameras have wifi, new one we just brought has, works a treat with our PC's bit of a fiddle with the iPad but it works.

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
Oh, what exactly doesn't work and which iPad does she have?

Not sure what Ipad but I'll ask , when plugged in to the Ipad nothing happens at all.
I get very frustrated with the Ipad and avoid it whenever possible, its a relatively expensive bit of Tec that doesn't do what you want and isn't compatible with the majority of software / hardware available. (IMO).

One of the latest updates required removal of picture etc so she could have sufficient room for the update download, afterwards she was able to reload all the items she had removed! What's all that about?

Terry

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I have Ipad, Macbook Pro and Iphone and used to use an Imac when I worked for myself writing and devising learning materials. I think that using an Ipad as a storage device for photos isn't practical. It was never designed for that purpose. You can get a wireless storage device that can be accessed wherever you are and without wifi. This is ideal if you have several devices wanting to share the same files but they are expensive (£100 plus). You can also get this that allows you to use any existing storage devices including usb sticks and makes them available wirelessly to any of your devices. That one will take your SD card from the camera and allow you to shift the pictures onto a storage device or straight onto the Ipad.
ICloud is the obvious answer when you do have wifi access as it stores your photos for you and can be accessed instantly. Similarly Dropbox and the many other cloud storage options. Technology is moving away from needing to carry all our files and documents with us as most people have massive amounts of stored digital material.
Sorry if that was a bit long. Mags

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Another option is to use a WiFi SD card in your camera. I have FlashAir one in one of mine

It's a Class 10 SD card that creates it's own very short range wifi network that you then connect your device to. You use the web browser on your device to access the folders on the card. Cost wise it's about the same as a decent quality standard SD card and also the same as some of the other options suggested here. Downside would be that it's not the quickest transfer so it's not really suitable for bulk transferring. Upside would be that it's universal - you can connect to any device you want that has wifi without messing around with different leads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back