Help! Hymer B584 electrical fault (1 Viewer)

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Woke up this morning and both the water pump and the Sog fan are dead, though they worked fine last night. Other things like heater and lights still work. It was a bit frosty overnight, but even if a pipe was frozen I should hear the pump, surely?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the SOG is powered from the same circuit as the pump (depends how the SOG was installed of course) then it sounds like a blown fuse, which implies a fault in either the pump or the SOG.
Don't know the age of your van, but if it has an Elektroblok EBL99 or EBL100 it is the right hand fuse on the front face of the EBL - rated at 5 amp.

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks JeanLuc / Philip. Yes the Sog and the pump are on the same fuse, though the Sog has its own separate one as well. Anyway, I replaced the fuse in the EBL labelled "Pumpe" and it all works fine now, though it does make me wonder why the fuse blew in the first place. Any ideas? I had to replace the 7.5 that had blown with a 10 because it was the best I could find in my auto-oddments box. Cheers, Nick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Thanks JeanLuc / Philip. Yes the Sog and the pump are on the same fuse, though the Sog has its own separate one as well. Anyway, I replaced the fuse in the EBL labelled "Pumpe" and it all works fine now, though it does make me wonder why the fuse blew in the first place. Any ideas? I had to replace the 7.5 that had blown with a 10 because it was the best I could find in my auto-oddments box. Cheers, Nick
Glad to see that Philip was able to help you. (y)

Now check your frost dump valve on the boiler too, and reset if necessary. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would have thought there is little in the SOG likely to blow the fuse, other than a direct short. Have you checked the condition of the cabling as it tends to get bent a lot with the opening and closing of the Thetford door. If it has been fitted with a 3M SnapLok connector (HATE them) I would check that too.
The other possibility is that the pump jammed temporarily. How old is it? Always worth carrying a spare as they are not that expensive - you could install the new one and carry the current one as a back-up. Don't pay a premium for the Hymer branded pump - it is a Reich twin barrelled model like this:
Link Removed
Make sure, if you decide to get a new pump, that you get the one with a non-return valve in the outlet spigot.
Finally, I would change the fuse back to a lower rated one as soon as possible (as said before, I think it should be 5 amp). It's there to protect the cabling and EBL, not the pump!

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Glad to see that Philip was able to
p you. (y)

Now check your frost dump valve on the boiler too, and reset if necessary. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.
Er, how? The valve looks the same as normal, and hot water comes out of the tap, so I dont think it needs resetting...

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I would have thought there is little in the SOG likely to blow the fuse, other than a direct short. Have you checked the condition of the cabling as it tends to get bent a lot with the opening and closing of the Thetford door. If it has been fitted with a 3M SnapLok connector (HATE them) I would check that too.
The other possibility is that the pump jammed temporarily. How old is it? Always worth carrying a spare as they are not that expensive - you could install the new one and carry the current one as a back-up. Don't pay a premium for the Hymer branded pump - it is a Reich twin barrelled model like this:
Link Removed
Make sure, if you decide to get a new pump, that you get the one with a non-return valve in the outlet spigot.
Finally, I would change the fuse back to a lower rated one as soon as possible (as said before, I think it should be 5 amp). It's there to protect the cabling and EBL, not the pump!

Thanks, Philip. My Hymer is 2005, my EBL is type 101. It has 7.5 printed on the EBL next to the pump fuse. Good thinking about a temporary pump jamming! I inspected the wiring round the Sog, it looks ok. Perhaps I'll get a spare in Narbonne Accessoires today, I got one there once before...
Nick.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My Hymer is 2005, my EBL is type 101. It has 7.5 printed on the EBL next to the pump fuse ...................... Perhaps I'll get a spare in Narbonne Accessoires today, I got one there once before...
Nick.

Point 1 - they have obviously uprated the fuse in the later EBL - I'll aim to remember that if anyone asks a similar question in future.

Point 2 - so not in Somerset then! Hope you are enjoying yourself in (warmer) France.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Er, how? The valve looks the same as normal, and hot water comes out of the tap, so I dont think it needs resetting...
Anytime I've had to remove the fuse, my red anti-frost valve on the boiler has operated and dumped the contents. Maybe I've pulled a different fuse, or perhaps yours might be wired differently, being a 2005 model.

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back